Nav Voice Question

xraytedjim

:
Mazda CX-7 / Mazda 6
Is there a way to change a setting to have the nav actually announce the names of the streets instead of just "turn right in .5 miles." In the manual it states that you should spend as much time as possible listening to the voice prompts and not looking at the screen. Well... in .5 miles, there could be 2-3 different streets that I need to turn right on. It would be nice if she said "turn right in .5 miles onto El Toro Road."

Can I set this up or is she limited in her speech.

Is there a way to change a setting to have the nav actually announce the names of the streets instead of just "turn right in .5 miles." In the manual it states that you should spend as much time as possible listening to the voice prompts and not looking at the screen. Well... in .5 miles, there could be 2-3 different streets that I need to turn right on. It would be nice if she said "turn right in .5 miles onto El Toro Road."

Can I set this up or is she limited in her speech.

Voice is limited to what's in the manual.

Vince.

I think the programming for the nav unit is limited in its abilities. They didn't even put conditional code in how the voice "reads" major highway names;

When it wants me to travel on I95 North, it will literally say: "STAY... ON... EYE... NINETY-FIVE... NORTH". We all understand that the word pronounced "EYE" is the letter "I", which is the initial for "Interstate".

But when it wants me to travel on Route 1 North, it says: "STAY... ON... ARE... TEE... ONE... NORTH". The "ARE TEE ONE" is Rt.1 phonetically spoken, but they could have easily programmed it to know that the word "Route" or any variant abbreviation should be pronounced as "Route" - not "ARE TEE".

That leads me to believe that it does not have text-to-speech abilities and that it would NOT be able to pull a road or street name from the data and announce it verbally.

At best (and this is just a guess) it would only be able to say: "TAKE... A... RIGHT... ONTO... EMM... AYY... EYE... ENN... STREET" For Main Street. Imagine if the road was (and IS in my area) Massachusetts Avenue?

"TAKE.. A... RIGHT... ONTO... EMM... AYY... ESS... ESS... AYY... SEA... AYCH... YOU... ESS... EEE... TEE... TEE... ESS... Ave..."

By the time it's done spelling, you're 1/4-Mile past Mass Ave.

:)

does anyone know how to turn the voice off? I would just like it to show directions without the voice telling me what to do.

turning off voice

quite simple to turn the voice down....just press the mute button on the steering wheel and say the word "softer" continue to do that till it repeats at the volume you want. If you want to change it back do the same thing with the key word being "louder" which will increase the volume.

of course you could also use the menu on the unit itself by going to the settings button and drilling down to volume

does anyone know how to turn the voice off? I would just like it to show directions without the voice telling me what to do.

Use the command "Voice Guidance Off".

Reading the manual will show you this command and many others.

Back