Tune In September 21st for the Lone Star Le Mans on FOX!
Tune In September 21st for the Lone Star Le Mans on FOX!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SRI vs CAI on the DYNO!

08 speed 3

SRI vs CAI on the DYNO!

Got bored the other day so I went to the dyno to test my sri vs. my cai. Take it for what you will. Here are my thoughts. I like the sri better. Plain and simple I believe its safer, looks better, and has the potential to make more topend hp. The dyno did not show that. The intake tested was a fugita cai. I tested it full length and then cut it right after the fugita emblem and tested it again. Test car was a mine with the following mods. Second cat removal, one resonator and muffler removed, fugita intake, turbosmart bc 13-15psi. I also have a mapclamp on the car and is clamped at 3.5 volts. I think thats right around 15psi. Here is the graph. I hope this help will put the debate to rest. Which is better cai or sri. LOL

I will be testing the ets tmic and pg fuel pump hopefully tonight. Wish me luck!!!!!!!
    08 Speed3. Atp 3071r 18psi 396whp 380ftlbs.

Speed3

To be honest it really dont prove anything.You could have not changed anything after the first pull and still get more or less hp,Thats just how dynos work.Just like when someone takes there car to a dyno and they do 3 pulls all 3 will be different and nothing was changed.The red line in the graph seems to be more of a smoother increase then the jagged blue line.I wonder if that means anything.
    car sold Pauter rods,Cp pistons 9.5:1 bored .020,Re-Worked KO4,rear MM,TWM shifter bushings,Cobb SRI,Cobbs AP,Cobb FMIC,Cobb turbo inlet,DNP ceramic coated exhaust mani,TurboXS Dp/racepipe with high flow cat,muffler & 1 resonator removed,1 step colder plugs,Oil CC,Forge BPV,CDFP internals,Debadged, Blacked out reflector tint,Shaved Side Moldings,20% window tint,Clear Factory Bra,ProSport boost gauge,royal P tranny/PP motor oil and more

05 Acura TL / 10 Mazda CX-9

I was thinking abt getting a CAI but the fear of sucking in water makes me lean towards a SRI, but I hate the idea of pulling in hot air from the engine. Although I could just make up a heat shield and fix that somewhat.
    -Jeremy

08 speed 3

I forgot to mention that the redline is sri and the blue line is cai. Like I said take it for what you will. I didnt have the smoothing up high and this was in 4th gear so the line will be more accurate. Not a smoothed out version of what the car is actually doing.

Ps. Shark you dont have to tell me how a dyno works I live on them. My friend owns it and to be honest your statement is false. This dyno has been very consistant for me and all the cars and quads I have dynoed on it. Yes maybe a 1-3whp difference but otherwise pretty close. The only thing Im trying to portray with this post is that there isnt that much of a difference so why say one is better than the other. CAI IS OVER RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just put something on there that flows good and be done with it. Thats the idea.
    Last edited by driver311; 12-29-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

08 speed 3

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOMit View Post
    I was thinking abt getting a CAI but the fear of sucking in water makes me lean towards a SRI, but I hate the idea of pulling in hot air from the engine. Although I could just make up a heat shield and fix that somewhat.
    Dude when your driving the engine bay is full of cool air and not to mention this is a turbo car people. No matter what the ari is going through a hot ass turbo so thats why we have an intercooler. YOu woould be wasting your time and money trying to build some form of shield. If you dont believe me go make some wot pulls and then pull over and feel your intercooler and intake tube. It will be cool to the touch I guarantee.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Speed3

Quote Originally Posted by driver311 View Post
    I forgot to mention that the redline is sri and the blue line is cai. Like I said take it for what you will. I didnt have the smoothing up high and this was in 4th gear so the line will be more accurate. Not a smoothed out version of what the car is actually doing.

Ps. Shark you dont have to tell me how a dyno works I live on them. My friend owns it and to be honest your statement is false. This dyno has been very consistant for me and all the cars and quads I have dynoed on it. Yes maybe a 1-3whp difference but otherwise pretty close. The only thing Im trying to portray with this post is that there isnt that much of a difference so why say one is better than the other. CAI IS OVER RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just put something on there that flows good and be done with it. Thats the idea.
    How is my statement false?Do you want me to think that YOUR dyno shows the same numbers for you evertime you dyno it unless you change something?Also Im not tring to say 1 is better then the other because I dont know.
    Last edited by SharkDiver; 12-29-2007 at 10:24 AM.

08 speed 3

Quote Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
    How is my statement false?Do you want me to think that YOUR dyno shows the same numbers for you evertime you dyno it unless you change something?Also Im not tring to say 1 is better then the other because I dont know.
    Im not debating different days show different numbers. Thats a known fact. But I can do back to back to back dyno runs with proper cooling on the same day and they are always within a few whp. Thats my point. Thats why i say your statement is false. Im not comparing days to day here bud. This was within 20min. of each other. Dynos should be used as tuning tools and as long as you are using them on the same day under the same conditions they are very accurate.

Ps. part of the reason you see alot of peoples dyno runs inconsistant is because of the stock tmic. Heak soaks very easy on the dyno. Most dyno operators dont take that into account for the first few runs. So if you keep a fan on it the whole time your runs will be alot more consistant. Aftermarket intercooler makes for a much more consistant day. Hope this sheds some light
    Last edited by driver311; 12-29-2007 at 11:00 AM.

'07 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Silver, GT

SRI is better... they're cheaper.

08 speed 3

Very true. I like cheap. LOL

2006 Speed6

Nice post. I always wanted to see an un-biased approach to this question.
    2006 MS6 Velocity Red Mica

[installed] Cobb AccessPort OTS Stg 1 - Cobb TIP - CP-E Nano - ETS 3.25" TMIC - Forge BPV - CP-E Motor Mount - Denso ITV22 - Corksport 3" Resonated Test Pipe - Corksport CBE - Mazda Turbo TSB - BC Coilovers - Prosport Premium Boost Gauge - Vent Pod - Dashhawk - Audiolink iPod Adapter - Superbrightleds Parking Lights - Lumenitics Ultra White Fog Lights - Stock Wheels - 215/45/18 Pirelli P-Zero All Seasons - EBC RedStuff Brake Pads
    [Bonus parts] CP-E FMIC - HKS BOV - Protege Garage TIP - Work Emotion CR-KAI 18x7.5 Gunmetal

2008 MS3 GT (SOLD)

CAI is better 'cause it's what I spent my money on and it looks cooler even if the air is not cooler...

mazdaspeed3 black mica

Everybody knows the longer your pipe is, the more it'll scream. I say stick that sucker right thru to the ground!!
    2007BlackMica MS3...its had a little work done on it

Banned

Rust Bucket

so the cai makes more horses and the sri makes more torque, really there about equal just depends on what ur lookin for

Registered Member

hmm, this post makes the cobb sri look like a very good option for me. I wonder if mazda will get pissy about warranty 'cause it's not a mazdaspeed part? Also cobb should make a dry-filter option for the sri.
    07 MS3, cosmic blue, bone stock (for now?)

mazdaspeed 3

mazdaspeed 3

maybe minor diff. between torque and hp, but basically they are getting the same results just the sri cost less and looks better, so basically you are paying more for cai to gain nothing more than the sri
    Current mods:Injen cold air intake, custom 3" turbo back exhaust, Greddy full auto turbo timer, Forge blow-off valve, faze boost/vaccum gauge, shaved emblems, blacked out "M" emblems, Two pioneer 12" subs w/ 1000watt pioneer amp, custom enclosed box.

Near future mods: Front mount intercooler kit, engine management, water/meth. injection....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast