Intake manifold air leak 2000-2.0

robscar

My daughter's car started running poorly. Rough idle, cel, stalling at lights. When she had it looked at she was told it has an intake manifold leak. They also told her that this was a common issue on these cars. Is this correct? Is there a tsb on this problem? Are there any special tools required to perform the gasket replacement? Anything to look out for when doing the repair? I've done this type of repair before, but I don't really look foward to doing this one if I don't have too.

It is on a 2000 es, 5spd, 2.0

intake manifold leak a common problem....not really. what was the cel?

P0171? maf sensor dirty/bad, vacuum leak, O2 sensor....just a guess

I'm not sure if the shop she took it to told her what the light was for. let alone if she would remember what they told her. She showed me the written estimate. I just hate to see her have to spend a lot of cash if it is something that I can do,,,even though I don't really want too. I'm going to put new speakers and stereo in it next weekend. That is more my speed these days.
I told her to contact her local Mazda dealer and see what they say about doing the repair. I will do the same with the dealer near me. Part of the problem is time. She does not live with us and she works at night. So our time that is available together is limited. Should I start this on a Sat afternooon and need a dealer part, we could be screwed.

it is a common problem on these cars... yes, there's a tsb on it
and no, your car has a 1.8, not a 2.0 ;)

Back