How to make my door locks automatic

My wifes' Merc has auto lock at a certain speed which I am happy about, especially if she's on her own. The CX-9 has a 2 stage unlock feature which i use, one click on the remote unlocks the drivers door only, it takes a second click to unlock the rest of the doors and tailgate, handy for when i'm on my own in the car and don't want anyone jumping in the passenger side!

I traded my 02 ford explorer for the 09 cx9 touring (at time of purchase paid about the same for both), here things I had in the venerable old explorer: auto headlights (on when dark), two memory settings in driver (hate it when my wife moves the seat), auto lock when moving (even if you unlock the door it would lock again by taping the brake), driver control over power windows (if you lock the windows in the cx9 it just cut the power to them, in the explorer the driver still had control on all windows), second row seat could fold either of the 3 positions independently.
I don't understand how a car from 2002 can have so many features over one of 2009 on the same price range.

I hear ya... My son messes with the windows all the time. I then have to roll it up and lock it before he rolls it down again because once I lock it, I can't roll it up myself either. Whoever designed the electronics on this car was a total moron. There are quite a few common sense things my 8 year old passat had that my 2008 CX-9 doesn't have....

^^ 2nd that!

I little reprimending can go a long ways. Remember (although most parents don't) we're the adults they are the child, we make the rules they have to follow them, very simple!

You guys are great, but Davicho and CX9SO - you two are so full of crap on this point!! Sooooooooooooo obvious you don't have kids. ROFL!

"...we make the rules they have to follow them, very simple!" - (laugh)(hah)

"...your child is ill behaved? [because they play with power windows]" - I mean why would kids be interested in buttons and moving panels and wind?(rofl2)(hah)

Come on guys. You were kids once. Maybe still?

Last edited:
Uhmmm...three and counting (dont forget we're in a 7 passenger CX-9 forum) and my kids behave because that is how I have raised them and what is expected of them, and they know it!

Thats the problem with "GENERATION "NOW"...the parents don't want to deal with teaching them rules and the consequences for not following them. Then they grow up to be looser "EMO" kids wearing tight homo pants and want everyone to feel sorry for them because society does not understand what their emotions are putting them through...yada..yada..yada...its called growing up and no one said it was easy, so live and learn.

Anyway, getting back to the post...

I am glad to hear it. I have three boys and balancing discipline without subduing their childhood has been a challenge for me. I can tell you that there have been many hours and cold nights spent by my guys but they still find ways to push the boundaries and bend the rules like a team of elite Chinese contortionists.

Three boys here as well. They will push you as far as you let them and thats where pro-active parenting needs to come in...and yes it is a very thin line between teaching them whats right and subduing their childhood. I'd like to think that I am doing a great job although I can see how some people can consider my parenting a bit harsh, and very disipline (military like).

I use the following to help me:

"Fool me once, shame on you"
"Fool me twice, shame on me"

You have to pick your battles. Good kid/bad kid aside. Implementation in my german vehicles did not lock out the driver. Why would the driver need to be prevented from rolling down the window?

Back