How to make my door locks automatic

Hi

I just picked up my CX9 and a noticed that the door locks dont lock when the car starts moving, is this normal?

Here in Mexico is very important to keep your doors locked at all times but they dont close automatically, is there a way to make them auto lock once you start to move?

Hi

I just picked up my CX9 and a noticed that the door locks dont lock when the car starts moving, is this normal?

Here in Mexico is very important to keep your doors locked at all times but they dont close automatically, is there a way to make them auto lock once you start to move?

Hola Andres,
I have a similar situation here in the Philippines ... I've read that this can be programmed by the dealer using a special equipment that talks to the car's computer but since this model is so new , my dealer says it can't be done.
I know other car brands has this function and hopefully , it is just a matter of waiting until my dealers get word from the factory on how to enable it.

Auto lock is a nice feature on VWs Andres Tamez. Also if you lock the car yourself and want to get out by grabbing the door handle you will find that the car will not let you out unless you press the unlock button. I wish it would out lock at 10mph and open when you grab the door handle. Picky picky though I guess.

I actually prefer manually locking the doors. when my wife stops in a dark parking lot, the doors dont automatically UNLOCK. This allows her to unlock the doors when she feels it's safe to do so.

Auto locking doors are not auto unlocking doors. My other vehicle would lock the doors at 10mph and would only unlock when you either hit the unlock button or open the inside door handle. If you lock the doors on the CX-9 and grab the handle it would be nice if the lock popped for you, but once again this is getting picky.

I don't think this is a picky feature. Even my 2001 Ford Taurus will autolock all doors after moving over 10 mph.

Now the nice thing that I like about the Cx-9 is that when you unlock all doors and then forget to lock them, they will get locked again automatically (when the car is parked).

Now the nice thing that I like about the Cx-9 is that when you unlock all doors and then forget to lock them, they will get locked again automatically (when the car is parked).

I believe that this is one of the "preferences" set by the dealer. When I go in for my first oil change, I'm going to have the dealer disable that function. For me, it's a pain in the butt to have to go get my fob every time I want to open the CX-9 when it's inside my closed garage. I frequently toss things in my vehicles for later transport and would rather lock the vehicle when I want to and have it unlocked the rest of the time.

I was referencing our last car which locked the doors upon starting the engine, and then unlocked them when you turned the engine off. I prefer manually doing it now over THAT system for the reasons stated, and its just no effort to press that lock button

Gotcha.

My wife's 06 Honda Civic does this, and it is something you can enable or disable on your own. At a certain speed it auto-locks, and when the car is turned off the driver's door unlocks. I like this feature and wish the 9 had it, but don't get it wrong... I'm still not trading cars with my wife. :D

I talked to the dealer and they said they can program it on the 6 (along the lines of CX-901's comments), but that they weren't sure if this was possible for the 9. He also said it runs $135 to do, which it isn't worth to me. When I asked him why it isn't user-configurable and why it cost so much, he said he thought there were different configuration options based on personal preference - which conditions cause it to lock or unlock, unlock driver vs. unlock all, that sort of thing. so it isn't a simple switch on the 6.

just wanted to share what I learned. I'm not willing to drop $135 for that feature, but maybe someone that is might pursue this further than I did.

you could do tis with relays. I'm not sure about the wiring for these cars, so i don't know if you need resistors or diodes. But I know you can do it with relays. and make it to when ever you put the car in drive it will lock the doors. and then you don't have to have the auto unlock feature

In CX9 (at least for 2008 and before) it is NOT POSSIBLE to program the autolock (by your definition - lock all doors above certain speed). There is a autolock feature that associates with the SmartKey, which automatically locks the doors after you walk away. Please don't confuse the two.

Check coastaletech.com frequently. This guy sells kits that do all sorts of electronics gimmicks. For some reasons, he does more stuff on Toyota/Lexus and American brands.

Well, true but based on your logic many things in life (not just in atomobiles) could be eliminated once for all.
Why power window? Power door lock? Audio Pilot? Power LiftGate?
Speed-sensitive wiper? Rain-Sensing wiper? Power-seat? Power outside mirrors?
Are we really that lazy?
In fact, laziness is the mother of progress.
It is part of how human have become productive over the years.
A lot of jobs depending on how people enjoy being lazy.

Money buys luxury, convenience and safety.
Don't rid rich people of the simple joy.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you are more cautious when it comes to modifying your vehicles. Well, some are not, me included.

According to Moss-Magnu. Act, your warranty only voids if the aftermarket parts directly caused the failure of the original parts (to that effect). I have modified every one of the vehicles I have owned.
On my wife's Prius, I have added
backview camera (thru NAVI wiring interface), ultrasound sensors, signal mirrors, shark-fin antenna, etc. Toyota dealer has never questioned any of my installation. They even asked a bunch of questions about how I did them.
On CX9, my plan is to install a front ultrsound sensor with display since I have the backview camera, and the front visibility isn't exactly superb....

Anyway, you are right in that, if one is not interested in DIY, one shouldn't temper with the vehicles. Any electrical short would likely take big $$$ to fix.

No autolock... we also wanted it.

My wife and I purchased a GT 2009 last march (in part because of the 0% APR for 32 months). The only thing that was missing was the "auto lock" feature. My old 2000 focus ZX3 had that feature. It would have been nice that the cx9 had it.

We also would like to turn on the daylight running lights, we know that in Canada the CX-9 does that, so we are hoping that can be done. Anybody here knows?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me, I traded my Chevy Trailblazer LT for the CX-9 and my wife misses that exact same feature (auto lock and daytime running light). I looked thru the manual to see if they could be enabled, but nothing could be done. I told her “guess you have to take it out of your system” .
But, yes it would have been a plus if it had it.

I plan to have my purchased dealer performs the auto lock setting at the first scheduled maitenance. I will update this then.

If they want to charge you for activating the autolock (w/ SKS keycard), don't let them. It is free at most dealers if you bought your CX9's there.

I traded my 02 ford explorer for the 09 cx9 touring (at time of purchase paid about the same for both), here things I had in the venerable old explorer: auto headlights (on when dark), two memory settings in driver (hate it when my wife moves the seat), auto lock when moving (even if you unlock the door it would lock again by taping the brake), driver control over power windows (if you lock the windows in the cx9 it just cut the power to them, in the explorer the driver still had control on all windows), second row seat could fold either of the 3 positions independently.
I don't understand how a car from 2002 can have so many features over one of 2009 on the same price range.

forgot couple of more features in the explorer: computer warnings for low washer fluid, tire rotation, oil life in %, battery charge, .... never got a static shot with the leather seats (have gotten plenty from the CX9, which makes me wonder if is really leather).

Now I still like the CX9, jut wonder how much less car is buying same money these days.

Back