How To Replace Stock HID Bulb?

furgussen

:
2007 Mazda 3 Sport GT
This might sound stupid, but I like my lights nice 'n blue. My '07 Mazda3 came with factory HID lowbeams. I believe they're around 5000K in color. I have some 8000K HID D2S's but I can't see an easy way to replace them. The Mazda3 manual says I need to take the car to a dealer to replace the HID bulbs but that sounds stupid. How do I just replace the HID bulb?

Not quite sure why you'd need to remove the bumper cover, since you'll be going from the back of the lamp assemblies to remove them. Its just a pop and swap thing, just don't touch the things with your hands.

Also don't go TOO blue, it is the most stressful color on the eyes...a faint blue is nice though.

I'm just curious since im a bit lacking in knowledge on HID's but what would happen if you were to touch the actual bulb it self? I'm guessing you would damage it.

I have seen some of the HID conversion kits that require you to remove the bumper to take out the headlight assembly. Any way around that? I've only got 4000K's on my car and I don't feel like ripping the bumper off :)

i was able to get at my stuff without taking bumper or lense off. Just kinda tight with the fuse box, but it can be done! I have a 5,000k kit and the ballast came loose and yanked one of the wires from the bulb. Tried to use connectors to fix it but I think the dealership will have to soder. :-(

i was able to get at my stuff without taking bumper or lense off. Just kinda tight with the fuse box, but it can be done! I have a 5,000k kit and the ballast came loose and yanked one of the wires from the bulb. Tried to use connectors to fix it but I think the dealership will have to soder. :-(

Then I guess you weren't able to do it without taking off the bumper, were you?

FYI, you shouldn't touch any bulb with your fingers. The grease from your hands can damage the bulb making it burn out quicker and in the worst case scenario, shatter. This is especially important for HID because they run much hotter than your hallogen.

Does anyone have a good link showing how to remove the headlight assemblies? Are the Haynes books any good for late model Mazda 3's?

Back