1st gear sound engaged while clutch pedal depressed.

blacksheepms3

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Hey guys, I need a little help figuring out what's wrong with my ms3. I just noticed it today as in it just started doin it and i right away know it's not normal. I was slowing down from 30mph and i was on neutral, I slowed down to like 5 mph and then I had to go again so I pressed the clutch and shifted to 1st gear and I noticed it right away the car slowed down some more and the engine was making the sound as if it's in gear but not really, it sounds like the clutch is slightly engaged even though the pedal is completely depressed.

What could be wrong?
the car has 20,000 miles, am i still covered by warranty?
my mods are motor mount, ms cai, dp-back exhaust, shcoks and springs.

please guys i need help with this. Thanks in advance.

i have had the same noise since it was new i belive it to be just winding first gear even though its not engaged bc if it was a throw out bearing it would make it just havin the clutch in and mine only makes it when the clutch is in and in first gear..i dont think theres anything wrong just the way the trans is built i could be wrong tho im gonna try double clutchin before goin in to first today to see if it makes the same noise

was it covered by warranty, would it be with the mods i got?

Thats depends on your dealer. We can not answer that question for you. If your dealer wants to be a prick they might void you right then and there. Just go and talk to them before you actually go there for service. You are under warranty as you have 3year/36,000 bumper to bumper.

Found this description online:

Description: The throw-out bearing, or clutch release bearing as it's sometimes called, is located between the clutch fork and the pressure plate fingers. The throw-out bearing only operates when the clutch pedal is depressed; the bearing is not designed for continuous use.

Purpose: When the driver steps on the clutch pedal, the throw-out bearing applies force to the fingers of the spinning pressure plate to release the clutch. When the clutch pedal is released, the bearing sits idle and does not contact the pressure plate fingers.

Maintenance Tips/Suggestions: The classic symptom of a worn throw-out bearing is a whirring or growling sound when applying the clutch pedal, which goes away when releasing the pedal. Premature wear of the throw-out bearing can occur when there is insufficient clutch play, resulting in a throw-out bearing that spins continuously. If the bearing fails, it may seize and quickly wear the fingers of the pressure plate. The throw-out bearing does not require routine maintenance, but should be replaced when clutch replacement becomes necessary. Consult a professional technician to determine whether the throw-out bearing or other parts of the clutch assembly need replacement.

if you're getting this noise with the clutch down and while trying to push the shifter into 1st, then it's your synchros. 1st gear's synchros are VERY picky about what speed we try to shift into first. unless you are stopped or ALMOST stopped, it will give you resistance and a kind of grinding noise because it's smacking your synchros. this means that you should never try to shift into first unless you're fully stopped. the alternative to this is to double clutch, which allows you to do the synchro's work for it. try this: instead of pressing in the clutch and then shifting into first, rev your engine up first...then hit the clutch...then shift into gear. if this gets rid of your problem, then you were mashing you synchros and you should stop doing that! ;)

First off the issue your describing is not your throw out bearing the throwout bearing has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch not fully disengaging. all it does is allow the master cylinder to press the stationary fork on the spinning pressure plate to disengage the clutch. the only symptoms from a bad throw out bearing it alot of noise. what your describing kinda sounds like you might need to have your clutch line bleeded to see if there is air in the system, or the master cylinder is going out. But normally when that happens it will be hard to get into gear so this is very strange, i hope you figure it out. Or maybe your foot accidentally hit your brake pedal when you were trying to ress your clutch in, hahahaaha

I should add that this whirring sound only comes on when I'm slowing down and tries to force into 1st gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed. at the same speed, when i go to the second gear it doesnt make this sound. It worries me cause it doesnt do this before, yeah it'd be hard to shove the shifter to 1st gear when the car is slowing down but once it's in it sounded and felt as if i was on neutral given the clutch pedal was fully depressed. But now i get that whirring sound.

I'll call my dealer and set up an appointment.
Thanks all for al your input. I learn new stuff here everytime.

if you have to shove it in the sny arnt lined up and you shouldnt be goin into that gear mine goes in easy but makes a wining noise as i slow from 8mph to nothin when clutch is in and in first gear....it really doesnt bother me and i dont have the time to bs at the dealer over it
blacksheep you arnt supoto shift in to 1st anything over 8-10 mph i know it says something in the owners manual about it and thats why ya have a noise

Back