computer problem...help?

fLyPiNoY7

Return of the Evil Monkey
:
2003 Sunlight Silver Protege5
so i just upgraded my mom's computer with a newer motherboard, processor, memory, and power supply...problem is, whenever i try to start it up, i get one long repeating beep...ive checked all the connections, reseated the memory, reseated the video card, replaced the keyboard, changed the power cable, and pretty much checked everything out short of changing out the hard drives...and im out of ideas...anyway got an idea what the problem could be?...im not getting any video either...

whenever i try to start it up, i get one long repeating beep

Find a copy of the manual and look for a list of the beep codes. The manual may be on a CD or you may have to look on the manufacturer's web site. The exact pattern of beeps is telling you what the computer thinks is wrong.

Sounds like you've already done most of the obvious things. See if there is a header for resetting the BIOS, and if so, that it is NOT shorted. Occasionally the manufacturers will ship one with a reset jumper in place, and the symptoms can be just about anything, from BIOS settings not sticking to beeps at start up. If the machine has more than one stick of memory, and can run with just one, try them one at a time. A really grievously bad memory stick can cause the symptom you described.

see thats the thing, its not a brand new board...i used to use this board on my htpc, but when my mom's computer died, i opted to swap my htpc stuff out to her computer and just upgrade the htpc itself...whats really weird is that it worked last night when i used the htpc's power supply...i tried it this morning with the new power supply and it didnt work, but when i tried it again with the htpc power supply, it wouldnt work either...

just saw the manual...dram error...memory is pretty damn new too...odd

see thats the thing, its not a brand new board...i used to use this board on my htpc, but when my mom's computer died, i opted to swap my htpc stuff out to her computer and just upgrade the htpc itself...whats really weird is that it worked last night when i used the htpc's power supply...i tried it this morning with the new power supply and it didnt work, but when i tried it again with the htpc power supply, it wouldnt work either...

Please tell me that you aren't mixing and matching parts between a Dell and any other brand. Dell uses nonstandard power supply pin outs on standard power supply connectors. Plug a regular mobo into a Dell supply, or vice versa, and it can kill both parts.

nope...its all parts i picked up from newegg, mwave, and other stores...i got the computer to turn on, beep correctly, and show video...but it stops right after that...i think im starting to know what the problem is now...

yep...kinda sucks though that its only running 512 instead of 1gig like i wanted it to run

Back