Shocks / Struts?

Bemtje

Anyone know websites that sell these for the MS6? I need some shocks.

Also, which are the best?

Thanks.

Anyone know websites that sell these for the MS6? I need some shocks.

Also, which are the best?

Thanks.

Oh man.......... I was just gonna ask this.

I'm putting lowering springs on my car and i would like to get better performance shocks for my car to accommodate the new springs

One friend told me Tokico but I dunno if they'll work on the car?

i used tokicko adjustables on my 02 protege 5 with eibach pro-kits. They worked excellent and i believe have a lifetime warranty. When i would turn the stiffness all the way up the thing was pretty much a go-kart. Handled excellently

i used tokicko adjustables on my 02 protege 5 with eibach pro-kits. They worked excellent and i believe have a lifetime warranty. When i would turn the stiffness all the way up the thing was pretty much a go-kart. Handled excellently

yeah I checked out tokico and several other companies........ UNFORTUNATELY no one has struts at this time for the Mazdaspeed6. Tokico and TEIN are both in development....... I don't know about others, cause I couldn't find any info about development from Bilstein or Koni or the like...... only Tokico and TEIN.

Tokico is working on struts, and TEIN i believe is working on struts as well as a full setup.

Tokico has had quality issues with the the blues lately, IMHO. Not much of a performance gain over the stockers.

I thought Koni had something, but I guess not.

Tokico has had quality issues with the the blues lately, IMHO. Not much of a performance gain over the stockers.

I thought Koni had something, but I guess not.

Maybe for the REGULAR 6...... but for the mazdaspeed6. Nope...... I wish I could use the regular 6 shocks, but the cars all weigh differently. from the 6 i to the 6 s and the speed6. :(

You can use the Koni yellows..... there are resources other than this single forum.

Last edited:
You can use the Koni yellows..... there resources other than this single forum.

according to koni's website and the email I received........ they have nothing and are "under development"

Have other people successfully used Koni Yellows on a Mazdaspeed6......not any other car........just a Mazdaspeed6, and for how long have they had them now?

Have other people successfully used Koni Yellows on a Mazdaspeed6......not any other car........just a Mazdaspeed6, and for how long have they had them now?
(google) hint: you will find many examples.... but probably not on THIS forum apparently....

(google) hint: you will find many examples.... but probably not on THIS forum apparently....

i tried google......as well as mazda6 club........ google doesn't always find what you're looking for unless you type your "search" a certain way....... I tried multiple ones. Still found nothing.

Go to the RPM website. They are a sponsor on here with their own subforum. They carry both Koni and Bilstein replacements. They also have their own springs, IIRC right now they are waiting on the next shipment to come in. I have a set of the pre-production springs and they are great. Just a slight drop (around 1/2") but with a much better set of spring rates. Handling is much improved with them.

Go to the RPM website. They are a sponsor on here with their own subforum. They carry both Koni and Bilstein replacements. They also have their own springs, IIRC right now they are waiting on the next shipment to come in. I have a set of the pre-production springs and they are great. Just a slight drop (around 1/2") but with a much better set of spring rates. Handling is much improved with them.

Sounds great........ I already have the megan's springs that I purchased from another member, I love them, handling definitely feels improved........ I'm just slightly worried about the shocks........ better safe than sorry to be honest

Thanks for the heads up about RPM. I go to their site often. I'm waiting til after the holidays to buy a few things from them........ like the halo xtec dde headlights, etc.

I'm gonna go check now.

[edit]

I was looking at the koni complete set, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that it says to pair the complete set with eibach for a 1.5 inch lower....... but i have the megans which means 2 inches...... so I'm wondering if I can still use these shocks, or if they're crap out on me after a while, for being .5" lower than suggested on the site?

Last edited:
Sounds great........ I already have the megan's springs that I purchased from another member, I love them, handling definitely feels improved........ I'm just slightly worried about the shocks........ better safe than sorry to be honest

Thanks for the heads up about RPM. I go to their site often. I'm waiting til after the holidays to buy a few things from them........ like the halo xtec dde headlights, etc.

I'm gonna go check now.

[edit]

I was looking at the koni complete set, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that it says to pair the complete set with eibach for a 1.5 inch lower....... but i have the megans which means 2 inches...... so I'm wondering if I can still use these shocks, or if they're crap out on me after a while, for being .5" lower than suggested on the site?
I don't believe RPM actually has the springs yet on their site. I think Donny said that they are due in any day from the manufacturer. He has already had several testing samples created and took much end-user feedback - there's a HUGE thread over at 6club about the whole thing....

Honestly, if you are running 2" lower on the OEM shocks, you can only improve by going with the Koni yellows.... not the FSD shocks you were looking at. I personally wouldn't go with them until someone goes for them to give some feedback on the MS6 - if you want to be that tester, go for it! But they are pricey compared to the regular adjustable ones....

Anyways, like I said, there are literally mountains of suspension information over there.

(werd) I had tokikos on both of my previous lowered cars.

I don't believe RPM actually has the springs yet on their site. I think Donny said that they are due in any day from the manufacturer. He has already had several testing samples created and took much end-user feedback - there's a HUGE thread over at 6club about the whole thing....

Honestly, if you are running 2" lower on the OEM shocks, you can only improve by going with the Koni yellows.... not the FSD shocks you were looking at. I personally wouldn't go with them until someone goes for them to give some feedback on the MS6 - if you want to be that tester, go for it! But they are pricey compared to the regular adjustable ones....

Anyways, like I said, there are literally mountains of suspension information over there.

Yeah I kinda don't like to play "guinea pig" lol

I was checking out the yellows, but man 800 bucks isn't something I really want to "experiment" with. I just want to make sure they will handle the 2 inch drop. right now my stock shocks are doing fine and my ride is stiff in a good way, and handling is good. But I get concious and worry as to taking a corner too hard will burst out one of the shocks.

I know the Konis will handle the drop better than factory struts. I'm just worried as to the point of I don't want them to crap out a year later. I want to make sure they can handle the 2 inch drop (drive)

For a two inch drop, I would suggest the Koni yellows so that you can get as much suspension travel as possible. Otherwise you'd be on the bump stops.

I was checking out the yellows, but man 800 bucks isn't something I really want to "experiment" with. I just want to make sure they will handle the 2 inch drop. right now my stock shocks are doing fine and my ride is stiff in a good way, and handling is good. But I get concious and worry as to taking a corner too hard will burst out one of the shocks.

I know the Konis will handle the drop better than factory struts. I'm just worried as to the point of I don't want them to crap out a year later. I want to make sure they can handle the 2 inch drop (drive)
Well, you are looking at the FSD shocks, not the yellows (aka Sport Adjustable shocks)..... so the yellows are 280/front and 260/rear = 540 total. So it isn't quite as bad. I think with the 2" drop, you are just going to KILL the stock shocks.... I'm not sure how long you actually want to keep them on there.

But anyways.... at least you know that there IS an option out there that people have tried. And if you do a little more digging over there, I'm sure there are at least a few people that have the same exact combo! Good luck!

Rainman, I've gone over a few hard dips and have yet to hit the bump stops.... mind you they weren't potholes......but no one should be going over those at all.

Mdogg I thought the set for 800 was for the Koni Yellows, not the FSD? I'll have to go back and check it out. sounds like the yellows might be my best bet.

BTW why did it appear that there were no struts on the rear of the car? when I took the wheels and everything off, I installed the springs on the rear, and that was that. Easiest thing to do. the Front is what gave me trouble because I had to get a spring compressor to get the springs off the front with the struts?

Mdogg I thought the set for 800 was for the Koni Yellows, not the FSD? I'll have to go back and check it out. sounds like the yellows might be my best bet.
Nah, the $800 ones are the new FSD shocks. I don't know anyone that has tried them yet (overall or more specifically on the 6), but I really haven't paid attention b/c I've already done my shock swap (and I have sworn to NEVER do that job again..... pain in my ass....).
BTW why did it appear that there were no struts on the rear of the car? when I took the wheels and everything off, I installed the springs on the rear, and that was that. Easiest thing to do. the Front is what gave me trouble because I had to get a spring compressor to get the springs off the front with the struts?
The rears don't have the shock on the inside of the spring coil. It's separate and the OEM black shock blends in quite well with everything else under there.

The front shocks are easy to do (though you WILL have to modify the stock front shocks to utilize the perch for the spring coil). The rears..... aren't hard, but the bolts to remove everything are just REALLY in some tight areas that are VERY tough to reach.... it would be a good time to start the girlfriend/wifey on the car work! (laugh)

Back