snow tires

uncletime

:
2007 MS3 GT Black Mica
well winter is right around the corner and considering i barely got through the northeast winter last year with the factory tire package i was wondering what snow/all season tires everyone has.. seems like theres not a lot of choices out there for our wheel. and the ones that are out are kinda pricey.

you can just go to www.tirerack.com and just pick from their winter tire packages. if you wanted, you could go with the steelies for 40-50 each, or you could spend some more and get some sport edition 17" cast alloy rims for about $100 each. for tires, you can get blizzaks for just over $100 each...bringing you to a total of about $600-$800...plus shipping. i, personally, dropped about $850 on 17" rims + blizzaks, but depending on what conditions you expect, all season tires may be sufficient. since you're in upstate NY, that might not be the best decision, since i know there are some really nasty hills in some parts of upstate NY and CT...^_^;

you got 4 wheels and 4 tires for 850? hmm 17's fit on and ms3 with no problems... i was just on tirerack and the cheapest tire that fit the 18 was 139+shipping+tax it was like 638. without getting them mounted . i was looking for straight snow tires considering i have will keep the stock tires for summer.

Yes, I too went through last winter on the stock tires and although not as bad as the original msp's in the snow they are still terrible. Instead of getting a dedicated snow tire I purchased four Falken Ziex512's mounted on MB 18x7.5inch wheels. I went with this option because I had the Ziex512 on my msp before and they held up extremely well in the white stuff even though it's not a 'dedicated' snow tire. Plus the all season tire will usually give you better handling on dry roads which I didn't want to be sacrificed much since this is such a fun car to drive around the twisties in. I drove in 5-6inches of snow with these on my previous car and still managed to have good traction. I also didn't want ugly steel wheels on my car which is why I went with alloys.

Discount tire direct got me a good deal too. $760 for the whole package and free shipping. I would've spent close to that on just snow tires alone from tire rack.

I didn't want to go through all the b.s. with mounting and unmounting snow tires on my stock rims every year. Now I have two sets one for fall/winter the other for spring/summer...easy on easy off.

BTW the Ziex512 is M+S rated.

Wheel/tire size is 18x7.5 and 225/40ZR-18

Last edited:
you got 4 wheels and 4 tires for 850? hmm 17's fit on and ms3 with no problems... i was just on tirerack and the cheapest tire that fit the 18 was 139+shipping+tax it was like 638. without getting them mounted . i was looking for straight snow tires considering i have will keep the stock tires for summer.

you can't just go to the regular tires link. look just below the tire link and go to the "winter tire & wheel package" link. that's where you will be given the option of the 17" wheels. the sport edition wheel that i got was 17"x7.5" @50mm offset weighing in at 19.5lb. not bad for $96 each! oO

EDIT: oh, an additional reason for why i chose this package is because i wanted to have a set of 17"x7.5" wheels with a high offset around to try out 235/45/17 tires sometime in the future...=D two birds with one stone is how i figured it...

Last edited:
i just redid the package again...for 4x bridgestone blizzak ws-50 ($105 each) and 4x sport edition F7 rims ($96 each), it worked out to be about $874 after shipping.

EDIT: oh, an additional reason for why i chose this package is because i wanted to have a set of 17"x7.5" wheels with a high offset around to try out 235/45/17 tires sometime in the future...=D two birds with one stone is how i figured it...

Can you post some pics once they're on? I'm looking at the 18" Michelin Ice with Sport Edition 18" KV5 for winter with the TPMS. Only downfall.....~$1300 total with shipping. Ouch!

This is a daily driver, not a track car for me.

So all season will be it. I am sick of having to haul the rims, put new rims on. Bring back old rims. Etc.

I am getting Continental extreme contacts in 225/45/18's for all four corners.

110 a tire.

I have these on my SRT-6, and they are a great tire. Very little performance sacraficed.

Can you post some pics once they're on? I'm looking at the 18" Michelin Ice with Sport Edition 18" KV5 for winter with the TPMS. Only downfall.....~$1300 total with shipping. Ouch!

sure, np. i'm trying to avoid the winter tire performance hit for as long as i can, though, so i can't promise anything for another few weeks...^_^;

This is a daily driver, not a track car for me.

So all season will be it. I am sick of having to haul the rims, put new rims on. Bring back old rims. Etc.

I am getting Continental extreme contacts in 225/45/18's for all four corners.

110 a tire.

I have these on my SRT-6, and they are a great tire. Very little performance sacraficed.

I chose the same tires. Tire rack rates them very highly in the all-season perfomance category and pretty high in snow and ice as well. For me, it was the perfect compromise for a pretty decent price.

IMO, snow tires are too expensive and wear too quickly. Also, they should really only be used in snow. And I live in MN and have never used snow tires in my 12+ years of driving. A lot of it is nowing how to drive in adverse conditions. Cuz even snow tires can only do so much.

so how bout i waited too long to buy the x ices on tire rack and now there on back order...so i just dropped 800 for the Blizzak LM22. they had good reviews and the tire under them didnt.. it does kinda suck but im gonna mount them on the factory wheels and buy wheels for the stock tires when it gets nice and i just wont drop to steelie ha i really need winter tires it snows a lot here...from my past experiences these will prob last 4 or so years so its worth it

i deffinatly suggest going with a different wheel and tire set up, 18" snow tire prices are crazy as well as the hassle and cost of mounting and remounting the tires on the same wheel... bite the bullet and get 17's with snow tires... i run 16s on my reg3 i picked up a cheap set of P5 wheels and mounted my snow tires to that... look around you maybe able to pick up someones reg 3 wheels on the cheap and just add tires to them that way you still have nice looking wheels and you can drive in the white crap!

What about the tire pressure monitoring system? Do you need to (or recommend) installing those if you go with new wheels/tires?

you don't absolutely need to install them, but the TPMS light will come on in your dash if you don't have them in place. this is just an annoyance factor and will require you to be a bit more diligent in checking your tire pressures. i, personally, would only put TMPS into a performance wheel + tire setup that i really liked. for my snow tires + wheels, i don't bother and just deal with the TPMS light going off.

i deffinatly suggest going with a different wheel and tire set up, 18" snow tire prices are crazy as well as the hassle and cost of mounting and remounting the tires on the same wheel... bite the bullet and get 17's with snow tires... i run 16s on my reg3 i picked up a cheap set of P5 wheels and mounted my snow tires to that... look around you maybe able to pick up someones reg 3 wheels on the cheap and just add tires to them that way you still have nice looking wheels and you can drive in the white crap!

look at the price of 17's to 18's snow tires its not much differance i decided to make the stock wheels my winters so it was better to get snows for them then i can buy nice wheels for summer just a diff view

Why would anyone waste $$ on TPMS for snow tires? No thanks.(piss)

cause some people do not want to stare at a light the hole time there on the car, I personally would get sick of it.

Back