ViCS vs VTCS with PICS!

Tom03es

Mile High Zoom-Zoom
Contributor
:
2003 Protege ES
There's frequently a lot of confusion between ViCS and VTCS- which one is which. Well, here's a couple pics of each from the manifold I have waiting for VTCS removal.

ViCS:
ViCS_pics_(1).JPG

ViCS_pics_(2).JPG

ViCS_pics_(3).JPG

VTCS:
VTCS_pics_(4).JPG

VTCS_pics.JPG

VTCS_pics_(5).JPG

VTCS_pics_(6).JPG

VTCS_pics_(8).JPG

VTCS_pics_(9).JPG

VTCS is stuck open by default with the engine off correct?

ViCS default postion is stuck in................? open or closed? Again assumign engine is off.

Last edited:
yeah iam confused too i have heard alot of ppl takeing these out which ones do i leave and which ones i take out please help me

yeah iam confused too i have heard alot of ppl takeing these out which ones do i leave and which ones i take out please help me

Personally I just disconnected the VAC line for the one in the Intake runners so it stays open all the time and the car screams! Then again I have been having issues with my VTCS soleniod(randomly throws stuck open, closed or both... P2006, P060). (looking at the pics above this is open by default or car off)

I put a check valve in it to keep it open or well I thought it was open and the car ran like s***! The car sounded like it was hauling ass but it couldn't get out of it's own way going down hill not to mention wasn't building boost for crap.

Now the one on the plemun I couldn't tell any difference between it open or in the default postion. Again tested this with a check valve.

Last edited:
From what I've gathered, the VTCS is what you remove and P&P, the VICS are what you're suppose to keep or else you loose a lot of low end power.

As far as I know, when the car is off, both systems are closed because when the mani is off the car, both are closed.

From what I've gathered, the VTCS is what you remove and P&P, the VICS are what you're suppose to keep or else you loose a lot of low end power.

As far as I know, when the car is off, both systems are closed because when the mani is off the car, both are closed.

so this guy(the OP) rigged his VICs to stay open??? See below pic

VTCS_pics_(8).JPG

s***. Now I'm not sure. Lemmie see...

Ok, after looking back at my mani pics, I'm wrong, the VTCS stay open and the VICS stay closed.

What is the VICS for really? I mean how does it affect the car? I can't tell any difference between it open or closed. *shrugs*

Also what is that little vac line with the green thing for in the pic I posted?

Not really sure, I just know they're closed unless you're WOT, I guess to limit the air flow under normal driving?

ViCS_pics_(2).JPG

See the two triangle shapes cut in the mani at the bottom of this pic? That vac line goes into the one on the right and creates a vac source for something, I can't remember but when I had it all apart, it was obvious.

so this guy(the OP) rigged his VICs to stay open??? See below pic
Well, you can open and close VTCS using the little lever on the side manually (when it's off the car), so the fact that this guy has it open is not indicative of anything.

Well, you can open and close VTCS using the little lever on the side manually (when it's off the car), so the fact that this guy has it open is not indicative of anything.

The actuators will return to a default position with the intake manifold installed on the car or off. You can open and close both the VICS and VTS with the intake manifold still on the car.

The VICS remain in the open position with the actuator installed. I installed a check valve on the VICS actuator and gave it vacuum to move the rod to the fullest extent and went for a drive. The car had no power when I did that as it was gasping for air. I then removed the check valve which returned the actuator to the default position and the car screamed in comparison.

Now when I did this same method with the VTS, I couldn’t tell any difference between open or closed. So I am curious what the VTS does now.

Last edited:
I think you're mixing the two names bro. lol.

The VTCS I believe are closed when the car is cold to restrict air flow so you can't run the car at peak performance when its still cold, but as it warms up, they open.

The actuators will return to a default position with the intake manifold installed on the car or off. You can open and close both the VICS and VTS with the intake manifold still on the car.

The VICS remain in the open position with the actuator installed. I installed a check valve on the VICS actuator and gave it vacuum to move the rod to the fullest extent and went for a drive. The car had no power when I did that as it was gasping for air. I then removed the check valve which returned the actuator to the default position and the car screamed in comparison.

Now when I did this same method with the VTS, I couldn’t tell any difference between open or closed. So I am curious what the VTS does now.

Oh, that makes sense.

I believe VTCS does something to assist the combustion in some way on a cold start, and that's it. I believe it helps heat the cats (by swirling the air just right) or some nonsense like that. And that is all.

Some bs with car running cold that isn't important. lol. Thats why they get removed and P&P!

Oh, that makes sense.

I believe VTCS does something to assist the combustion in some way on a cold start, and that's it. I believe it helps heat the cats (by swirling the air just right) or some nonsense like that. And that is all.

IYour thinking of the VICS

Some bs with car running cold that isn't important. lol. Thats why they get removed and P&P!

Yup, that's why people have had issues with crap idle when started cold (with VTCS removed). I guess it can be important to some people and not important to others.

so which ones do i need to remove and which ones i need to keep bc now iam more confused than ever lol

ROFL

The VTCS are the ones at the end of the runner, that are there for only cold starts, that get removed and P&P

The VICS are the ones in the middle of the mani, that are there for air balancing, that stay and do not get altered.

Back