Protege5 tuning

Cocologre

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I have a 2003 Protege5 and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do first. If I'm looking to make it a little speed demon, what should I start out with? I've never really done anything like this before, so I could use all the help I can get. Thanks!

1. search
2. turbo is the only way to go if you want to make some serious power.
3. if you want to boost more than 8 psi your looking at also beefing up your engine
4. do it once. do it right.

what kind of a budget are you on

I have a 2003 Protege5 and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do first. If I'm looking to make it a little speed demon, what should I start out with? I've never really done anything like this before, so I could use all the help I can get. Thanks!

Go with a Hiboost turbo kit it will get you the extra power you need. If you want more power plan on getting internals (pistons, rods). Bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors better engine management.

(flame2)

Kidding..10,000 dollars sounds about right...And its all about the Vivid Yellow...Dont listen to the silver guys

Heh,heh. Sorry I think it's funny reading P5 with speed demon as the adjective.
Do a lot of searching if you do go turbo (best option IMO) and check out all the blown engines and other parts.
Good luck though, honestly they are fun cars either way.

Don't be taken in by them. These guys are just blowing smoke. They're too afraid to say anything but they know laser blue is the main way to go.

I'd say go turbo too. Theres a decent amount of mods on my car and its still not that fast. Turbo could maybe get you what your after. Honestly though, these engines stock just can't produce much horsepower unless built up. They're a money hole. 10,000 isn't bad though : p. I'm going the n/a route and it aint easy.

I don't know how you could spend 10k on a car that is worth less. Should have just taken your 20k and gotten something with more HP.

Sorry for the noob question, but, will synthetic oils make it faster??

hehe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil#Advantages
^^ theres also disadvantages haha

some claim that u'll get more HP(like barely nothing lol) like royal purple or quaker state. lol i saw the STi commercial for quaker state saying "release all your horses." they also claim a slightly higher MPG. but i think its better for high mileage cars being that our cars are almost 5 yrs old (haha mine turned 5 in aug. a bit pass 50k mi haha). sludge is a bad thing for cars xP

Well, yeah, it figures that not two days after I first start posting I hit a deer while coming around a blind curve. I've already ordered replacement parts (including a carbon fiber hood upgrade as opposed to another stock), so I should have pics of all that up once I get them on. In the meantime, here's the damage I'm dealing with:

Back