e brake light stays on

SNOOP3223

:
MAZDASPEED PROTEGE
my e brake light stays on it used to do it when it was cold and then go out but now it stays on all the time. checked the e brake spring and plunger ,tightend the screw and lubed the spring , checked to see if my turbo timer was feeding back into the switch and it was not so now im scratching my head and asking for help before i take it to the dealership

Your brake fluid may be low. A lot of cars illuminate that same light if the fluid is low. BTW, if it is low, you'll want to do some looking around to see if you can figure out why. You may have a leak.

Check you pads especially the rear ones....the brake fluid tends to go down if the pads wear down,to compensate the pressure difference in the lines to the pads causing the Brake light to come on.

I had this same problem, just got it fixed yesterday. I thought my rear pads were shot, but I took it to my mechanic and he said the fluid was just low. Put some fluid in and bam, light is off.

Iggy, becareful, there is 2 issues with what the mechanic did.....unless you bled the brakes or clutch line b4 and never topped off your brake fluid.......

Brake fluid just doesnt evaporate or anything. So you may either have a small leak somewhere or whoever did the brakes on your car never filled up the fluid as they bled the brakes........

Technically its damn near against the law for a mechanic to just top off your brake fluid without explaining why or changing the brakes.(no) Its a big problem waiting to happen. I don't want to alarm you or anything cause maybe its jsut the need to top off the brake fluid from the last time the brakes were changed and bled.

Thanks I Will Check..... This Might Explain Why When The Light Did Go Out It Would Come On Under Hard Acceleration Or Hard Brakeing I Will Look At Both The Pads And Brake Fluid

Iggy, becareful, there is 2 issues with what the mechanic did.....unless you bled the brakes or clutch line b4 and never topped off your brake fluid.......

Brake fluid just doesnt evaporate or anything. So you may either have a small leak somewhere or whoever did the brakes on your car never filled up the fluid as they bled the brakes........

Technically its damn near against the law for a mechanic to just top off your brake fluid without explaining why or changing the brakes.(no) Its a big problem waiting to happen. I don't want to alarm you or anything cause maybe its jsut the need to top off the brake fluid from the last time the brakes were changed and bled.

True but also untrue.

The 3rd possible reason to top off fluid is that the brakes are wearing, and thus there is more fluid in the wheel cylinders to compensate, as well as the calipers. It is a SMALL amount though. 25FConv said it perfectly.

sorry its been kinda hectic around the shop , i havent had the time to get back on the site. at any rate fluid was low, topped off no more light will have to bleed when i replace my rear pads and rotors

::Helpful Hint::

When changing the rear pads. Instead of going crazy tryin to use a c-clamp to push the piston back in. If you look at the back of the caliper there is a 14mm bolt directly where the back of the piston would be. Remove that bolt and you will see a TORX fitting. There size is T-25. Use the TORX T-25 either socket or screwdriver to retract it back to fit the pads in. After installing the pads and putting the caliper back on the rotor, turn the TORX fitting clockwise until it gets seats fully against the brake pad. Finally, retract the TORX fitting about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn. And you should be all set to go.

Good luck and keep the forum posted on your progress.(drinks)

Don't forget to bleed your brakes.

Back