I think it's my alternator?

UltimaGT

Contributor
:
'03 spicy orange MSP
Went out to the car this morning and the damn thing was dead. Later in the afternoon when I was free I jumped it let it run for a while (20-25 min). Hit the head lights, as it was getting dark outside, damn thing died. Jumped it again, this time I let it run for 40+ minutes, didn't hit the lights, just turned her off, waited a minuted tried to fire her back up, and it was as if I the battery never had a charge. Of course it could be the battery, but I had it checked no more then a month ago and it was holding a charge fine. Tomorrow I'll jump her once more and run to auto zone to get the alternator and battery checked. I was just hoping to getting some further insight into the matter. Thanks

im a tech at saturn... sounds to me like its the battery because once u jump it the alternator keeps enough power to keep it running but the battery wont hold the charge... thats y when u shut it off it wont start back up

See if you can buy a volt meter, just a genric one will do fine. A lot of tool stores have them for around $3 maybe a little more, it's always nice to have in your tool box. If it's ok it'll read around 13.5v, it should be around 14 but I have never had this car read more than mid 13 for some odd reason.

See if you can buy a volt meter, just a genric one will do fine. A lot of tool stores have them for around $3 maybe a little more, it's always nice to have in your tool box. If it's ok it'll read around 13.5v, it should be around 14 but I have never had this car read more than mid 13 for some odd reason.

Not to thread jack you UltimaGT, But when ever my car will sit below 14volts my battery light pops on. It usually sits around 14.5. I've got a new battery and a reman. alternator. It sounds like your alternator is charging or else the car would eventually die as you were driving. My guess would be the battery.

Back