Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

Sorry, the idea was not to question your ethics, but to express my surprise.

That is a nice interior. It's in great shape, too!

No problem...I was surprised as well when I first checked out the car before buying it...but after checking out the Mazdaspeed parts and doing a little background research...The badge started to grow on me...My feeling might change in the future but for now...I feel like the badge is a natural part of this specific Cosmo. :)

Thanks...Will do...:D

What brand and type would you recommend?

I've got to double check what the documentation says...

stay away from synthetics w/the rotary... since they don't burn well, in the rotary they flash into ash that can coat the housings and eventually require a rebuild at best.

While there are a few synthetics that have been designed to work well w/the rotary (like royal purple and amsoil), Castrol GTX is some pretty good mineral based stuff in my opinion.

/\ Agree, Castrol GTX is going to be the best. Just find out what kind you should be running for your climate (10w-30, etc)

You can but not legally drive it on the roads...;)

Thanks...More vids on the way! :D

So there is no way to legalize a Cosmo? I remeber back when I was drooling over the Nissan Skyline, there was a US importer that legalized for US?

Motorex.net is whom you are speaking of. The conversion cost a lot of money on top of the price of the car. They had to have special permission from the Govt to be able to import these and convert them to US standards...
So there is no way to legalize a Cosmo? I remeber back when I was drooling over the Nissan Skyline, there was a US importer that legalized for US?

Yup...Motorex WAS the company...Here is the rest of the story from wikipedia...

A California company, Motorex, sacrificed a small number of R33 GTS25s for the purpose of crash testing. They submitted their information to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and petitioned them to allow 1990-1999 GT-Rs and GTSs to be imported, at the condition that they were modified to meet federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Many Skylines were subsequently imported through Motorex. This lasted until late 2005, when the NHTSA became informed that not all 1990 through 1999 Skyline models would perform identically in crash testing. Motorex had submitted information for only the R33, and told the NHTSA that it was sufficient for all R32, R33, and R34 models. According the further review by the NHTSA, only 1996-1998 R33 models have been demonstrated as capable of being modified to meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards. After that, only these 1996-1998 models are eligible for importation. In March 2006, Motorex ceased all imports and Motorex principal Hiroaki "Hiro" Nanahoshi was arrested and held on $1 million bail on financial, kidnapping, and assault charges.

I think it would be a royal pain to legally import & drive one in the states. That said...I heard of one guy who got one registered somehow in his state but this was years ago...I'm sure there are at least a couple Cosmos in the States...but to import one now seems like it would be impossible...

Their is a company on the east coast that imports cars as well, Motorex was west coast and they did shady s*** and that is why their is a s*** load of skylines here in WA, R32's, R33's and R34's. AllI want is a silvia but I am thinking of taking orders to japan to buy a silvia and have the Navy transport it here for me!!

Rob

BTW nice ass car Antoine!!

Love the interior as much as my own. How far forward does the front passenger seat slide on those rails?

Love the interior as much as my own. How far forward does the front passenger seat slide on those rails?

Thanks...I'm a big fan on the 8 interior...especially after those sweet shots you took...love the one used for the MOTM. ;)

Just checked it out...It goes pretty far forward actually to the point where the tranny/driveshaft tunnel widens into the firewall.

wow lucky guy...
everytime i go back in the summer i rarely ever get to see these... all rx7s, skylines, silvias, and a s*** load of those k-cars

Got some more pics! :D

I just discovered an old school turbo timer under the dash...At first glance I thought it was an ETC box (for zoomin through toll gates without having to stop and pay)...Under closer inspection, I realized it's a really basic turbo timer...It just has "power', "sec" and "min" buttons...Tested it out and it works like a gem! (thumb)
IMG_0893%20(Medium).JPG

Here are a few detail shots of the engine bay/front end...

Cooling the beast..As you can see below the radiator is mounted behind the FMIC...The FMIC has a factory air deflector setup to help "scoop" precious air into the IC and keep the triple rotary happy!
IMG_0880%20(Medium).JPG

Lighting the fire is the ignition system & plug wire setup...Despite the 20B's relatively small size...There isn't much room to access the spark plugs. I'm looking to upgrade the wires with a set of Autoexe ones to make sure Pay2Play gets a clean powerful spark. :)
IMG_0878%20(Medium).JPG

I love this little detail...The strut towers have these caps with the Eunos logo on them...Nice touch Mazda! :D
IMG_0868%20(Medium).JPG

Sorry for the blurry shot...Although I was in heaven snooping around the Cosmo engine bay...My digicam was not...I couldn't get a direct shot of the "20B" without the digicam being difficult...In any case, there it is...in the depths...Zoom Zoom! (laugh)
IMG_0862%20(Medium).JPG

Some inspiration for you, if you like - some of my favorite 20B's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyuu20WQh70

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcMlJmz2Zs

^^ that beast there USED to be a 20B triple turbo... those vids they went back to a big single and managed to push out some pretty awesome numbers. (edit: 1399hp on the engine dyno i've just found out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4koQu4Xqa8
^^ thats what the triple turbo configuration looked like... won a car show on that engine bay if memory serves....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPxPwgCPGo
^^ that's one of my favorites.. really great guy owns it. Not the fastest down under (that belongs to PAC performance, google if you like, they get no respect from me! haha) but i think at one stage he had the outright power record... Unfortunatly the cost of keeping the 20B going got to the workshop, and they've backed it down a class reverting to their old black and red paint job, and their old 13B...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Q9FhURrRs
^^ this last one, the only thing better than a triple rotor, is a quad rotor :) with twin turbos, and power that would make the 787B blush.... unfortunatly their chassis SUCKS...and they can only drop 7's in this thing (they've also just put a bling bling paint job on it, and won king of auto salon with the detailing....)

Last edited:
Nice vids! If only the sound quality was a bit better as I'm sure it's sweet music. Very cool find on the turbo timer.

Thanks for the vid links Lord...but no thanks for influencing me to a future endless search for MORE POWER! Haha...Of course, I will seek more power but I've decided to try and maintain the original spirit/character of the Cosmo despite any upgrade! :D

Nice vids! If only the sound quality was a bit better as I'm sure it's sweet music. Very cool find on the turbo timer.

Thanks...Even though I live in Japan..I'm using a pretty low-tech solution to record my vids...I'm just using my digital "photo" camera...I don't have a vid camera YET...Maybe that is something I should invest in as I enjoy making vids and posting them on the Forums. (thumb)

Yeah, if you guys could only hear it in person...Sounds simply awesome and I smile everytime I start it up! :D

As for the turbo timer find...that means I've got more dough to spend on future mods...(laugh)

Cooling the beast..As you can see below the radiator is mounted behind the FMIC...The FMIC has a factory air deflector setup to help "scoop" precious air into the IC and keep the triple rotary happy!

Poor radiator gets no love :( lol

Thanks for the vid links Lord...but no thanks for influencing me to a future endless search for MORE POWER! Haha...Of course, I will seek more power but I've decided to try and maintain the original spirit/character of the Cosmo despite any upgrade! :D

hahaha - as i've said before, i'll tip my hat if you ever decide to peripheral port that monster - PP's are almost undrivable!

But a nice big bridge port, bigger turbo, and a microtech to keep the whole thing together, i can't see why 400hp wouldn't be out of the question for you, without "ruining" the car.

I was merely showing you what a 20B can do....

if you're ever in australia, gimme a yell, and i'll take you out to see these bad boys in person.... youtube doesn't do them justice...the sheer volume makes it feel like your ribs are going to break, and the high pitched noise is enough to enduce the onset of concussion ;)

rotary power ftw :p

Back