MS6 Transfer case leaking

InlineTwin

:
Mazdaspeed6
I noticed at about 26K miles the seal around the transfer case was damp and some oil puddled on the plastic lower pan. At 31K miles the transfer case is seriously leaking. I am taking it to the dealer Monday, but I am interested if anyone else has experienced this?

A few Cx-7 owners have had transfer case leaks before say 15k. I assume its the same transfer case used, but I could be wrong.

I know the CX-7 has the issue, but I had not heard of a MS6 with the problem.

I have a CX-7 as well and it has not started to leak...

It is a known issue....The Dealership will replace the seal.
I read that some folks had their seal replaced and still had leaks. Others have stated that their TC was completely replaced under warranty due to "poor casting issues". I hope mine holds up.

there is a defect in the casting of the transfer cases themselves according to my mazda rep.

So we should all go poke a hole in the transfer case to get it replaced under warranty with a better one before it becomes a problem/out of warranty? :)

interesting..(iagree).. i think its a good idea. especially if there are other known case's out there.. maybe not poke a hole but we could help it along alittle to make it start leaking

how well known is this issue? My buddy told me while my car was in he noticed some oil and stuff.......... does the Transfer Case cast affect certain VIN's? Wondering......

i think it does affect certain vin's im guessing the first produced speed 6's.. but im not sure.. someone correct me if im wrong..

I had my seal replaced last week I have 51000 miles on her it's a 2006 100,000 mile warrenty
Keep an eye on it. I had the seals replaced only to have a leak a couple weeks later.

i think it does affect certain vin's im guessing the first produced speed 6's.. but im not sure.. someone correct me if im wrong..

OK your wrong. Mine was a late 2006 build date

Okay. 3500 miles further down the road and it is leaking again. I am taking it in to the dealer monday, we will see if this time they decide to replace the entire transfer case or just do the seals again.

I read that some folks had their seal replaced and still had leaks. Others have stated that their TC was completely replaced under warranty due to "poor casting issues". I hope mine holds up.
My luck ran out. I pointed out a leak on the underbody plastic cover to my dealer during a recent oil change. Diagnosis is a leak at the axel housing on the right front axel. Dealer has ordered a new axel housing as well as a new right front axel.

I had my seal replaced last week I have 51000 miles on her it's a 2006 100,000 mile warrenty

Just an update got my car back smelled something burining thru the vents looked under my car and noticed oil around where they replaced the seal took it back they told me that the flange was bad couple of days went by.Got the car back and still smelled something burning so I am pissed took it back for the third time 3 weeks went by they had the car the told me they had to replace the front diff and transfer case so I get the car back yesterday 10/25 drove her easy and still smell something burning the same smell when the seal was leaking but not as strong what should I do need some advise.

Give it a few days, and watch closely for oil leaking. Slip a flattened cardboard box under the car to catch any oil, so you can see it better. Even if it's fixed, the smell will probably hang in there a while, but if it continues after just a few days (or if it leaks at all) take it back in. They'll get nervous soon if there's a lemon law in your state, so you should find out if there is one and how many shots they get at the same problem before it's a lemon. At this point you can easily start pressuring, but if they've been helpful, you might wanna go easy. If they're up against a tough problem they might be doing the best they can at this point.

Back