How-To: Fix Rock Chips

Sorry for just getting to this one. I've been rather busy.

As far as I know there isn't any specific paint to touch up that trim. But you should be able to get a color to match closely. Because of the nature of the trim there really isn't much you can do other than that. Might look into replacing it.

Hello,
I have a car but I couldn't fix the rock chip. But your post for help for me. now i am self fix this problem. really well nice information...thanks...

Thanks for the info!!

Quick question, I read on here one shouldn't try the wetsand method as the Mazda clearcoat is very very thin. Did you have any issues while wetsanding and goign through the clear coat? I have a Divot that looks exactly like yours, right by the emblem too!

Depends which Mazda you are talkiing about and where it was manufactured. In general, I only recommend you wetsand if you have had experience.

Depends which Mazda you are talkiing about and where it was manufactured. In general, I only recommend you wetsand if you have had experience.

2008 Mazda 5.

Some small paint chips on the bumper, and one big one on the hood :( didn't look like the one on th ehood went through to the metal though.

I'm goign to try langka first, and see if that will work before wetsanding.

Hey, I wanna try to tackle this, I have a 2009 MS3 most of the chips have the primer still there but idiot me made 2 bad nicks that is down to the metal. I have no exp on wet sanding. Could a novice person make these fixes? From your post it seems very simple, I consider myself a quick learner. Also I feel if I tape off the area like you but make it bigger I could focus most of the sanding on the affected area and does it matter that the fixes wont have clear coat on them? would that affect it down the road?

P.S. - Random question but I don't understand why they use white/gray ect primers. Like why cant they have red/blue ect primers that match the color of the car? So when you get chips you dont see a stupid white spot but your same color as your car? Just always bugged me.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned above, I only recommend wet sanding if you have done it before. If you can, practice first on something else.

Companies do make colored primer. However in terms of mass production it's far more costly and can sometimes effect the color of the paint.

How long should you wait after it is all painted before you polish and wax it? Also is it a prob if I do it by hand since I don't have a machine?

Wow, totally missed the last post. Well anyway...in general it's good to wait 24 hours depending on climate conditions.

has anyone tried this site for touchup paint? I have a few rock chips but don't mind spending a few extra bucks for the best product but can't find any reviews. Thoughts?

Good job. Another good way to retouch those paint chip is by using a lanka paint retouch system. It can be bought from autogeek.

Back