timing belt or chain?

I hope they use chain, so I don't have to change it. My car hits 97500km now, gotta change the belt soon or should I wait til next summer? I do only 10k KM every year.

MP3 has a belt. Just had my changed a month ago at almost 100k. From what I read the MP3 and as FS-DE engines are non-interference, so that means if the belt breaks the cylinders wont hit the valve, technically no damage should be done. From what I remember its recommended to to change the belt at 100k.

I hope they use chain, so I don't have to change it. My car hits 97500km now, gotta change the belt soon or should I wait til next summer? I do only 10k KM every year.

the dealer recommends 96000km,but i d say you are good until 120000km+/-...

with the temperature here in montreal,many other factors,i d say,change it the sooner,the best its going to be,and DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE WATER PUMP FOR ANY LEAKS,AND THE CRANK SHAFT SEAL TOO.....

Speaking of timing belt, I have 109,000KM and recently i've been hearing sort of a whistling noise when I start the car. Would that be the timing belt??

What kind of symptons should I start hearing if the timing belt is going?

well it sounds to me like more of an air issue like maf or intake if its a whistling sound but you should get the belt changed anyway just to be safe.

well it can be an air problem,coming from the air intake system,maf,piping,throttle body,many things,and it could be also coming from the timing belt tensionner,get it to the garage the sooner you can....

my car has recently hit 75k miles and it also makes the airy whistly whiny noise. It has only done so since 65~70k. I think it may be the serpentine belts. Does anyone know for sure that if the timing belt breaks valves won't get messed up? I went to a mechanic and he told me it would damage my engine if it broke (can't really rely on that since me getting it done is his income). Also is this a fix that i can do with basic mechanical knowledge and a shop manual? Sorry for thread jack

Does anyone know for sure that if the timing belt breaks valves won't get messed up? I went to a mechanic and he told me it would damage my engine if it broke (can't really rely on that since me getting it done is his income).

From what I read the MP3 and as FS-DE engines are non-interference, so that means if the belt breaks the cylinders wont hit the valve, technically no damage should be done. From what I remember its recommended to to change the belt at 100k.

+1 on above comment...it won't break your engine. It's not THAT hard to change belts, but you would do well to have someone there with you who has done that before in case of problems. It does take a while, but you'll feel good about yourself when you finish :)

cool thanks for the help all. Im really good at fixing stuff if I have the manual and i just found the shop book so i think soon i will go for it. Thanks again

Back