Belt squeal on warmup

Gasological

:
'03 MSP #493
I've got an issue over the last couple days with the belts squealing when I start the car up, and for a few minutes thereafter. Seems to go away after the car warms up some. Should I tighten them or, since I've got about 87k miles on the car, just change the belts to be safe? How hard is that to do on your own with just a few wrenches?

Its very easy to change the belts. If you have never changed your belts once while rolling up 87K, I'd say change them both soon. You want some deflection in them rather than adjusting it so tight that you cannot even budge them by pushing down on them with your finger.

http://protege5.ugly.net/

Go to Mechanical FS section for more detail if you need it.
12mm & 14mm combination wrenches are all that you need to loosen the lock down and adjusting bolts.

Bought it used at about 83k, and I don't know if they've been changed before. Since they're a 90k wear item, I'd assume not.

What's the schedule on the drive belt?

Look on the grooved side of the belts and see if there are cracks. I'm pretty sure it's a 60k mile replacement.

To check if they are to tight or too loose grap the belt towards the front of the car with 2 fingers and twist it. You should be able to twist it 90 degrees

Back