Need a locking lug nut key

babz437

:
Mazda Speed6
I took my MS6 into the shop to get some new tires put on. i got there and the locking lug nut key was not in the car. never came with it when i bought it. tried to break off the lug nuts and then just order some new ones, but even that didnt work. could someone please tell me what to do

You should be able to order one through the dealer. It shouldnt be any more than 50 bucks, cause thats how much it is for the whole wheel lock kit.

Locking lug nuts are a pain in the ass to get off without the key. On my dads last lincoln we literally spent an hour or two sawing at the locking lug nut to get his flat tire off because we didn't have a key for it.

Contact the dealer. They shold have on record what key # you need. Just to be on the safe side, did you check the trunk and glove box for the key? Maybe it is bouncing around in one of the cavities on the sides or its in with the other tools.

Contact the dealer. They shold have on record what key # you need. Just to be on the safe side, did you check the trunk and glove box for the key? Maybe it is bouncing around in one of the cavities on the sides or its in with the other tools.

yeah i checked all those places. however, when i bought the car it did not come with an owners manual for whatever reason, and that is the only way that i would be able to get the number for the one i need. so i will have to get them broken off and then i will have to buy new ones and hopefully get a new key when i get them. thank you for the advice though.

yeah i checked all those places. however, when i bought the car it did not come with an owners manual for whatever reason, and that is the only way that i would be able to get the number for the one i need. so i will have to get them broken off and then i will have to buy new ones and hopefully get a new key when i get them. thank you for the advice though.

did you buy the car new? if so, i would complain to your dealer...

I took my MS6 into the shop to get some new tires put on. i got there and the locking lug nut key was not in the car. never came with it when i bought it. tried to break off the lug nuts and then just order some new ones, but even that didnt work. could someone please tell me what to do

it's simple really
get out a set of 1/2 drive sockets that you don't care much about
find the one that just barely "doesn't fit" over the round lock nut
bang the socket on to the lock nut about 1/2-3/4 of an inch
loosen as you would but be smooth and not jerky while loosening and don't use an impact to do it.
This works as I have had to do it on another car because it came with the wrong key for the factory lock lug nuts
I didn't think of this, the criminals that work for me that apparently steal stuff set me up with the advice
hope this helps

oh, and when you get one of them off you are stuck with a socket smashed on to your locking lug nut.
At that point you need to put the locking lug in a vice and work the socket back off the locking lug.
Obviously you will need to buy new locking lugs and whatever size socket you used during this sad but had to do it method

Last edited:
go and get a chisel

get a chisel from home depot or any hard ware store one that you can fit in the hole and get a hammer and slowly hit and you will have it out in no time

Well, neither of those two reponses work cause now you will be missing a lug nut, so he would have to go buy a new set anyway.

And let us not forget, should he have a flat tire 50 miles from home, how often do you have a spare hammer, chisel or socket in the car?

Spend the 50 bucks (MAX price) get a lug nut key, and have a few spare lug nuts. it wil save your butt when you are on the road

Well, neither of those two reponses work cause now you will be missing a lug nut, so he would have to go buy a new set anyway.

And let us not forget, should he have a flat tire 50 miles from home, how often do you have a spare hammer, chisel or socket in the car?

Spend the 50 bucks (MAX price) get a lug nut key, and have a few spare lug nuts. it wil save your butt when you are on the road

well, I have a full set of stock lugs with the locking set from my speed6 that has less than 4000 miles of use that I would sell for less than what that key will cost.
The socket idea is a once and done "get that shitz off there" method knowing you will have to replace the locking lugs or replace the locking with regular lugs. Why try and save you stock wheels? I wish someone would steal my s***-ass stock speed6 funkadelik wheels(hippy)

it's simple really
get out a set of 1/2 drive sockets that you don't care much about
find the one that just barely "doesn't fit" over the round lock nut
bang the socket on to the lock nut about 1/2-3/4 of an inch
loosen as you would but be smooth and not jerky while loosening and don't use an impact to do it.
This works as I have had to do it on another car because it came with the wrong key for the factory lock lug nuts
I didn't think of this, the criminals that work for me that apparently steal stuff set me up with the advice
hope this helps

oh, and when you get one of them off you are stuck with a socket smashed on to your locking lug nut.
At that point you need to put the locking lug in a vice and work the socket back off the locking lug.
Obviously you will need to buy new locking lugs and whatever size socket you used during this sad but had to do it method

Do this, it absolutely works...have done it myself in the past and saw a tire guy do this to change a flat that was torn to shreds to the point that their was only the bead left on the rim (I was towing the truck from PA to NC and had no idea the tire went flat and we were towing it with a HEMI pickup and really felt no drag at all, my girlfriend didn't think it was as funny as I did since her sister was having her first baby back in NC and we were stuck sleeping in the truck overnight at a bus stop in Baltimore, MD in 90 degree heat overnight...waiting for a tire joint to open)
and I saw him do the same trick to get the lock off, the key was not in the truck.

Last edited:
Back