Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Need a locking lug nut key

  1. #1
    Registered Member babz437's Avatar

    Mazda Speed6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Posts
    76

    Need a locking lug nut key

    I took my MS6 into the shop to get some new tires put on. i got there and the locking lug nut key was not in the car. never came with it when i bought it. tried to break off the lug nuts and then just order some new ones, but even that didnt work. could someone please tell me what to do
    '06 mazdaspeed6
    velocity red mica

    ~MODS~
    Performance-
    Magnaflow Exhaust, AEM CAI, TWM SS Stage 2 w/bushings, CPE 3" catted dp, SU rear motor mount, TurboXS Hybrid BOV
    Exterior
    Shark Fin Antenna, Borbet Type XL 18x8 ET50, 35% tint, blacked out flying Ms and Mazdaspeed6 emblems
    Interior
    Kenwood Head Unit, Kenwood subwoofer, Kenwood Amp, MSD Dashhawk, Prosport 60mm boost guage
    To be Installed
    ETS TMIC and Boost Tubes (Red), H&R springs when they finally arrive.

  2. #2
    Registered Member Igve2shtz's Avatar

    2006 Speed6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    552
    You should be able to order one through the dealer. It shouldnt be any more than 50 bucks, cause thats how much it is for the whole wheel lock kit.
    2006 MS6 Velocity Red Mica

    [installed] Cobb AccessPort OTS Stg 1 - Cobb TIP - CP-E Nano - ETS 3.25" TMIC - Forge BPV - CP-E Motor Mount - Denso ITV22 - Corksport 3" Resonated Test Pipe - Corksport CBE - Mazda Turbo TSB - BC Coilovers - Prosport Premium Boost Gauge - Vent Pod - Dashhawk - Audiolink iPod Adapter - Superbrightleds Parking Lights - Lumenitics Ultra White Fog Lights - Stock Wheels - 215/45/18 Pirelli P-Zero All Seasons - EBC RedStuff Brake Pads
    [Bonus parts] CP-E FMIC - HKS BOV - Protege Garage TIP - Work Emotion CR-KAI 18x7.5 Gunmetal

  3. #3
    3rd Coast Talbot's Avatar

    2007 Carbon Gray Pearl Acura TSX/Navi

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    514
    Locking lug nuts are a pain in the ass to get off without the key. On my dads last lincoln we literally spent an hour or two sawing at the locking lug nut to get his flat tire off because we didn't have a key for it.

  4. #4
    goes to eleven chuyler1's Avatar
    Car Audio & Southern New England Moderator

    2013 CX9

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Posts
    12,285
    Contact the dealer. They shold have on record what key # you need. Just to be on the safe side, did you check the trunk and glove box for the key? Maybe it is bouncing around in one of the cavities on the sides or its in with the other tools.

  5. #5
    Registered Member babz437's Avatar

    Mazda Speed6

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    Contact the dealer. They shold have on record what key # you need. Just to be on the safe side, did you check the trunk and glove box for the key? Maybe it is bouncing around in one of the cavities on the sides or its in with the other tools.
    yeah i checked all those places. however, when i bought the car it did not come with an owners manual for whatever reason, and that is the only way that i would be able to get the number for the one i need. so i will have to get them broken off and then i will have to buy new ones and hopefully get a new key when i get them. thank you for the advice though.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  6. #6
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    6
    Go to the dealer, they will have a master set and can take them off for you.

  7. #7
    meh wannabe's Avatar
    MAZDASPEED6 & CX Moderator

    06 Mazdaspeed6, 08 CX-7. old: 01 Protege ES/Mp3wannabe

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Painesville Twp, Ohio
    Posts
    4,443
    Quote Originally Posted by babz437 View Post
    yeah i checked all those places. however, when i bought the car it did not come with an owners manual for whatever reason, and that is the only way that i would be able to get the number for the one i need. so i will have to get them broken off and then i will have to buy new ones and hopefully get a new key when i get them. thank you for the advice though.
    did you buy the car new? if so, i would complain to your dealer...
    2006 Black Cherry MazdaSpeed6 GT & 2008 Icy Blue CX-7 Touring AWD

    My Speed6 #03845 is registered- How 'bout yours? - ms6db.com


  8. #8
    Registered Member whooosh's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    2006 Black Mica MS6 Sport

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blandon, PA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by babz437 View Post
    I took my MS6 into the shop to get some new tires put on. i got there and the locking lug nut key was not in the car. never came with it when i bought it. tried to break off the lug nuts and then just order some new ones, but even that didnt work. could someone please tell me what to do
    it's simple really
    get out a set of 1/2 drive sockets that you don't care much about
    find the one that just barely "doesn't fit" over the round lock nut
    bang the socket on to the lock nut about 1/2-3/4 of an inch
    loosen as you would but be smooth and not jerky while loosening and don't use an impact to do it.
    This works as I have had to do it on another car because it came with the wrong key for the factory lock lug nuts
    I didn't think of this, the criminals that work for me that apparently steal stuff set me up with the advice
    hope this helps

    oh, and when you get one of them off you are stuck with a socket smashed on to your locking lug nut.
    At that point you need to put the locking lug in a vice and work the socket back off the locking lug.
    Obviously you will need to buy new locking lugs and whatever size socket you used during this sad but had to do it method
    Last edited by whooosh; 08-23-2007 at 07:49 AM.

  9. #9
    Registered Member menaspeed's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    68

    go and get a chisel

    get a chisel from home depot or any hard ware store one that you can fit in the hole and get a hammer and slowly hit and you will have it out in no time

  10. #10
    Registered Member Igve2shtz's Avatar

    2006 Speed6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ocean County, NJ
    Posts
    552
    Well, neither of those two reponses work cause now you will be missing a lug nut, so he would have to go buy a new set anyway.

    And let us not forget, should he have a flat tire 50 miles from home, how often do you have a spare hammer, chisel or socket in the car?

    Spend the 50 bucks (MAX price) get a lug nut key, and have a few spare lug nuts. it wil save your butt when you are on the road
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #11
    Registered Member whooosh's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    2006 Black Mica MS6 Sport

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blandon, PA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Igve2shtz View Post
    Well, neither of those two reponses work cause now you will be missing a lug nut, so he would have to go buy a new set anyway.

    And let us not forget, should he have a flat tire 50 miles from home, how often do you have a spare hammer, chisel or socket in the car?

    Spend the 50 bucks (MAX price) get a lug nut key, and have a few spare lug nuts. it wil save your butt when you are on the road
    well, I have a full set of stock lugs with the locking set from my speed6 that has less than 4000 miles of use that I would sell for less than what that key will cost.
    The socket idea is a once and done "get that shitz off there" method knowing you will have to replace the locking lugs or replace the locking with regular lugs. Why try and save you stock wheels? I wish someone would steal my shit-ass stock speed6 funkadelik wheels

  12. #12
    Registered Member mazspd6's Avatar

    mazdaspeed 6

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    raleigh
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by whooosh View Post
    it's simple really
    get out a set of 1/2 drive sockets that you don't care much about
    find the one that just barely "doesn't fit" over the round lock nut
    bang the socket on to the lock nut about 1/2-3/4 of an inch
    loosen as you would but be smooth and not jerky while loosening and don't use an impact to do it.
    This works as I have had to do it on another car because it came with the wrong key for the factory lock lug nuts
    I didn't think of this, the criminals that work for me that apparently steal stuff set me up with the advice
    hope this helps

    oh, and when you get one of them off you are stuck with a socket smashed on to your locking lug nut.
    At that point you need to put the locking lug in a vice and work the socket back off the locking lug.
    Obviously you will need to buy new locking lugs and whatever size socket you used during this sad but had to do it method
    Do this, it absolutely works...have done it myself in the past and saw a tire guy do this to change a flat that was torn to shreds to the point that their was only the bead left on the rim (I was towing the truck from PA to NC and had no idea the tire went flat and we were towing it with a HEMI pickup and really felt no drag at all, my girlfriend didn't think it was as funny as I did since her sister was having her first baby back in NC and we were stuck sleeping in the truck overnight at a bus stop in Baltimore, MD in 90 degree heat overnight...waiting for a tire joint to open)
    and I saw him do the same trick to get the lock off, the key was not in the truck.
    Last edited by mazspd6; 09-16-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. *UPDATED* Mazda 3 flip key *WORKING*
    By joepro in forum MS3 Lounge & Welcome Area
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
  2. Stripped special locking lug nut...
    By Tengo in forum Protege Rims, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM
  3. driving with one missing lug nut?
    By Nomad in forum Protege Rims, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 07:58 AM
  4. My lug nut key MIA
    By UltimaGT in forum MSP Lounge & Welcome Area
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
  5. Programming a Spare Key for Mazda3 - How To Guide
    By dhl in forum Mazda3 & MAZDASPEED3 How-To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •