Price comparison 0f Cx9 between U.S. and Canada!!!

I'm from Canada and I'm thinking of buying this model soon, but I just compared the price of Cx9 here against that of the USA :

Mazda (USA) '07 CX9 MSRP - 29,630 US$ for GS
Mazda (Canada) '07 CX9 MSRP - 39,595 Cdn$ for GS

And as you can see, the Canadian CX9 (GS) is more expensive than the same model in the USA, based on the latest currency exchange! Anybody knows why?

The difference is way too much making me consider to buy this model in the US.

I believe the big gap in prices came with the drop in the Canadian dollar years ago, and hasn't recovered with the recent recovery of our dollar. Basically though, prices have stayed high because consumers are buying at that price. It's the old economic law of supply and demand. If Canadian consumers started delaying the purchase of a new vehicle, or opted for second hand purchases instead, you'd see new car prices adjust downwards. Most of the people I know, however, are leasing brand new vehicles every three years. What kind of message does that give the manufacturers, business is good, Canadian consumers have money to burn.

There are a lot of articles on purchasing new vehicles for use in Canada. It's a complicated business which requires a lot of research. A lot of people use brokers who are familiar with the various fees. Of course the manufacturers make sure you don't have a new car warranty, although there are exceptions.

There are a lot of articles on purchasing new vehicles for use in Canada. It's a complicated business which requires a lot of research. A lot of people use brokers who are familiar with the various fees. Of course the manufacturers make sure you don't have a new car warranty, although there are exceptions.

I know, I've been reading a lot of articles about buying a car for use in Canada, and I've been doing a lot of research for over a month now. Some say its not that bad as long as you provide all the documents needed and pay all the fees that the Canadian Gov't. requires you to pay when importing a car from the US. As of now I'm still undecided and I feel that I need to read more about this.

And by the way thanks for your reply (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Vehicles are priced to make them competitive in their market. The exchange rate doesn't effect this. The CX-9 is VERY competivily priced in the Canadian market. Because Canadian dealers don't compete with US dealers the price difference is irrellevent to them.

The biggest thing you need to ask yourself is do you want to buy a brand new $40k vehicle with no warranty?

Back