loads of camdriven fuel pump info!

mrlilguy157

:
07 mazdaspeed 3
I did some hunting since I came from the vw/audi world, and they unveild the FSI technology before mazda did, therefore there has been more research done from bigger companies.

remember this info is about what we need to work with. i have no idea if APR's pump could work for us, although I wouldn't doubt it because vw/audi and ford/mazda all use bosch parts, so it could possibly be a bolt on operation.

here are some links and excepts to read:

AutoTechRD said:
First off, those of you that have encountered the dreaded fuel cut know that more fuel is needed at low to mid RPM. The factory pump is not capable of building the requested amount of fuel pressure necessary to feed increased boost at low RPM. Many of the tuners have masked this by starting the line pressure higher ( raised from ~110bar to ~130bar) before the engine/ turbo make their way up to fuel cut. Sometimes this allows the engine to accelerate past the known fuel cut scenarios before the fuel pressure drops low enough to trigger a fuel cut. As chip tuners get more aggressive with their fuel and boost maps near boost onset, this problem gets worse.
By increasing the volume of fuel displaced each cycle the pump makes (3 per 720 crank degrees), the pump is capable of pumping more fuel for a given RPM. For example, lets say that Brand X pump is capable of pumping 100cc/min. of fuel @ 3000RPM, and 200cc./min @ 6000RPM. The engine may only require 110cc. of fuel @ 3000, and 180cc @ 6000RPM. In the above situation, it's the lack of fuel volume @ 3000RPM that is the limit, because at 6000RPM the pump is capable of flowing 11% more fuel than needed. Let's say that Brand Y increased the displacement of the pump, and it's flow capacity goes up to 135cc/min @ 3000RPM, and 270cc. @ 6000RPM. That means that the upon installation of Brand Y's pump, the engine will be recieving all 110cc/min of fuel it requires, along with an extra ~23% excess. Now let's say the ECU is flashed with software that ups the boost in the midrange and tapers it down near stock levels @ 6000RPM. It is concievable that the engine would now require 130cc./min @ 3000RPM, and 190cc./min @ 6000RPM. With Brand X pump, the engine would definitely hit a fuel cut @ 3000RPM, but the pump would be capable of keeping up @ 6000RPM. Add Brand Y's fuel pump and the engine can take in all the fuel it requires, at 3000RPM, and 6000RPM. Now the dilema lies in increasing the volume of the pump enough to meet demands but not so much that the ECU controlled regulator/ bypass valve is outflowed.

Some pumps ( or kits) that will be coming to market have seals that are OEM, and some are high quality aftermarket seals. Both are acceptable. The tolerances inside the pumps are very tight, and care must be taken by whomever assembles the pump. Some pumps will be assembled by the company, some will come in kit form requiring (sp?) assembly. It is not a dificult task to assemble a pump. Assembly can be done with one socket, a lint free towel, and clean hands.(overly simplified, but after all, that's essentially all that is needed) For those that are not capable of, or afraid to assemble their pumps, I am sure the company manufacturing the pump will perform the assembly using your pump housing for a small charge.

Now on to the myth about quality vs. cost... Just because a product is less expensive, doesn't mean that it is not lower quality. Sometimes a company may be able to hold a tighter tolerance, and still charge less. Especially if the parts are "easy" for them to deal with. For example, the company that "fits" our pump parts, deals with tolerances 5 times more accurate than we require on these parts. To these guys, 25 millionths of an inch is a clearance (and 5 millionths tolerance) on some parts. So the fact that we have a tolerance of that same 25 millionths makes our parts "easy" for them. These same guys deal with parts very similar to ours every day of the year for the aerospace industry. I am sure that most of, or all the pumps that come to market will have no more clearance than the .0002" that the factory parts have. Some companies measure in metric, so let me tell you that 1 Micron is equal to a little over 39.37 millionths of an inch. So in essence (sp?) our tolerance is ~.635 Microns.

In short, the fuel pump won't increase the peak hp. capacity of stock turbo cars, but it will allow more aggressive tunes at lower RPM.

I think that's a pretty good start towards an education on the new FSI rail pumps that will be coming to market soon.

Keith@APR said:
apr_fsi_pump.jpg

APR 2.0T FSI Fuel Pump

After many long hours of testing, APR’s Engineering Team has developed the final solution to FSI fueling. Even unmodified FSI engines can experience a temporary loss of fuel pressure due to inefficient delivery by the OEM FSI fuel pump. The APR 2.0T FSI Fuel Pump was designed to ensure consistent fuel pressure delivery and will support up to 520hp. The APR 2.0T FSI Fuel Pump requires engine management recalibration to allow for the increased size of the APR Fuel Pump to ensure flawless drivability and is included with your purchase. APR Stage 2 and Ko4 Turbocharger clients will be able to take advantage of increased horsepower and torque up to 25hp and 35lb ft with APR Fuel Pump specific engine management recalibrations.

Pricing is $1099 but as an introductory offer for Waterfest 13 you will save an additional 10% and pricing is $989!

Inventory of APR FSI Pumps is in stock and awaiting final assembly and quality inspection. Order now for the special pricing and you will receive one of the first pumps no later than August 24th.

To place your order, please contact your APR Distribution Network found here http://www.goapr.com/VW/dealer/locator.php or order at the APR Online Store http://www.goapr.com/ or call 800-680-7921

and for the links......

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3345573&page=1

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3343309

http://www.hitachi.com/New/cnews/030930.html

Quote, originally posted by Branman
Hey keith, when the pump is installed will i still be able to put the car back in stock mode and drive normal like if i had to take it to the dealer???

the stock program needs to be re calibrated as well. i spoke to keith about this, and as it was explained to me is that there is a certain algorithm used by the computer to determine how much fuel is in the rail at any given time...this algorithm needs to be adjusted accordingly due to the larger volumes of fuel the pump now supplies per rotation..

Last edited:
ok first its a nice fuel pump dont get me wrong.. secondly its fricken expenisve though and im one for saving money. and third how r u going to get that around the dealership since its camdriven (is it visble or hidden??) if anything goes wrong with ur car.. atleast with the walbro i have the dealership wont even see it.

ok first its a nice fuel pump dont get me wrong.. secondly its fricken expenisve though and im one for saving money. and third how r u going to get that around the dealership since its camdriven (is it visble or hidden??) if anything goes wrong with ur car.. atleast with the walbro i have the dealership wont even see it.

the pump is in the exact same housing as the OE product. its apparent you didn't read the threads i linked to....

they buy new pumps, dissassemble them and bore them out and rebuild them. the external housing is all the same. so it looks (from the outside) like an OE product.

the reason the cost is expensive is because they have to start with a brand new $447.80 pump, then take it apart and 'beef' it up.

its visible? just like the factory camdriven pump is?

Very good work my friend! Expensive but if it allows us to hit 400+, its all good.

Does anyone know how to relieve the stock fuel systems pressure?

so ok lets say u buy this 900 some odd dollar pump and put it on... what about the pump in the fuel tank.. that one is only good to a certain point... can it keep up with the one under the hood. or are u gonna have to upgrade both of them... im just saying i solved the problem i think with the one in the tank... who knows if the stock camdriven one under the hood which by the way is the same as the EVO 9's fuel pump under its hood will do well with the walbro one in the tank on the ATP kit... in my opinion the one in the gas tank needs to be replaced first.. cuz from what ive been hearing the stock one under the hood is pretty damn good..

Very good work my friend! Expensive but if it allows us to hit 400+, its all good.

Does anyone know how to relieve the stock fuel systems pressure?

thank you commander :)

i have no idea. but if you go to read the threads on changing the fuel pumps (its sounds like you have) then its not an easy job or 'safe'

so ok lets say u buy this 900 some odd dollar pump and put it on... what about the pump in the fuel tank.. that one is only good to a certain point... can it keep up with the one under the hood. or are u gonna have to upgrade both of them... im just saying i solved the problem i think with the one in the tank... who knows if the stock camdriven one under the hood which by the way is the same as the EVO 9's fuel pump under its hood will do well with the walbro one in the tank on the ATP kit... in my opinion the one in the gas tank needs to be replaced first.. cuz from what ive been hearing the stock one under the hood is pretty damn good..

you're making stuff up now ROFLCOPTER.

in the other thread you just implied you had no idea what a camdriven fuel pump was, nor if it existed.

also - evo9's arent direct injection, so they dont have this pump.

my mistake i just heard it from someone. only implying what i heard about the evo thing. but in a sense i think i solved the one in the gas tank issue and now with all this knowledge im learning about the camdriven one its gonna suck to have to replace both of them.. how much can the camdriven one handle if im delivering it more fuel with a walbro. like horsepower numbers i dont have any data logged stuff but im wondering can i go over 315 with the walbro on stock camdriven?

my mistake i just heard it from someone. only implying what i heard about the evo thing. but in a sense i think i solved the one in the gas tank issue and now with all this knowledge im learning about the camdriven one its gonna suck to have to replace both of them.. how much can the camdriven one handle if im delivering it more fuel with a walbro. like horsepower numbers i dont have any data logged stuff but im wondering can i go over 315 with the walbro on stock camdriven?

perhaps you can. but i dont think so. through CP-E's diagnostics and what not, the reason the 315whp mark can't be surpassed is because the camdriven pump, hence why there is such commotion about it. i believe its getting enough fuel to the camdriven pump, but its having problems pressurizing and pushing out so much fuel into the motor at such a high flow rate. remember, it has to work more effeciently and faster and faster as the car wants to accelerate faster and faster

if you read the vwvortex threads, they vw/audi FSI motors are stuck at 300whp ish too, so i'm thinking they're the same pumps and we can use the APR pump, but thats the issue. APR is trying to work out a core exchange program and or a send it in and have a week turn around time too, but nothing's been finalized yet. that would make the pump upgrade about 400-500$ instead of a thousand.

the cost to upgrade this fueling system really isn't outrageous compared to regular fuel injected motors. remember, BT guys are havent to go through intank or inline fuelpumps (like the walboro 255lph), fuel pressure regulators, high flow fuel rails, and injectors, at about $100 a piece for nice spray patterened 600cc (at 4.5bar) injectors.

that exquates to about 700$, so the DI may be the same overall cost (with pending mailin upgrade or core exchange) or less; its just a different fuel system to upgrade. we'll never have to upgrade injectors. at 350+ crank HP and only flowing 25% their capacity, that safely equates to at least 700hp at maybe a 60-70% duty cycle.

don't be too quick to judge. everything about this new design of motors must be taken with an open mind. the only problem i see now is.... the fact that APR states the ECU tune will have to be adjusted for the new camdriven fuel pump. maybe CP-E's standback can adjust that? or hopefully Cobb's AccessPort? We can only wait and see. Its one step at a time.

perhaps you can. but i dont think so. through CP-E's diagnostics and what not, the reason the 315whp mark can't be surpassed is because the camdriven pump, hence why there is such commotion about it. i believe its getting enough fuel to the camdriven pump, but its having problems pressurizing and pushing out so much fuel into the motor at such a high flow rate. remember, it has to work more effeciently and faster and faster as the car wants to accelerate faster and faster

if you read the vwvortex threads, they vw/audi FSI motors are stuck at 300whp ish too, so i'm thinking they're the same pumps and we can use the APR pump, but thats the issue. APR is trying to work out a core exchange program and or a send it in and have a week turn around time too, but nothing's been finalized yet. that would make the pump upgrade about 400-500$ instead of a thousand.

the cost to upgrade this fueling system really isn't outrageous compared to regular fuel injected motors. remember, BT guys are havent to go through intank or inline fuelpumps (like the walboro 255lph), fuel pressure regulators, high flow fuel rails, and injectors, at about $100 a piece for nice spray patterened 600cc (at 4.5bar) injectors.

that exquates to about 700$, so the DI may be the same overall cost (with pending mailin upgrade or core exchange) or less; its just a different fuel system to upgrade. we'll never have to upgrade injectors. at 350+ crank HP and only flowing 25% their capacity, that safely equates to at least 700hp at maybe a 60-70% duty cycle.

don't be too quick to judge. everything about this new design of motors must be taken with an open mind. the only problem i see now is.... the fact that APR states the ECU tune will have to be adjusted for the new camdriven fuel pump. maybe CP-E's standback can adjust that? or hopefully Cobb's AccessPort? We can only wait and see. Its one step at a time.

are injectors are only running 25% duty cycle..holy s***.. thats amazing considering i have alot of friends who have to replace there injectors if they want to upgrade thier turbos like DSM's and such. hopefully this crap gets figured out soon man and i hope the price comes down but i guess when u look at what others have to do to replace their fuel systems to go higher in HP ours isnt too bad. and u bring up a good point with Cp-e's EMS being able to adjust it or not i guess its a good thing im not buying any of this stuff till spring, hopefully itll all be figured out by then. by the way what size are our injectors if there only flowing at 25% and at 700 would only flow at 60%-70%..

Last edited:
are injectors are only running 25% duty cycle..holy s***.. thats amazing considering i have alot of friends who have to replace there injectors if they want to upgrade thier turbos like DSM's and such. hopefully this crap gets figured out soon man and i hope the price comes down but i guess when u look at what others have to do to replace their fuel systems to go higher in HP ours isnt too bad. and u bring up a good point with Cp-e's EMS being able to adjust it or not i guess its a good thing im not buying any of this stuff till spring, hopefully itll all be figured out by then.

yes sir 25%. i believe thats cause the injectors for direct injection are CRAZY expensive to replace because of high pressures, but honestly i have no clue. port injection and direct injection are like apples and footballs. completely different.

not even apples and oranges, cause those are both fruits

its not a bad idea to wait at all.... i'm still debating for big turbo or mailing my k04 to new jersey to be bored/honed/polished/reworked for a little bit higher numbers....

well when i get done with my k04 and all of its individual problems that people are having with them (crossing my fingers and hoping that i dont till spring time) im hooking it up to my lawnmower. so in theory we could push up around almost 900+ horsepower on the stock injectors just everything thing else on the car would have to be replaced. good to know i guess.

This is some pretty interesting info here.

I'm at work but I'm anxious to read through all of this stuff soon when I get off today.

I'm sure the standback would even be capable of adjusting the fuel pressure to match the rebuilt pump?

yes sir 25%. i believe thats cause the injectors for direct injection are CRAZY expensive to replace because of high pressures, but honestly i have no clue. port injection and direct injection are like apples and footballs. completely different.

not even apples and oranges, cause those are both fruits

its not a bad idea to wait at all.... i'm still debating for big turbo or mailing my k04 to new jersey to be bored/honed/polished/reworked for a little bit higher numbers....

May I ask where you are sending your K04 to in new jersey? I am very interested in getting my K04 reworked for more flow. Especially since I have not heard any updates on CP-E's hitachi/warner hybrid setup. Also, how long does it take and how much does something like that cost? Oh, one more quick question as well, would it be safe to say that the weak turbo seal issue that has plagued the ms6's K04s with billowing smoke seen by satellite <--[exaggeration, but not far off :) ] would also be addressed on a rework bore/hone job?

Last edited:
May I ask where you are sending your K04 to in new jersey? I am very interested in getting my K04 reworked for more flow. Especially since I have not heard any updates on CP-E's hitachi/warner hybrid setup. Also, how long does it take and how much does something like that cost? Oh, one more quick question as well, would it be safe to say that the weak turbo seal issue that has plagued the ms6's K04s with billowing smoke seen by satellite <--[exaggeration, but not far off :) ] would also be addressed on a rework bore/hone job?

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123675155

but keep this thread to the camdriven fuel pump stuff!

Ok, before you laugh at me.... I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fuel pumps/turbos/anything besides intake exh and other basics...

So i just learned that the new Sky Redline (so i assume solstice gxp) is direct injected and got this little bit of info on its fuel pump:

Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel-injected engines, and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 2,250 psi (155 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle approximately 752 psi (50 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The cam-driven high-pressure pumps works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

So maybe we can look through some of the GM forums as well to see if maybe they might be getting anywhere. I know there cars are just as new to direct injection if not newer, but I would say the sky and solstice are probably getting more attention from the aftermarket than we are???

Ok, now (flame2) go for it

Ok, before you laugh at me.... I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fuel pumps/turbos/anything besides intake exh and other basics...

So i just learned that the new Sky Redline (so i assume solstice gxp) is direct injected and got this little bit of info on its fuel pump:

Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel-injected engines, and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 2,250 psi (155 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle approximately 752 psi (50 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The cam-driven high-pressure pumps works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

So maybe we can look through some of the GM forums as well to see if maybe they might be getting anywhere. I know there cars are just as new to direct injection if not newer, but I would say the sky and solstice are probably getting more attention from the aftermarket than we are???

Ok, now (flame2) go for it

No flaming needed.

Through other threads we've mentioned the Solstice and what not. Its direct injected, as is our DISI motor and the VW/Audi FSI motors.

I think APR's pump is the way to go, because its built for ridiculous flow, but the Solstice could be a small alternative, if it is the exact same design pump. I'm pretty sure the VW/Audi pump is going to work with us, because its Hitachi product, and the Mazda has Hitachi written all over the underside of the hood.

If you have seen the new direct inject powerstroke diesal ads in motortrend, they have this crazy ass pic of the new injectors that use piezo technology. Think of a Epson Inkjet printer...

Our injectors arent the problem, getting ample volume at required pressure is. I was told by Ken at PG that we cant even change out plugs without being seriously injured due to the crazy pressure in the cylinder head. I wouldnt mind doing this pump exchange, let alone, being the first. Im a DIY guy and need the procedure on relieving the pressure on the stock system. Im sure i will have to buy a special fuel disconnect tool for this DI setup as well.

I dont have any doubts that CP-E can control the new pump. They seem to be on their game. I wonder if they have begun working on a fuel solution as well or is it going to be up to us and the VW/AUDI guys?

If there was a way to get an external fuel pressure gauge to the cockpit, we could see whats going on. If its pressure, than the needle will begin to drop.. If its just volume, the computer sensors will pick that up. I have a sneaking suspicion its volume as opposed to pressure.

Eventually, this is going to be cracked.. When it does, these cars are going to be monsters. Hell, they might even stay together with 400HP without switching internals with a proper tune.

I would like to see CP-E and other tuners get involved with this discussion.

haltech, i just PM'd you.

i don't think CPE has a solution nor have they investigated it much.... i've brought up more information than they've yet to share. i'm sure that they plan to have a solution soon enough.

i've yet to see a direct injection fuel pressure gauge. i've been looking for quite sometimem for this reason. every gauge i've seen comes nothing near even 1000psi., like 150psi tops? lame.com

once again, i dont think the pressure is at fault either, its definately a volume thing. 1600psi is the highest pressure the fuel has to be at full load and peak rpms. the crazy high pressure is what makes the fuel able to be directly injected into the cylinder. i don't think the factory cam pump can pressurize fuel in that crazy amount of volume that fast for more poniesssssssss (HP) at a more rapid acceleration.

I'm not worthy ... I'm not worthy ... I'm not worthy ...

You guys are F-in amazing. Here I was all set of reaching 300 whp and staying there, thinking that would be fast enough. Now I am willing to dip into my house-downpayment-fund to buy one of these.

But, on another note, a buddy of mine has the Solstice GTP and is into modding it as much as any of you. Luckily, GM cars have a great aftermarket, and the Solstice and Sky will have the aftermarket between GM performance parts and others. I have a feeling that if they experience the same problems, he will run into them sooner rather than later. Ill have to ask him what his community has in terms of fuel issues/solutions and I will get back to all of you.

Back