Timing belt replacement question.

beetle812

OK, hold your fire, I searched and searched... found a lot of great info but no answer to my question. A lot of people on here say they did the timing belt ('02 P5) themselves.

I bought the parts was all ready to do it. Looked in the shop manual and see that a motor mount has to come out.

To all those who did this job themselves:
Do you have a hoist? Or, is there a safe place to jack up the engine from underneath? Or, did you just undo the motor mount and let the others hold the weight of the engine?

You can put a jack with a block under the oil pan, along with the other 3 mounts it's not much weight.

Just make sure that the block of wood is wide enough to spread the weight evenly and not dent the pan. You don't really need to jack the engine up as much as just support it in it's normal position.

has anybody written or seen a 'how-to' on this?

I need to replace mine too and search came up with a few tips but nothing on how difficult or how much time it takes?

The service manual at ugly.net does a good job of walking you through this job. Search for Protege5 service manual on google. It should come up at the top.

x2 for the manual. Do search a little harder - good hints from other people who have done it.

Back