fuse keeps blowing

Andrewsmc

:
Sunlight Silver Msp
Well i have listened to my system for over 1 month now (it has an upgraded sub) and just now it has started blowing the fuse in the amp... i puit a new 1 in, it played for about 5 mins. Then stops. did it again.. Same. Could i put a diff size fuse? i pulled a 15a out of it, thats what i put back in. is my amp going out? HELP!

Most people will tell you not to put a larger fuse in, at risk of damaging something etc... I, on the other hand, was having the exact same issue about a month ago (new sub, same stock amp) except the fuse I was blowing was the one near the battery, also a 15A. Upped that to a 20A, and since the amp still has a 15A fuse I figured I would be relatively safe. Haven't blown a fuse since and the sub has worked perfectly. But hey, I'm probably asking for trouble so maybe you're better off not listening to me.

You may be overloading the system, but the most important thing is not to replace the fuse with a bigger one that wont blow. It has a 15A fuse for a reason, it will blow to protect the amp. If you put a bigger fuse in you defeat its purpose and you will damage the amp itself. I dont see why it would overload though...an 8 inch doesnt seem like it would draw that much power...and ive run 12" subs off a 250 watt amp...the stock MSP amp is 450 i think...

stock MSP amp is rated 125 rms @ 4 ohms. 250 Max at 4 ohms. the stock sub is 125 watts rms and is 8 ohms.

Back