Is protege5 worth buying?

arim416

this maybe a dumb question to ask on this forum.....but I really need some advise.
i currently own a sentra 1.8s 2004 44000mi, but I really like the style of protege5.
There is this proteg5 2002 with 60k mile on it selling for 9000. My car only worth about 6000, so, i am wondering if this is a fair trade in turns of reliability.
Does the 2002 protege5 has lots of potential mechanical problems?
How many mpg are you guys getting? i am getting 28-30 on my sentra....i hope it's not too far off from protege5
thanx guys!

Ask anyone in these forums, the protege5 is well worth it, good reliability wilth little but routine maintenance needed, really trust worthy...i could go on and on about the P5, and its really fun to drive btw...MPG proabaly like 28-31, there is a thread on here about it

you should jump on that... i just got one for 9000 too but with 73000 miles, mines been great so far good gas i fill up once every 2 weeks and i drive it hard.

its a very reliable car so dont worry about that aspect of it, if you want something fast look elsewhere but if you want a fun commuter car this is it.

the only potential mechanical problem for an '02 i can think of is the weak forks in the transmission(auto i think). they switched that out for the later models. i heard sentras have many suspension troubles. the p5 has rattles and creaks but ya can work on it xD got my '02.5 almost a yr ago for 9500 wit about 49k miles. i assume u, u'll have fun wit this sexy car xD

I have only owned my P5 for a few months but I have read extensively on this forum and did my homework before buying. Reliability is not an issue at all, plus, this car, while not a torque monster, is a blast to drive. You won't regret it, and I would recommend a 5 speed...

Let me put it this way.

I have over 125 thousand miles on my P5 and wouldn't give it a second thought about driving across the country. Just hop in and go.

That sound like a good deal, I'd jump on it. There are ton's of Nissan's out there but the P5's are limited to a 2 year Stateside production. So technically that would make them a limited edition, right? LOL

Either way they are a blast to drive. What they lack in the horsepower they make up for in ride and handling.

Obviously you'll get a little bias posting that question on a Mazda forum. But objectively, reliability and mileage are the same with both cars. You should ask yourself if style > 16K miles + $3000 + the headache of selling/buying a car.

I wouldn't trade your Sentra + money for an older P5. P5 is a great, great car, but it just doesn't make sense, unless you're having problems with the Sentra or something.

I test-drove the car this morning and found it a little stiff. I could feel the pavement, and the most important thing is........the bumper has too many scratches.................
well.. i am still thinking about it............or maybe i will just stay with my stupid sentra

arim416 said:
I test-drove the car this morning and found it a little stiff. I could feel the pavement, and the most important thing is........the bumper has too many scratches.................
well.. i am still thinking about it............or maybe i will just stay with my stupid sentra

i hate bad paint, my car has all kinds of little chips and scraches. i hate it, good luck on whichever car you choose, my opinion would be the Pro5, lots ot potential!!!

I found this 2002 protege5 with only 21000 mi, asking for 11000....
If i can get it at 10000, i might buy it! wish me luck guys
haha

if u can deal with its lack of straight line power...I can honestly say that it will be one of the greatest cars you will ever buy/drive

Ive driven evos, r32 golfs, cadillac cts/sts/xlr v's , vipers, corvettes, porches....etc...ive driven them all...and i can honestly say that with the exception of power, the protege5 is basically the best car ever.

It is a car you will never forget, and you will honestly have a hard time finding a car under $50,000 that can rival its handling.

I wish it was faster, but then again...I freaking love the hell out of it

the p5 is be far the best investment I've got, other than my wife of course, (she works for the government =p)

and if you got the money, just do things right and have the engine built and drop a turbo in it and then you will have the Power!!! haha. my dream will come true!!!

Is it an auto or manual? The 02 manual had weaker shift forks, but were replaced halfway through the model year (2002.5). The automatics are decent I have heard.

I love my p5 and wouldn't replace it with anything that costs around the same.

As for your stiff comment, the p5 is a driver's car. You'll feel the road, you'll feel the curves, and you'll want more. Is it on the stock wheels or 17" rims? If you prefer a gentler ride, look elsewhere :)

She's not fast. Nothing about her is fast. But she's quick. She's fun. She doesn't sway. She doesn't roll. She hardly slips. If you put good shoes on her, take her to the track. Tear it up.

katsi said:
Ive driven evos, r32 golfs, cadillac cts/sts/xlr v's , vipers, corvettes, porches....etc...ive driven them all...and i can honestly say that with the exception of power, the protege5 is basically the best car ever.
Oh, my!

Back