Just had the #4 mount bolt replaced on my MS3

Stamperman

:
Mazdaspeed3 & Mazda5
I've just returned from the dealer where I had the recall performed on my Mazdaspeed3 for the #4 Motor Mount. It was the first installation of the recall that my dealer (Mazda Direct, Columbus Ohio) had completed. I asked some questions and here are the responses I got.

The bolt is being replaced on all Speed 3's that were built within the specified production dates of the recall. The new bolt is slightly longer and has an integrated lock washer to keep it from backing out. The old bolt had a torque spec of around 40 ft/lbs. The new bolt is put in at around 120 ft/lbs.

When they do the inspection on the old bolt they put a torque wrench on it and check it to 22.1 ft lbs before removing it. If the old bolt is not at least that tight then they replace the #4 engine mount bracket too, as they figure it may be damaged. If the car iwas made before a certain VIN number then some rubber must be removed from the top of the existing motor mount.

Most of this information is a rehash of what has been posted before, especially the PDF's of the recall procedure that have been posted. What I didn't see anywhere was the large difference in the torque figures for the bolt.

My bolt was not loose and my original bracket was OK. I didn't expect to notice any difference in the car after having the recall completed, however I am pleasantly surprised to find that the engine rocks around less than previously. I already have the lower urethane mount installed (it's not really so much a motor mount as an anti-rotation device) and between the new bolt and the lower "mount" the motor barley moves at all. At first I thought I was imagining the difference, so I started playing with the car, giving it some hard gas and letting off, declerating against the motor and then hitting the gas hard. It's different and actually much better. The way the car should have been in the first place. I'm interested if it made a difference in anyone elses car.

Also I'm super releived that I don't have to worry about getting asphault rash on my oil pan anymore!

mine gets done on monday and I take delivery of the car for the first time on tuesday. I'll post then!!! the MS3 I test drove did have some engine rock but then again, I beat on that car pretty hard so who knows.

Is it less noisy when you turn the car off now? I know I can hear it moving around when I shut off the ignition, and it bugs the crap out of me, but my srt did it too. Just wondering.

zoom-zoomhatch said:
Is it less noisy when you turn the car off now? I know I can hear it moving around when I shut off the ignition, and it bugs the crap out of me, but my srt did it too. Just wondering.

I've not noticed stuff moving around when I shut it off previosuly, but maybe it will help your out. The motions are much better controlled than they were before. Not as stiff as my old VW scirocco with the full compliment of urethane motor mounts and a heim joint to keep the engine from moving, but tight enough that I've really been attaking corners with it while heel and toeing. I found it really difficult to do stock with the amount the motor moved around, it was a lot better with the urethane mount added and just about perfect with the new torque on the #4mount. Heck, I would have torqed the old bolt to 120 ft/lbs if I'd known it made a difference.

You know I watched a video of a dyno run of an 07 speed3 on youtube. It seemed to have an abnormal amount of movement of the motor. I hope your seat of the pants feeling is correct. What would be interesting is, short of a before and after video of a dyno run. I'd like to see someone video just them reving the engine in neutral before and after the mount is done.
Just a thought. May not work with no load on the engine.
Tom

I'd be willing to be you even lose some HP through that engine movement....not alot but a few ponies at least.

I was thinking the same thing. Any gains prob just be the fact that it might launch better. Glad they finally fixed that problem though, even if I never had an engine fall, I will feel safer.

do they give you crap if your car is modded? like say, TBE & CAI?

Karma_hunden said:
do they give you crap if your car is modded? like say, TBE & CAI?

I've got a K&N drop in and one of the urethane lower mounts, and got no grief over either . The Service guy was trying to talk me into having them putting on a set of lowering springs. Said he could do it for $550 installed. I can buy Eibach's and put them myself for less than half that!

He also told me that Eibach makes the Mazdaspeed springs and they are just powdercoated a different color. I don't know if that's true or not, but it would be interesting to find out.

My stealership said they haven't heard of anything about a recall and I made them check thier thing, then when they found it they said it wasn't supposed to go into affect until the 13th. Then he wanted me to leave my car and give me a ride home untill I threw a fit and told them I thought I would get a rental or loaner car for free, now I have an appointment for in the morning and they said they would have my loaner car ready when I got there to drop the car off. Can't wait to at least get it taken care of.

Last edited:
And as I drop my car off again my dealership drops the ball on customer service and makes me take a ride home with there shuttle service or whatever so here I sit with no car again...

Stamperman said:
I've just returned from the dealer where I had the recall performed on my Mazdaspeed3 for the #4 Motor Mount. ...I didn't expect to notice any difference in the car after having the recall completed, however I am pleasantly surprised to find that the engine rocks around less than previously. I already have the lower urethane mount installed (it's not really so much a motor mount as an anti-rotation device) and between the new bolt and the lower "mount" the motor barley moves at all. At first I thought I was imagining the difference, so I started playing with the car, giving it some hard gas and letting off, declerating against the motor and then hitting the gas hard. It's different and actually much better. The way the car should have been in the first place. I'm interested if it made a difference in anyone elses car.

I noticed a substantial difference, too. Clutch engagement on takeoff seems much smoother and it just feels more solid all around. Initially, I noticed a little more vibration in the steering wheel, but I don't notice it anymore.

you know i just picked mine up from the dealer after getting that done and i am sort of shocked at the difference it made! firmer shifts, alot less sloppy and no more clunk over bumps!

the bolt is not any longer or else its such a small amount its not noticeable. the main diff is its a grade 10 the old one is a grade 8 and the new one has red lock tight. i put the 2 side by side today and could not see much other difference.

Does anyone know how long the recall takes? Is it a quick fix that I can wait for or does it take a day or so?

Mine is detailed out at 1.5 hours for a total mount replacement. The bolt would prob be an hour or so.
doesn't matter, mazda still pays the dealer for 0.8 hours
the tech probably spent 1.5 hours on the car though.... he didn't make money!

Back