CEL Code Help Pls!

MyZmZm

ShiftAccelerategrinRepeat
:
'02 Midnight Mica Blue P5
got the codes for my CEL pulled yesterday, and i'm unclear on what exactly they mean - and what needs to be done to 'fix' them. :(

Code P0140: O2 Sensor, CKT No Activity, (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
Code P0037: HO2S Bank 1 Sen 2, Heater Circuit, Low

i have a header with the non-fouler; it's been on the car and running fine for about two years now. the non-fouler is pretty rusty on the surface, and there was some carbon build-up inside and on the sensor itself, so my dad cleaned them with paint thinner (used a q-tip on the sensor, and soaked the non-fouler).

car occasionally idles pretty rough when at a stop (almost stalls out at times), but otherwise sounds and drives fine.

help!!

Well, I was wrong in my PM ZmZm. I had the P0031 code, but basically the same. I'm almost positive you've got a dead #2 O2 sensor. Universal Bosch ones are ~$60 at the auto parts store. Stockers are about 4 times that much. I replaced my dead #1 O2 sensor over 6 months ago with a universal Bosch replacement and everything is fine.

TheMAN said:
its EXACTLY what it means, do you understand english? it means IT'S DEAD
yes, i can understand edwin... it's what i expected the code meant, but when i got the CEL the beginning of last week, i only got the first code. it was pulled at my uncle's mechanic and he said that the O2 sensor was fine, just that it wasn't reading what it wanted to (my guess was something to do with the non-fouler). but on the last half of my 3k mile trip from edmonton to wichita, the CEL came back and now i had the two codes i mentioned.

is it fairly easy to change out the O2 sensors? my fiance's done it on his ranger, and my neighbour is a complete gearhead... i'd really rather not spend the money to take it to a dealership right now.

also, if i don't change the sensor for a week or two, will i run into further problems with my car? or will i be ok, with the exception of slightly worse than average fuel economy?

thanks again :)

MyZmZm said:
yes, i can understand edwin... it's what i expected the code meant, but when i got the CEL the beginning of last week, i only got the first code. it was pulled at my uncle's mechanic and he said that the O2 sensor was fine, just that it wasn't reading what it wanted to (my guess was something to do with the non-fouler). but on the last half of my 3k mile trip from edmonton to wichita, the CEL came back and now i had the two codes i mentioned.

is it fairly easy to change out the O2 sensors? my fiance's done it on his ranger, and my neighbour is a complete gearhead... i'd really rather not spend the money to take it to a dealership right now.

also, if i don't change the sensor for a week or two, will i run into further problems with my car? or will i be ok, with the exception of slightly worse than average fuel economy?

thanks again :)

Didn't you just take it off to check the non-fouler?

Try doing that again, but put a new one back on genius.

Pull the nonfouler and clean it up with some simple green or deep creep.

Change the O2 sensor and put a universal 4 wire Bosche in. It is really easy to do. Reset the ECU and you are golden.

thanks... i just didn't know if it was as easy as swapping them over, or if anything would have to be done with the wiring. besides, i didn't actually take off the O2 sensor when i cleaned it, just worked on it under the car.

The unviersals come with a wiring code to match it to the factory colors. It is pretty simple once you have it all in front of you.

Back