Add A Circuit

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
Hey, I am going to use one of the little add a circuit things to direct wire my radar detector, and have a question. I am going to use the radio fuse so that it turns on and off w/ the car (like the radio does) and I need to know what fuse to use. The radio fuse I believe is 15A so does that mean I need another 15A for the radar detector? Radar Roy added his into the radio fuse so I was planning on the same, just wanted to be sure i got the fuses right

http://youtube.com/watch?v=twC5pCQYC90 - how to direct wire the radar detector by Radar Roy

21XPFAZZDBL._SS500_.jpg

The cigarette adapter for your radar detector has a fuse in it. Unscrew it and check the amp rating. It is probably less than 5a and that is all you will need for this add-a-fuse thingy.

Yes. Take the 15a radio fuse out, plug in this module. Stick the 15a fuse in the slot that passes through (not sure which one that is from the photo). Stick a 5a fuse in the other slot which sends power to the cable sticking out.

i checked the cigarette adapter and there is no fuse. there is a computer chip of some sort, but no fuse...... so i guess i'll use a 5

Are you sure about that? I have never seen one that didn't have a cylinder-style fuse in it.

i didnt see one. but maybe i'm not sure what to look for. i'll just use a 5a fuse i reckon and if it works i'll leave it

i got the direct wire hooked up i just cant find a way to mount the smart cord mute button on top of the steering column right behind the wheel. nothing seems to stick to it. tried 3m dbl sided tape, mounting tape, duct tape, electrical tape. nothing seems to stick to it. anyone know what will? i dont wanna super glue it cuz then i'll never get it off

Clean it with some mineral spirits and wipe it off quickly. It prob has some greasy residue from some cleaner.

i used rubbing alcohol. it worked :) thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i need to re-armorall where it isnt sticking. doesnt it protect against UV and stuff

Armorall is just a marketing myth. If you want to prevent your dash from cracking, park in the shade, crack your windows a little, and use one of those sun shades. extreme heat and extreme exposure to direct sunlight will cause cracking...armorall won't help at all.

Back