Getting 430 Miles to the tank?

oh3speed

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I used to get only 330 back before i had my unichip. Then i put it on during the winter and i still got around the same. As soon as it got warm i started getting 400+ ? idk why that would have happened. Any ideas?

Heck, I have always gotten over 400 miles out of 12 gallons.
I get a little better after the MPI was installed.

oh3speed said:
I used to get only 330 back before i had my unichip. Then i put it on during the winter and i still got around the same. As soon as it got warm i started getting 400+ ? idk why that would have happened. Any ideas?

gas is "winterized" during the colder months and is more oxygenated. This will yield about 2-3mpg less than summer gas. Its normal to see an increase during summer months depending on the condition of your vehicle.

the Unichip corrects alot of the stock tune issues of running extremely rich which helped your situation considerably. You are now no longer wasting as much gas as you did in stock form.

Its more than likely a function of your driving style combined with primarily highway driving more than anything else. Stay out of boost and you'll get great MPG's, after all its a 4 cylinder. I have no ems and can get 30+ mpg's, but I didn't buy the car to stay out of boost.

I just bought my car the other day and they pumped a full tank into it for me. I've been driving it and right now it seems I've put about 200 miles on it and the fuel gauge reads a little over the 1/4 mark. I don't think I'll even reach 300. Of course I've been testing the car out so that'll probably affect it, so hopefully my next round of gas I can test it more.

My car seems to hesitate a lot. I'm not 100% certain if it has been reflashed. I called Mazda today and the service guy couldn't tell me jack. He didn't even know about the flash. Under the hood there is a label that states "Mazda Authorized Modification", but I'm not sure if it is for the flash or something else.

Should I waste my money on the flash, or should I just invest it in getting the DSM AFC? Will the DSM AFC fix my hesitation problem and also give me better gas mileage? Right now all that is in the car that I know of is an Injen CAI, Autometer boost gauge and A/F ratio gauge.

I have always got 23 - 27 per gallon, never better! If my trip meter is nearing 300, I better have a station nearby!

The car has 51k+ miles so it is out of the factory warranty. I have the extended warranty, but I think there is a $100 deductible. If the flash is $80 or so, then I would have to probably pay for it anyway. First I need to find out if the car has been flashed or not.

Does the flash help with your gas mileage as well?

I wish I got even close to 400 miles. I get about 300 even when I reach a quarter tank (thats when I fill up, yea I'm pretty anal about it).

kamon8404 said:
I wish I got even close to 400 miles. I get about 300 even when I reach a quarter tank (thats when I fill up, yea I'm pretty anal about it).
Well I get from about 100 miles per quarter to just over that so you are in the same range. I get gas when the light comes on and I usually put in about 12 gallons.

I measured my gas mileage a little more closely this time and I got about 350 miles when the gas light turned on. I think the light comes on when there is still 2-3 gallons left. So it seems I probably get around 27-30 mpg. This is a mixture of city and highway miles. Mainly normal driving and not much turbo boost. Atleast I'm in the stock mpg range.

I regularly get 30 or more to the gallon, unless I've been running the A/C constantly *grumble whiny girlfriends grumble*. Last tank was 31. Mostly highway and suburban driving.

i hit another 350-360 to the tank. I cant seem to get past that no matter how i drive.

even all highway i don't hit 400. i think i come somewhat close, but a steady 95 mph hurts when the engine is at ~4800 rpm.

Back