Front Mount Bolt/Nut

ProtoType5

Contributor
:
2002 22A P5 and 2007 TR MS3
Soooo, I killed the nut on my front engine mount...Damn 12 point ratchet....I'm an idiot, so now I'm cutting the nut and hopefully salvaging the bolt...Wondering if anyone knows the specs of the nut to make my trip to the parts store as painless as possible....Specs on the bolt would be helpful, as I may just grind the whole damn thing off....

How about one of those stripped nut remover deals from sears? It tightens down on it as you turn to remove nut, kinda like a socket that goes on the wratchet. Not sure of the bolt/nut specs, sorry.

Ya try the damaged nut removed first. If that fails cut/drill it or the head off the bolt, take the remains to a local shop and look for a replacement. Make sure you get a strong bolt to replace it as well.

Speaking of this mess, why in the world did they make 12 point sockets? I mean really, I have never seen 12 point bolts! Always use 6 point.

Magus

only time 12 point's helped me is in tight spaces w/ a combination wrench. Other than that, 6 pt always...

I did the same thing. Went to Home Depot and Lowes looking for the right nut and neither had it. Had to buy it from the dealer for about $3. Excellent.

Magus said:
Speaking of this mess, why in the world did they make 12 point sockets? I mean really, I have never seen 12 point bolts! Always use 6 point.

Magus
I dunno, but I finally needed one doing the clutch on an Si last weekend, lol.

Magus said:

Magus

12 point bolts are common as header bolts on a lot of v-8 applications. The smaller head makes it easier to get to the fastener....most v-8 header tubes leave you very little room to work.

Thanks guys, I'll probably just call the dealership and pick up and extra nut and bolt

JoshP5 said:
I did the same thing. Went to Home Depot and Lowes looking for the right nut and neither had it. Had to buy it from the dealer for about $3. Excellent.
Hey, $3's not too bad! Knowing dealerships, I would have expected something ridiculous like $15! I wouldn't be surprised either, having seen their $120 piece of plastic that is a radio pocket.

Back