HOW-TO: Shave Side-Moldings/MS3 Emblem

I seriously want to go back in time right now and punch myself in the eyes so I won't be able to see this. I cleaned the area and rinsed with water and as the water went down, I could see a line of it all the way across:eek:

It hasn't lost it's shine or anything, but you can clearly see where the strip was. Almost looks as if the door was clear coated with the strip on there. I'll try to get some decent pics. But crap! That was amazingly the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Here are some pics in both small and large format so you can see the detail:
small:
Picture003-2.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Seems like there is a lighter/whiter area beginning to surround the "damaged" areas. QQ

Edit: I just finished spraying down the area so there is some water/water spots on there
2nd Edit: Large pictures turned out the same:p No use for them

Last edited:
Only body work I've ever had done was to the front end after my accident. None of the damage made it anywhere near the door.
I just don't understand. I'm guessing there's no cheap way out of this one eh? A kick in the a$$ right there for me lol, but that's life!

I bet you right now that they blended the front paintwork that they did to the doors to match the front end, and what you see there is a clearcoat thrown over the door moldings. At this point, you've got yourself a dilemma...either try to buff that all out so it looks good, peel off the rest of the moldings and re-spray clear, or put the moldings back on and try your best to forget about it.

Gaaaahhhh.. I agree with fourthmeal's assumption. If it were me, I'd just put the trim back on.. In your case this easy and cheap appreance mod isn't so cheap if you choose to keep the shaved look.. IMO..

Looks nice but so naked without the side accents. I'm keeping mine on just in case some ass decides to ram my door with his door. But this is why I park in the back of parking lots...far far away from losers like that! :)

One of the reasons I took mine off was b/c the moldings are not even high enough to protect you. So just wanted to get that idea out of your head. They are there for no reason. They are too low.

I did it the right way BTW, like fourthmeal mentioned, I took them off and gave the car a full detail.

I bet you right now that they blended the front paintwork that they did to the doors to match the front end, and what you see there is a clearcoat thrown over the door moldings. At this point, you've got yourself a dilemma...either try to buff that all out so it looks good, peel off the rest of the moldings and re-spray clear, or put the moldings back on and try your best to forget about it.

Yup - I believe you're right. If you had body work done to your car, they usually blend the paint to the rest of your body. If, for example, you start to rip it from the rear, you may not see it since they might not have touched the rear doors at all. But since they had to paint the front, I am betting that's what they did - blended the paint.

Can you go back to the paint shop and see if they can do anything for you though? Seems like an oversight on their part if you ask me. Shouldn't have to paint AROUND the plastic molding especially if there is painted metal beneath it.

I'm kinda sad this happened to you, but glad that the only case where this "mod" didn't have a good outcome is because of a previous body repair, not a virgin painted car. I plan on doing this within a month of taking delivery of my MS3.

this how too was way over done. Ill give you guys the DRIVER311 HOW TO!@!!!

Get a pitcher of hot water.
Pour it onto the molding.
use small screw driver and pry one end up.
Pull it off
Will come off very very easy with all adhesive
Take some wax and clean the area up.
DONE! TOOK ME LITERALLY 5 MINUTES TO DO THIS. (dunno)

Last edited:
this how too was way over done. Ill give you guys the DRIVER311 HOW TO!@!!!

Get a pitcher of hot water.
Pour it onto the molding.
use small screw driver and pry one end up.
Pull it off
Will come off very very easy with all adhesive
Take some wax and clean the area up.
DONE! TOOK ME LITERALLY 5 MINUTES TO DO THIS. (dunno)

you've gotta be careful if you use a screw driver though not to scratch the paint.

I used a plastic bag. Just grabbed one end stuck the plastic between the end and the door lifted a little and wa la. Pulled it all off. Then drove to the paint and body shop for nice full detail.

it wasnt that big of a deal. i didnt even get close to the paint. Lets pretend I said credit card or something. LOL

yep. two holes. middle right and middle left. pretty easy to remove too. I got the SU black M on there now. But im about to take it off too...

Back