Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

I literally gave him the bulletin number and watched as he pulled it up on his computer. At that point, there was no hessitation on his part. However, before I gave him the number, he was doing the run-around thing. Good luck.

MUSOM said:
I literally gave him the bulletin number and watched as he pulled it up on his computer. At that point, there was no hessitation on his part. However, before I gave him the number, he was doing the run-around thing. Good luck.

Talked to the dealership and they're telling me they are gonna need my car for the day to get stock part #s off my ride to confirm which parts are needed. Since my car is stock i have nothing to worry about but sounds stupid. TSB is by VIN so just replace my frickin clutch!!!

I posted on Mazda 6 club too, but they told me that they are ordering parts and they should be here by Monday.

That's bulls***. I would raised my tone a little if they would have said that to me. I guess, considering me as an example, good looks will get you far! haha(enguard)

delmari said:
Talked to the dealership and they're telling me they are gonna need my car for the day to get stock part #s off my ride to confirm which parts are needed. Since my car is stock i have nothing to worry about but sounds stupid. TSB is by VIN so just replace my frickin clutch!!!

I haven't but I plan on doing so over the next few weeks.

R

Just dropped my car at the dealership today.

They deemed the fix necessary (glad I didn't have to fight the dealership) and ordered the parts. Parts should be in on Wednesday.

I'm a bit nervous because they can't seem to figure out how many days are needed for the install. But, they've prob never done this TSB before so I shouldn't be surprised. I usually don't like to be the first person to have this kind of work done.

What about those of you that already had plans to get this done?

Can you tell me the difference?

I've had my car for a week, I'm use to the clutch..... I'm not even sure what you guys find "difficult" about it......maybe it's just cause i've driven too many different clutch cars (friends cars from STi to Evo, to 240sx) that I don't notice it cause they all have a different clutch.(dunno)

But I'm interested in hearing from someone who has had this done.......do you notice the improvement...... if yes, is it a good one? or a bad one......if no you don't notice then perhaps they didn't even do the work?

Speak up people.....(thumb)

[eidt]
The reason I ask is cause my VIN puts me in the Type-A category....so I'd like to know of anyone who's had this done and what their opinion on it is.....

Last edited:
I've gotten used to my type-A clutch over the past month or so but it still catches me off guard. Especially if I hold my foot down on it at a stop light for more than a few seconds, when I pull up I never get a clean start. 1-2 is also rough when I shift at a higher-than-usual rpm.

I'm a bit nervous because they can't seem to figure out how many days are needed for the install. But, they've prob never done this TSB before so I shouldn't be surprised.
I doubt they have done this TSB yet...it has only been out for a week or so. Once I hear back from some people who have had it fixed I'll take mine in.

chuyler1 said:
I've gotten used to my type-A clutch over the past month or so but it still catches me off guard. Especially if I hold my foot down on it at a stop light for more than a few seconds, when I pull up I never get a clean start. 1-2 is also rough when I shift at a higher-than-usual rpm.

I doubt they have done this TSB yet...it has only been out for a week or so. Once I hear back from some people who have had it fixed I'll take mine in.

Mine catches me off guard too, TWICE it caught me, TWICE in the same place, really weird...... I was at KFC and at the exit part to pull out of the parking lot and into another one my car kinda stuttered forward and shut off as i was lifting the clutch.... TWICE in the same spot.....never happens to me at a light cause i just rev to 1500 rpm and let it out easy. Maybe it's just the way the drive is made but I kept thinking WTF?!(boom01)

And I too want to hear about some of the people who said they took their car in.... have they gotten it back? How do they feel about the clutch now? Any significant difference in the play/feel of it?

The first thing I noticed about the MS3 is how high the engagement point is. Is the clutch on the MS3 similar to the MS6? If so, maybe this should apply to both... I'm sure the AWD will make them differ a bit though.

I've test driven the MS3.... it was a while ago, so I can't recall exactly... but I think it was about the same..... try going to your dealer and testing a MS6, you'll be able to notice any difference better because you're already driving a MS3

This is the first I have heard that there was anything wrong with the MS3 clutch. By most accounts, MS6 owners who test drove a MS3 said it was much better than their own cars.

chuyler1 said:

I have a tendency to get caught by the clutch as well. usually when sittin at a light on level ground. the engagement point is so high, that i'll just relax a little bit and then all of a sudden i'm dead. if i'm on an incline at all it's 1500 rpm otherwise i'm launchin at 3000 tryin not to hit the idiot on my bumper. 1-2 is different for me. at higher rpm shifting is smoother than at 3k. still notchy though regardless. keep us posted on the new clutch. good luck

chuyler1 said:

I agree. I am used to my clutch now, but it still catches me off-guard every once and a while.

R

I don't have difficulty with the 1-2 but it may be because i use to race stock cars (old beat up cars around a dirt track FTW!) but I have noticed the engagement point IS high.... i just found out yesterday that my friend's gf's father decided to buy a speed3.... I haven't heard any complaints from him, so maybe the clutch is good to go.....however the speed3 hasn't been out as long as the 6, and since EVERYTHING from the engine and the transmission are supposed to be the same, there is a good chance in the future speed3 owners will be complaining to dealers and trying the little pedal readjust trick...

and yes anyone please keep us posted on how much you like/hate the new clutch, I could adapt to a new one easily as long as it feels smoother and doesn't have such a high point of engagement.... but I just want to make sure it's not a weak or mushy feeling clutch.

BuckDich said:
The first thing I noticed about the MS3 is how high the engagement point is. Is the clutch on the MS3 similar to the MS6? If so, maybe this should apply to both... I'm sure the AWD will make them differ a bit though.

I have both cars. The clutch on the MS3 is also high engagement, but it is nowhere near that of the MS6. The MS6 was originally going to be my wife's car, but she refused to drive it after she felt the clutch. However, when we traded in the MSP for the MS3, she was able to get in and drive the MS3 without any problems. After 6 months in the MS3, she can now drive the MS6 with little difficulty, but she still prefers the MS3.

R

So.......not to get off topic, which car is your daily and which is the wife's daily?

Koenig said:
and yes anyone please keep us posted on how much you like/hate the new clutch, I could adapt to a new one easily as long as it feels smoother and doesn't have such a high point of engagement.... but I just want to make sure it's not a weak or mushy feeling clutch.
I'd settle for ANY feel at all. I can't tell when the clutch engages at all. You definitely have to learn how this car works. if you're not idling at 1500 rpm or better at take off you're gonna kill it everytime. tried to talk to the manager today concerning my spd6. says he'll need the car to access parts. complete bull. gonna request a copy of their TSB tomorrow from the general manager.

Back