Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

It engages lower and a lot smoother than the old one, but it is still too high for me or maybe it is something wrong with me. You know, device between seat and steering wheel is defective :) Of course I will ask the dealer for readjustment. Is there any other adjustment to clutch pedal than described in "How-To"? When I press the pedal 1/8" or 1/6" I can hear rod hiting piston so it looks like there is no space for adjustment. I will check this on weekend. I will keep you posted.

No I'm only aware of the "how-to" adjustment and having the dealer readjust it....

that's funny reminds me of how we joke around in the IT department, when someone calls in to have us come to their office/cubicle and says something is wrong with their computer we call it a PIBCAK error......... Person In Between Chair And Keyboard.... (drinks)

Well got the car back, the dealer didn't go ahead with the TSB, The service advisor (Bill Vermylier) kept saying that is how these cars are, the clutch is very touchy blah blah blah, that is the way a performance clutch is, I kept saying I know it is touchy and I am here to make a complaint about it and I want it fixed, they have done nothing except give me the run around, which I knew they would.
They have however made a note on my "File" about the clutch and the fact that I had a Tech Service Bulletin helped a little, he could see it was official and supposedly has been in touch with Mazda North America and notified them of my complaint also, and said that if there is an issue further on down the road with regards to the clutch that it will be addressed.
I don't believe it for a minute, they're giving me the run around now what the hell there is nothing that makes me think they'll do anything about it in 6 months time or longer.
What a frickin waste of my time.
I won't buy a First generation car again, this one has had it's teething problems, Check engine light on at 2000 miles went back to dealer 3 times with same issue turns out that is was the Purge Solenoid,
they told me I over filled the tank,
The second time They said The gas cap wasn't screwed on properly, WHAT, that is BS.
Car has been in for the Advanced keyless system, a Sheared Bolt after they did the work for the Purge Solenoid, been in for the Loss of power fix and now it has been in for the Clutch but nothing has been done (dunno)
Anyone know where I can get a hold of the Workshop manuals, (for free) I'll do the frickin work myself, thats the only way I'll know the crap is done right.
I'm tired of playing these games with the stealerships.

I should have bought the Evo 9 MR, I had everything lined up for that Car, I even had the workshop manuals from the Evo 7 through to the 9.
damn it. But the wife (yeah this is her screen name) wanted a Mazda 3 and I wanted the Evo so I had to compromise, Damn it.
I'm done.

Well got the car back, the dealer didn't go ahead with the TSB, The service advisor (Bill Vermylier) kept saying that is how these cars are, the clutch is very touchy blah blah blah

Argh. What a nightmare. This is precisely why I stopped driving Volkswagens. My last Jetta, the dealer broke the lock while it was in for service. I got to my car and thought they gave me the wrong key. Nope. They broke the lock. The service manager gave me the runaround and said, and I quote, "you could've broken the lock at McDonalds and are just trying to get us to pay for it." That, combined with all the problems my VW had, I swore I would never step foot in that dealership again, and I figured I was done with VWs for a while. I've spent almost $90K in new cars since then, and none of them were VWs. :)

When will dealerships realize that there is a connection between the service desk and the sales desk? It looks like Mazda is paying for these clutch replacements, so what does it hurt Bill Vermylier to authorize it, or at least look into it for you instead of flatly denying he'll do it? The lock in my car cost $25 for the part, and $100 in labor. They couldn't cover $100 in labor to keep my business?

The day I find a dealership who bends over backward to make me happy (and I'm not a demanding customer, I just want things done right, and I want to be treated with a little respect), I will be a lifelong customer. The brand is secondary. I won't drive a Kia or Hyundai or Chrysler, but just about everything else is on the table. :)

Well, thats not as bad as my experience. When i picked up my car after my TSB was done, I drove it for about 10 miles before my check engine light and my AWD light came on. Then, the engine started smelling real hot and almost died at a stoplight. I checked my gauges and sure enough the coolant gage was on the needle. Turns out, the dealership forgot to refill the coolant. Had to have my car towed back to the dealership. Luckily for me (and the dealership), nothing was damaged on my car.

edit: Oh, this was after I had to wait a week for them to order more parts for my car because they busted the o2 sensor when they apparently ripped off my downpipe. I hate ford tauruses.

Well you should have gotten the evo, who drives it more? lol.........

As for the manuals, nothing free yet, they all are for sale online though........ unless someone works for mazda service and is willing to photocopy every page for us and save it as a .rar file to download and read with adobe reader (2thumbs)

One thing I can tell you is to get an OBD-II scanner with CAN ability on it to read your own CEL codes, so you can see if they are lying to you, like the one about not replacing the gas cap........ with these cars if the cap isn't on "tight enough" it can cause the CEL to appear.........it's the same with other cars.... and I top my car off, just to round it up to the nearest dollar....... purge solenoid being bad from over filling? doesn't make much sense with the autoshutoff on gas pumps these days.

Well got the car back, the dealer didn't go ahead with the TSB, The service advisor (Bill Vermylier) kept saying that is how these cars are, the clutch is very touchy blah blah blah, that is the way a performance clutch is, I kept saying I know it is touchy and I am here to make a complaint about it and I want it fixed, they have done nothing except give me the run around, which I knew they would.
They have however made a note on my "File" about the clutch and the fact that I had a Tech Service Bulletin helped a little, he could see it was official and supposedly has been in touch with Mazda North America and notified them of my complaint also, and said that if there is an issue further on down the road with regards to the clutch that it will be addressed.
I don't believe it for a minute, they're giving me the run around now what the hell there is nothing that makes me think they'll do anything about it in 6 months time or longer.
I won't buy a First generation car again, this one has had it's teething problems, Check engine light on at 2000 miles went back to dealer 3 times with same issue turns out that is was the Purge Solenoid,
The second time They said The gas cap wasn't screwed on properly, WHAT, that is BS.
Car has been in for the Advanced keyless system, a Sheared Bolt after they did the work for the Purge Solenoid, been in for the Loss of power fix and now it has been in for the Clutch but nothing has been done (dunno)
Anyone know where I can get a hold of the Workshop manuals, (for free) I'll do the frickin work myself, thats the only way I'll know the crap is done right.

I should have bought the Evo 9 MR, I had everything lined up for that Car, I even had the workshop manuals from the Evo 7 through to the 9.
damn it. But the wife (yeah this is her screen name) wanted a Mazda 3 and I wanted the Evo so I had to compromise, Damn it.
I'm done.

I'm done.

I was about to get all happy seeing a girl's screename and being able to work on a car herself...anyways...I kept telling myself I would never buy a first gen car after I bought my Camry in 98. Then I had an 02 IS300 (although that was 3 years in on that model, but it was the first year of manuals) and now I have an 06 Speed6. Maybe I like the abuse. When it's time to buy a car, I just do. I have no patience!

It sounds like you need to find a new dealer honestly. The purge solenoid was a known issue a while ago. It almost sounds as if they didn't run the diagnostics, because if they knew what it was, they would know it would come back, and that you would be back. Doesn't make much sense for them to keep booking appointments for warranty repairs, when they aren't going to make money off of them. Best to get it over and done with the first time.

I was about to get all happy seeing a girl's screename and being able to work on a car herself...anyways...I kept telling myself I would never buy a first gen car after I bought my Camry in 98. Then I had an 02 IS300 (although that was 3 years in on that model, but it was the first year of manuals) and now I have an 06 Speed6. Maybe I like the abuse. When it's time to buy a car, I just do. I have no patience!

It sounds like you need to find a new dealer honestly. The purge solenoid was a known issue a while ago. It almost sounds as if they didn't run the diagnostics, because if they knew what it was, they would know it would come back, and that you would be back. Doesn't make much sense for them to keep booking appointments for warranty repairs, when they aren't going to make money off of them. Best to get it over and done with the first time.

Because that's why they call a lot of dealerships "stealerships" because they don't really want to do the work, what REALLY sucks is that they provide no actual data for you... I want to see printed readouts of the diagnostics they perform, and don't give me bulls*** you can't do it Mazda, cause I know personally for a fact you can.

They book your appointment, take your car in, "look it over" without TRULY looking it over, and say blah blah blah, its your fault this is messed up.

Just like they try to offer people the full tune up thing when you get an oil change..... one of the "jobs" they perform is a lube job........."lube job" ? what exactly on our car entails it to be "lubed" ? We're not prepping it for teh buttseckz or anything.....:confused:

Because that's why they call a lot of dealerships "stealerships" because they don't really want to do the work, what REALLY sucks is that they provide no actual data for you... I want to see printed readouts of the diagnostics they perform, and don't give me bulls*** you can't do it Mazda, cause I know personally for a fact you can.

They book your appointment, take your car in, "look it over" without TRULY looking it over, and say blah blah blah, its your fault this is messed up.

Just like they try to offer people the full tune up thing when you get an oil change..... one of the "jobs" they perform is a lube job........."lube job" ? what exactly on our car entails it to be "lubed" ? We're not prepping it for teh buttseckz or anything.....:confused:

My favorite is the $25 for the air filter, plus $20 labor to install it.

I love this car - it is fun to drive and mature enough looking for my needs - however, I cannot stand the service department. I have a noticable engine noise that TWO local dealers cannot identify but will acknowledge it is there. One even told me that Mazda said my noise is normal - a result of the high-pressure fuel pump. No other MZR (on any model car) sounds like mine does.

Therfore, I am counting down the days until my lease (I am damn thankful I leased this car) is up and I can return this noisy dog to the dealership. This is my second Mazda - I still own my Miata - but it is soooo said that Mazda USA is going to lose my future business. I really do enjoy this car - I just cannot wait to get rid of it... :(

(bang)

M

I love this car - it is fun to drive and mature enough looking for my needs - however, I cannot stand the service department. I have a noticable engine noise that TWO local dealers cannot identify but will acknowledge it is there. One even told me that Mazda said my noise is normal - a result of the high-pressure fuel pump. No other MZR (on any model car) sounds like mine does.

Therfore, I am counting down the days until my lease (I am damn thankful I leased this car) is up and I can return this noisy dog to the dealership. This is my second Mazda - I still own my Miata - but it is soooo said that Mazda USA is going to lose my future business. I really do enjoy this car - I just cannot wait to get rid of it... :(

(bang)

M

Which dealers? Faulkner, Jack?

Which dealers? Faulkner, Jack?

Lancaster first - 2 trips to them actually - they are the ones that told me Mazda said it is the High-Pressure fuel pump. I took it to Jack for a second opinion. They were helpful and considerate, but indicated there was nothing wrong - they could not find anything causing damage. Both places we compared the car to other MZR - MS6, MS3, CX7.

So I am stuck - I paid for a car that makes a disturbing (but solely annoying) noise that apparently is causing no harm.

Again, (bang)

M

My favorite is the $25 for the air filter, plus $20 labor to install it.

$25? the OEM filter is supposed to be like $10 AT MOST holy butt anal rapeage batman....... what a ripoff...(bang)

$25? the OEM filter is supposed to be like $10 AT MOST holy butt anal rapeage batman....... what a ripoff...(bang)

I took my IS300 to Jiffy Lube or one of those places, maybe it was Menieke, because the oil filter is beyond a pain to remove, so I wanted to laugh at someone else trying to do it (Took him about 20 minutes to get it out. A little better than my 30.) for once. They asked me about my oil filter and went on a little tangent about how it takes away power, blah blah blah and that's the price they gave me. I laughed, said no thanks and drove across the street to Advanced Auto and picked one up for $16.

The same dude at Jiffy Lube also forgot to turn off the oil after refilling my car and didn't see it running because he had his back turned, meanwhile oil is going all over the floor, wall and computer behind him, and then all over him when he backed into it. It all missed my car, so all I did was laugh hysterically at him in the waiting room.

The same dude at Jiffy Lube also forgot to turn off the oil after refilling my car and didn't see it running because he had his back turned, meanwhile oil is going all over the floor, wall and computer behind him, and then all over him when he backed into it. It all missed my car, so all I did was laugh hysterically at him in the waiting room.

Which is exactly why I haven't been to Jiffy lube since I was 16.

Got mine done this week ...

... at Wray Mazda in Columbia, SC. No muss, no fuss, no questions asked "yes sir we'll take care of that for you Mr. Parks". (spin)

Thats what I like to hear.

Hell, they even cleaned 12K miles of brake dust off the wheels.

Now, lets drive it a while and see how good a job the did putting it back together! I believe this is the first one they had ever done.

Also had the BOSE MP3 capable head unit put in. Have to check that out as well.

I got my clutch done last week. It is much better, works softer, easier to shift, especially 1st - 2nd gear, however it still engages too high, IMHO. Maybe I just have to get used to it :) I think there is no "space" for adjustment, while pressing a pedal I can hear "click" pretty quick. I have never driven a car that had clutch working like this one. Will be observing :)

You can adjust, same as the method on this forum.
I just had my clutch done and it's night and day from the original (The guys who like to launch from 4500 rpm won't like it as much but it'll save their differentials). I adjusted mine in 2 full turns on the upper pedal stop and readjusted the clutch piston actuator. It engages nice and quick off the floor.

Why has this clutch issue string turned into a Jiffy lube review????

Last edited:
We had our clutch done here in Henerson, NV and like everyone has said, night and day difference. The clutch doesn't come is as fast as it would before, you have much more pedal control of how much clutch comes on. It's much nicer then the stock one which would just engage in such a short distance which can cause stalling issues.

Anyway, we like it (since it's the wifes car and I get to drive it on weekends) :)

... at Wray Mazda in Columbia, SC. No muss, no fuss, no questions asked "yes sir we'll take care of that for you Mr. Parks". (spin)

Thats what I like to hear.

Hell, they even cleaned 12K miles of brake dust off the wheels.

Now, lets drive it a while and see how good a job the did putting it back together! I believe this is the first one they had ever done.

Also had the BOSE MP3 capable head unit put in. Have to check that out as well.

How much did that run you?

Back