Protege5 Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

Yes, I learned from trial and error it is best to measure out the hardener first. Otherwise it doesn't mix properly and most of it gets on your brush instead of mixing in with the resin.

Are you going to re-locate the trunk light, or just go without?

Oh, nice install and great write-up BTW. Too bad the camera croaked in the middle. Maybe if you build more for NEPOC'ers you could fill in pictures of the missing steps from those jobs!

I'm thinking this might be a good option for my budget build with a 4 channel amp bridged to power comps up front and a single sub for musical fill in the rear.

I'll only have about 120W going to the rear, do you think with the right sub I can get this to work well? I don't know if I should go 10" or use an 8" to keep the install tidy and use more of the box's space. I use the rear a LOT. I'm always hauling something due to no truck, so keeping the sides flush is important. I'm installing the amp under the seat and running wires back for the sub.

What do you think about 8"? Waste of all that effort?

I do listen to hip hop but also reggae and rock, but listen to it for my ears, not the neighborhood. I do like nice bass in the music though.

I used a JL WO 10" with about 125 watts rms and it sounded just fine...

I just bought an 8" sub with 220 rms handling and my amp runs 225 bridged, so now I jsut need to get going on the install.

Thanks for this write up. I think I'm going to give it a shot in a month or so when I'm ready for a sub.

One thing I didn't see you add is a speaker terminal for the wires in the back. Did you add that, or just run the wiring directly through the fiberglass?

I just drilled a hole big enough to pull my speaker wires through then I used silicone to seal up any gaps.

Has anyone tried to take the black plastic panel out of the left side and make their box replace that panel thus giving you more depth and volume? It's just something I was thinking about but didn't know how practical it would be.

There isn't much extra space back there. The panel is pretty form-fitting aside from the top section over the strut. There certainly isn't any more depth.

+1...he did a great job!

Attachments

• my sub.jpg
    my sub.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 353
Thanks for the writ up it motivated me to build this for my Wife's car!!

Attachments

• 000_0199.JPG
    000_0199.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 000_0200.JPG
    000_0200.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 000_0198.JPG
    000_0198.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 187

Latest posts

Back