Factory Radio Upgrade Options (plus MP3 options)

Anyone know what happened to Sylfex's AuxMod Advanced? Or could point me in the direction of some similar product to connect a phone to my Speed6 via the headphone jack?

Anyone know what happened to Sylfex's AuxMod Advanced? Or could point me in the direction of some similar product to connect a phone to my Speed6 via the headphone jack?

The AuxMod is a hard one to find, and the advanced model hasn't been released. You can use the AuxMod basic and connect anything with a headphone jack to your radio.

Auxmod advanced is basically vaporware... Been announced for 3-4 yrs but thats it...

I almost didn't buy my Mazda6 because I had read about how difficult it is to integrate an iPod - and I LIVE by my iPod. Luckily, I discovered this little device and took a chance that it would work for me - and it did!

330_1lg.jpg

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ex-10/
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500EX101/Alpine-eX-10.html?tp=120

This Alpine eX-10 is a great alternative to the metra dash kits or aux-mods - I'll post pics of the install once I get it looking clean. For now I'm just enjoying my music. ;)

New member here and thanks for allowing my participation in this valuable forum.
I read Chuyler1 excellent post regarding bose upgrade options.
I am still a little unclear as to speaker wiring.
I plan on upgrading both the bose factory amps and upgrading all the speakers and leaving the HU In my 2005 6 gt wagon.
Will I have to run new speaker wire or can I tap/ use the existing .
Also is my thinking right by using a 4 channel amp for passenger comp. and a seperate 1 channel for sub ?
Or
Could I use just one 5 Channel .
Any thoughts on equipment choice ? I dont want loud just clean.
Will the old factory amp remain in place with its harness connected or will I just tap the harness and remove the factory amp .

Many thanks

I almost didn't buy my Mazda6 because I had read about how difficult it is to integrate an iPod - and I LIVE by my iPod. Luckily, I discovered this little device and took a chance that it would work for me - and it did!

330_1lg.jpg

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ex-10/
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500EX101/Alpine-eX-10.html?tp=120

This Alpine eX-10 is a great alternative to the metra dash kits or aux-mods - I'll post pics of the install once I get it looking clean. For now I'm just enjoying my music. ;)

Isn't this just a fancy FM transmitter?

I have the '03 Speed6 (i guess that's the nickname around here) and since right now the CD player also seems to not work, all I have is sucktastic stereo.
I have the factory Bose - and when I was looking into options - like simply installing an AUX line or ipod direct line into an extra module - seems like that is only an option for the '04 and up. (when you look at the products offered by Dice I believe).

I've to the point that I'm so frustrated at the expense just to play music that isn't censored in this car, especially when I got such a great deal on it!

I thought I could buy an aftermarket stereo to put in - but the head unit (the plastic that goes over the controls) was nearly 3 times as much as the unit and the install combined! I mean, really!

So at this point - I would be happy to know just how to get the CD player to work again, and I'll burn a few CD's until my brother, who is good at this kind of stuff, can try to run an AUX line for me.

I don't want satellite radio nor do I want an FM transmitter that will fade when the stations fade.

I appreciate the advice.
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I repaired my own washer recently - the clutch assembly - all by myself. woo hoo!

So if i have a pair of subs i want to hook up to the stock bose system all i would need to do is get an amplifier to power the subs and i would be set?

New member here and thanks for allowing my participation in this valuable forum.
I read Chuyler1 excellent post regarding bose upgrade options.
I am still a little unclear as to speaker wiring.
I plan on upgrading both the bose factory amps and upgrading all the speakers and leaving the HU In my 2005 6 gt wagon.
Will I have to run new speaker wire or can I tap/ use the existing .
Also is my thinking right by using a 4 channel amp for passenger comp. and a seperate 1 channel for sub ?
Or
Could I use just one 5 Channel .
Any thoughts on equipment choice ? I dont want loud just clean.
Will the old factory amp remain in place with its harness connected or will I just tap the harness and remove the factory amp .

Many thanks
A little late to reply but in case others have the same question I'll respond. Once you remove the 4 channel amp under the seat, there will be no signal to the subwoofer amp in the trunk. The best approach is to grab the stereo signal from the harness under the seat and run new wires for everything else. In theory, you could reuse the factory speaker wiring by running speaker wire back to the same harness under the seat. It might save you time but I've always upgraded the wiring when I increase the power. As for amp selection, you can use any number of amps. It all depends on preference and how much power you are looking for. Typical 5 channel amps don't have high powered subwoofer channels so they are usually only good for a single small sub. If you're looking for serious bass, you'll probably end up with two separate amps.

Isn't this just a fancy FM transmitter?
Yeah, that thing is just an FM transmitter which is why I didn't bother adding it to the original post. It does have an aux output though, so you could theoretically connect it to any one of the options listed...but why bother when you can just hook up the iPod directly and save yourself some dough.

So if i have a pair of subs i want to hook up to the stock bose system all i would need to do is get an amplifier to power the subs and i would be set?
You'll also need a wiring kit. Follow the instructions linked in the original post on how to run a power cable from the battery and connect the input signal from the factory subwoofer wiring harness.

Ok i knew about the wiring harness but i wasn't sure about the other parts. Thank you very much Chuyler1 for your help i really appreciate it. I'm interested to learn alot more from this very helpful and knowledgeable forum.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this will work?
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
My plan is to mount my new CD/mp3 player that I got in the glove compartment and just connect the speakers etc to that.
Do you know if I'll need anything else? I don't want to pay a fortune for the metra kit.

Great thread on the stereo upgrade options. Quick question, I'm installing the metra aftermarket dash in my wife's 2003 mazda 6. According to crutchield (several conversations now),you can tap into the factory line out wires to power the bose amp with the line level outs from the new HU. Crutchield insists that you can use the full voltage line level outs to the bose amp but that contradicts with the instructions that started this thread,which state iwould need to use rca's from the low level outs inthe new HU. Any "sound" advice? Does the factory HU have line level outs or a low level outs?

I know this is an old thread but I have a quick question. I have a 2007 M6s VE that has 6 speakers. Since I cannot seen any Bose badges my assumption is that it is NOT a Bose stereo.

My question is can I use standard 4ohm speakers ?

Also I see talk of a Hard Drive, is that only on the Bose or can we add that to any of them ?

I've got a 2007 MS6 with Bose audio without NAV. Looking for a way to add Bluetooth to the OEM head unit - all I want to do is connect my iPhone to the head unit via BT so I can play my music through the MS6's wonderful sound system without a bunch of wires hanging everywhere.

Anybody attempted this successfully? I've read previous posts on this thread, going back to Page 1, and while I see a Bluetooth option mentioned, I wasn't sure it would do the trick since it was a pretty old post. Any suggestions?

Back