want to install a new intake manifold, but.......

jamesk

:
mazda protege 2002
i want to install a new intake manifold, but when i pop the hood it seems difficult to get to and i do not know how to take it off. i tried searching for a how to on the intake manifold but there is only a how to on how to port it.

is taking the intake manifold and installing another one difficult? i installed headers on my car, is it going to be harder than that?

any advice for installing a new intake mani would help, a how to would be better. thanks guys.

Unless the manifold is broken I don't think you get any benefits from changing it. All I saw was some people removing the VTCS and boreing the manifold out with supposed "gains" but an equal amount of people saying there arent really gains. (crazy)

the real gain is when u go for an aftermarket one which really helps to eliminate the restrictive parts of the manifold and you can get some real power out of it... cat back is to CAI, as headers are to intake manifold... just think of it that way

EDIT: wut u actually get out of it in numbers depends on how bad the stock is, same as any other intake and exaust mods

PimpSmurf said:
the real gain is when u go for an aftermarket one which really helps to eliminate the restrictive parts of the manifold and you can get some real power out of it... cat back is to CAI, as headers are to intake manifold... just think of it that way

EDIT: wut u actually get out of it in numbers depends on how bad the stock is, same as any other intake and exaust mods

So you're saying I can get an extra 2hp from an intake mani just like I got from my exhaust & header? Sweet!

Seriously, when will people stop trying to make hp gains on this motor with bolt-ons... come on people, read the forums, it was slow when you bought it, and it'll still be slow after you blow all your cash on it. Either love it the way it is, put on a turbo, or buy a different car.

iv hered its not worth doing unless you got a turbo but if you change your mani you have to change the fuel injectors to bigger one cause it wont put out the right amount of fuel or just change the ECU thats what iv hered

thrasher said:
So you're saying I can get an extra 2hp from an intake mani just like I got from my exhaust & header? Sweet!

Seriously, when will people stop trying to make hp gains on this motor with bolt-ons... come on people, read the forums, it was slow when you bought it, and it'll still be slow after you blow all your cash on it. Either love it the way it is, put on a turbo, or buy a different car.

no crap, the car is not supposed to be the fastest car on the street, i feel all the stuff i put on my car is because i am an enthusiast, not a street racer. i dont regret puting things on my car that only gives me 2 hp, its pretty much a stupid expensive hobby.

if i wanted to buy a fast car for best bang for its buck, i would of bought a $2000 mustang and put another $2000.00 into it.

Sure, it is a slow car, but it is a lot more fun to drive and quicker after all the mods done to it. Plus, the throttle response of an naturally aspirated car with some good motor mounts... SEX. I'm afraid of losing that once my turbo is working :(

So anyways, do what you want. If you aren't afraid of some work, do the VTCS removal and maybe port and polish it. Get an extra manifold to work on, or buy a used one from here. Heck, I'd probably sell you mine and a new gasket with it if you really wanted...

How bout this angle....It's like lots of other stuff, you put nothing into it, you get nothing out of it. It's not the same show for everyone so no one opinion covers it all. My time, money, interests & wallet doesn't necessarily fit someone else's so whatever is worth it to you is what you should do. If you simply want transportation with no sentimental attachment then just drive it & trade it in when you get tired of it & leave it at that. If you like it, wanna personalize & keep longterm then go for what you want & to hell with what others think you should or shouldn't do with your car. They have theirs.

Im all about personalizing cars and making them yours. Im not about throwing time and money away on a worthless mod that you cant even show off to your friends let alone make any hp.

thrasher said:

Boo ******* hoo hoo.

anyway back the to topic, does anybody have pics of the intake without vtcs installed on the car. i was looking at my car and i notice all those hoses to vtcs. do i rip all that crap out?

jamesk said:
anyway back the to topic, does anybody have pics of the intake without vtcs installed on the car. i was looking at my car and i notice all those hoses to vtcs. do i rip all that crap out?

Yeah... you remove the hose going to the actuator and plug it at the solenoid, leaving that connected so you don't throw a CEL. You can remove the actuator as well. But basically it looks 99% the same since all that stuff is on the side of the manifold...

Back