DVD Entertainment options for the CX-7

Here is a 7 inch tablet DVD player with built-in FM transmitter mounted on the back of the console. The armrest opens, uninhibited. Total cost, $180 including the mounting bracket.

dvdoq7.jpg

Last edited:
HeavyH20 said:
Here is a 7 inch tablet DVD player with built-in FM transmitter mounted on the back of the console. The armrest opens, uninhibited. Total cost, $180 including the mounting bracket.

So how is that attached to the back of the DVD player. I looked at the Coby DVD players in the pictures and they don't look like they have any type of mounting screw or bracket. So did you make something, or what model is that?

There is a bracket piece that is attached to the DVD unit with industrial mounting tape. A lot of tablet players will actually have a screw mount on the bottom. The Coby did not.

bracketgh5.jpg

And, the mount has a screw that holds the bracket in place. So, it is removable, as well. We use it to watch movies while on trips outside of the car, as well.

mounthr5.jpg

Sweet! Very nice!

Now looking to the future, have y'all figured out what you'll do, if you sell your CX-7? Will you include the entertainment system or keep it?

Vince.

HeavyH20 said:
There is a bracket piece that is attached to the DVD unit with industrial mounting tape. A lot of tablet players will actually have a screw mount on the bottom. The Coby did not.

And, the mount has a screw that holds the bracket in place. So, it is removable, as well. We use it to watch movies while on trips outside of the car, as well.

I looked around but couldn't find any headrestended up getting this Venturer 7" DVD player from Walmart for around $100. It came with an additional screen. I'm currently only use the main DVD screen.

I looked around, but couldn't a more permanent mount that worked with portable table DVDs that is priced reasonably. Most of the tablet DVDs don't have standard mounting holes like the LCD monitors.

Anyway.. I sewed the velcro strap a little bit, so it is a little shorter. I did this because the strap is made to go around the headrest. I wanted it to go around the metal bars instead. I didn't need to make the strap shorter, but having it shorter made it easier to install (less strap to deal with).

I've attached a pic.

Attachments

• CIMG2370 (Small).JPG
    CIMG2370 (Small).JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 254
Ok.. So here is my latest incarnation of an add-on headrest DVD player. I returned the Walmart branded one pictured above.

I got an RCA DRC630N Tablet style unit from Bestbuy. It is a DVD player and has 30 (lame) games. It came with a velcro style headrest bracket that the DVD player clips into (and removes from) very easily. I wanted something a little more permanent.

So I got a ProClip Headrest bracket with a Thumbscrew mount. This unit:
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=107&pageid=9123

The RCA Main unit has a thumbscrew hole (the extra monitor does not). The screw was the correct size, but the RCA DVD was a little thicker then the monitor this was designed for. So I had to use a lighter, heat the bracket, and bend the bracket a little bit, so the hole for the mounting bracket and my monitor would fit.

I've attached a picture.

The DVD player was $135 after coupon (normally $149). The bracket was $70.

Attachments

• HeadrestDV.jpg
    HeadrestDV.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 261
just had a DVD drop down screen added to our CX 7 and from the 2nd row, they will get a good look at it. For my son who is positioned in the passenger side and its a good view for him too.
my gripe is that it totally blocks the rear view via rear view mirror from the drivers seat.
not good IMO and im like damn, now I want the screens in the head rests........BTW, this is a 10.2in screen so its pretty big.

ill get pics soon. maybe my wife will like it since it hers to drive.

Ok.. So here is my latest incarnation of an add-on headrest DVD player. I returned the Walmart branded one pictured above.

I got an RCA DRC630N Tablet style unit from Bestbuy. It is a DVD player and has 30 (lame) games. It came with a velcro style headrest bracket that the DVD player clips into (and removes from) very easily. I wanted something a little more permanent.

So I got a ProClip Headrest bracket with a Thumbscrew mount. This unit:
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=107&pageid=9123

The RCA Main unit has a thumbscrew hole (the extra monitor does not). The screw was the correct size, but the RCA DVD was a little thicker then the monitor this was designed for. So I had to use a lighter, heat the bracket, and bend the bracket a little bit, so the hole for the mounting bracket and my monitor would fit.

I've attached a picture.

The DVD player was $135 after coupon (normally $149). The bracket was $70.

I tried a similar approach using headrest bracket that comes with the Philips PET 1030 portable DVD system. Paid $215 & it includes everything. Fit perfectly. No custom modifications needed. Pics attached.

The dvd screen is mounted tight but not firm enough for it keeps shaking around slightly. Besides the 10.2" screen looks too big behind the headrest.

I am thinking of returning it back to Circuit City. Not sure...

Attachments

• Philips Headrest1.jpg
    Philips Headrest1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 454
  • Philips Headrest2.jpg
    Philips Headrest2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Philips Headrest3.jpg
    Philips Headrest3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 198
Headrest DVD resolved for $189 - Panasonic LS850

As per my earlier post, I did not like the way the Philips PET1030 mounted on the headrest. The constant shaking was driving me nuts. So I returned it and tried the Panasonic Portable DVD LS850
42715005.JPG

The install was perfectly snug. Absolutely no shaking and the 8.5" screen looks perfect size for the viewing distance. The image quality is pretty good too.

For those looking for a single (or double) headrest solution, this one works very well and absolutely no splicing wires or any kind of installation is required.

I purchased mine from Costco for $189. The only negative thing is that it did not come with a Remote...atleast the Costco's package didn't. Otherwise everything worked out pretty good!

Attachments

• PanasonicHeadrest1.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 244
  • PanasonicHeadrest2.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 245
  • PanasonicHeadrest3.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 216
  • PanasonicHeadrest4.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest4.jpg