How to: Clean your engine with seafoam!

jeg0024

Banned
:
2002 22V Protege DX
As requested...

1. Pull hose off brake booster(just to the left of the brake fluid resivor)

DSC03716.jpg

2. Start car, have someone stay in the car to revv it up incase it tires to die

3. Stick brake booster line into seafoam bottle and let it suck it up a bit at a time

4. After 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle is gone shut the car off and let sit for 5-10 mins, dont forget to re-connect the brake booster line. The rest of the seafoam can either be saved for another time or dumped into the fuel to help clean as well!

5. Start car back up, play with the throttle if it dont start right up, then let idle for a min or two

DSC03717.jpg

6. Take it for a short ride untill the exhause clears up, park it and disconnect the negitive battery terminal and pump the brakes for 30mins to clear the cel, or just touch the - to the + and be done with it

7. Reconnect the terminals and your good to go!

Any questions? Post HERE

You can also use seafoam in your oil, I have yet to try this though, so in reguards to that method refer to the above link, thanks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
i'm still not sure about the throttle body part. i dont know what blades they are talking about

"15. Spray Sea Foam Deep Creep into throttle body, fully soaking the blades, the bottom, top, and up and down into the intake manifold behind the throttle body. Use a good amount."

amsgator said:
i'm still not sure about the throttle body part. i dont know what blades they are talking about

"15. Spray Sea Foam Deep Creep into throttle body, fully soaking the blades, the bottom, top, and up and down into the intake manifold behind the throttle body. Use a good amount."

Probably just the butterfly thing in the throttle body, none of that stuff is car specific anyways. I didnt feel like taking off my intake piping tho, its so much easier to use the brake booster line.

Note to people: seafoam and seafoam "deep creep" are different products. One is a spray kinda like PB Blaster, while the other is just a liquid in a can that you suck or pour into various parts of your car to do a sort of steam cleaning of the head. I have used seafoam in my gas and oil, just make sure you wait until you have like 1/8th of a tank left, then put some in both, then drive for a while (20 miles or so, as close to empty as you feel comfortable doing) and then change ze oil.

I only did it in the oil and gas once though.. it's a petroleum-based thing so I doubt it'll really ruin anything.. people have been using it for many, many years.

Kansei said:
Note to people: seafoam and seafoam "deep creep" are different products. One is a spray kinda like PB Blaster, while the other is just a liquid in a can that you suck or pour into various parts of your car to do a sort of steam cleaning of the head. I have used seafoam in my gas and oil, just make sure you wait until you have like 1/8th of a tank left, then put some in both, then drive for a while (20 miles or so, as close to empty as you feel comfortable doing) and then change ze oil.

I only did it in the oil and gas once though.. it's a petroleum-based thing so I doubt it'll really ruin anything.. people have been using it for many, many years.

did u have to change ur oil twice? someone told me the first new oil u put it in will turn black immediately from everything the seafoam got off that the old oil left behind. so u then need to change that oil for new fresh oil and ur good to go. ?

no need to change oil if i am just running it in the brake booster and gas correct?

I don't remember where I am "supposed" to suck it in via now that I'm turbo. I guess the brake booster line should still have vacuum. Well I'm probably gonna do this in a couple mins so I'll let you guys know.

someone said you shouldnt do it if you are turbo. then someone else said you should be fine as long as you don't go into boost while sucking it up and letting it clean. i'm not sure.....

Ok, i did this to my Protege and my 92 Suzuki Sidekick.

The suzuki made a lot of smoke! But the protege didn't (dunno), just a bit, maybe it wasn't that dirty. I put some on in the crank and in the fuel too, in the suzuki. I put most of the sea foam in the crank and booster line for the protege. I bought two cans. Maybe i'll buy a fuel infection cleaner.

I changed the oil on both cars. Drove both for a while before changing the oil. I read at the link provided before that you drive the car 500 (?) miles or so, before changing the oil.

I think I noticed that the suzuki runs better. But since i don't drive it (my wife) i'll have to ask her later in the week if she notices something (if she does, because women notice anything in cars...).

For my car, well i notice the engine bay is quieter. But my car didn't have idle problems.

What i do notice is that there is a noise everytime i turn the A/C on, i can't tell if it's the compressor, the A/C pulley belt (and i changed it recently and i already see wear on it) or a exahust leak. I notice it more when the A/C is on.

I give this procedure 8 out of 10. (good, recommended).

Well, I did this just before my oil change yesterday...all went well.

Put the seafoam into the crankcase and the fuel tank before going in for my oil change. Did the oil change (oil was pretty black), and then poored the remaining third, gently, into the brake booster line. Throttle was kept at a ~steady 2000rpm since the idle was getting pretty rough, and the CEL eventually started flashing (got rid of it with the reset ECU). Didn't get any smoke that I could see (was kinda dark last night) which is probably a sign that the engine was pretty clean (not surprized though).
The idle was a little rough for a while, almost wanting to stall, but after a few very high RPM runs (near redline), it finally settled. --> you'll notice after a couple of runs that the idle goes low, then settles at regular RPM...a couple more high RPM runs and she's clear to go.

I haven't noticed too much of a difference, but considering how black the oil was, and the fact that I did get rough idle after the intake cleaning (maybe because the seafoam had dislodged some carbon deposits?), I'm sure it didn't hurt at all either :)

amsgator said:
did u have to change ur oil twice? someone told me the first new oil u put it in will turn black immediately from everything the seafoam got off that the old oil left behind. so u then need to change that oil for new fresh oil and ur good to go. ?

anyone confirmed this? i also put my seafoam through the vacuum lime that connects to the cruise control...which line is it being run through in the 1st picture?

Its the big hose right in the middle of the pic that goes into the master cylnder with the butterfly clamp on it.

just under the 3 hoses at the top? so do you just follow the hose to where it ends and pull it out. i take mine off the cruise control. is it a different line? sorry for the small picture, it's all i had

Attachments

• Brake Booster.jpg
    Brake Booster.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 911
Remove the hose under those 3 small lines where the clamp is and just stick it in the bottle. I dont have cruise control but im sure as long as its a vacume line attached to the IM its fine.

yea it's to the IM and it comes out like the pic. i just didnt see where that line came off. i might not even have that b/c as far as i know what i use the the brake booster. i can check though

Back