435 miles on a tank

Skylab

:
Mazda 5
Title says it all.

Filled up with 15.1 gallons.

That's about 28.8mpg

Mostly freeway driving, lots of coasting whenever possible.

Attachments

• SSPX0196.jpg
    SSPX0196.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 382
  • SSPX0197.jpg
    SSPX0197.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 348
heh, this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes the Saab out for a test drive.

What kind of pace were you moving at, and I assume it was mostly flat terrain? It's my goal to get to 100mi before the 3/4 mark and if I hit that, then I go for 200 @ the 1/2 mark... with mixed driving that is. Zoom-Zoom makes that hard for me sometimes, though (burnout)

I see 65 mph with cruise control on in that picture.

We tend to fill up well before we get under 1/4 tank, so we won't set any records for most miles on a tank. But the conditions where we got over 33 mpg: 50 mph for about 200 miles, mostly fifth gear on the Natchez Trace Parkway, where the speed limit is usually 50.

doctorz said:
I see 65 mph with cruise control on in that picture.

We tend to fill up well before we get under 1/4 tank, so we won't set any records for most miles on a tank. But the conditions where we got over 33 mpg: 50 mph for about 200 miles, mostly fifth gear on the Natchez Trace Parkway, where the speed limit is usually 50.
I have the auto so I don't have the luxury of the extra gear. But I usually cruise at 2500-2750 rpm and that works out on average to about 60(+/-2)mph. Don't use the cruise control as it tends to not take advantage of momentum when going up or down hills.

Best recorded mpg was near 32mpg, but I discount that as it was early into ownership, and I never had any true indication as to how much fuel the tank could take (until recently); but I have gotten above 30 with some regularity.

12,497mi - 433.111gal - 28.85mpg

Last edited:
435MILES???
I usually get 400+KM before I refill at about 3/4 tank....How did you do that?

jandree22 said:
heh, this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes the Saab out for a test drive.
LOL! I remember that episode. They kept on skipping the exits.

antlind said:
435MILES???
I usually get 400+KM before I refill at about 3/4 tank....How did you do that?

I get about 400+KM too at just about the 3/4 tank... I'm with you...How does he do that?

antlind said:
Must be something with our Canadian gas eh?;)

well it does say he's from southern california... so I'm hoping when we hit the summer months we get better gas consumption...

I always wondered what sucks up more gas downshifting to get higher RPMS with less throttle or upshifting to get lower RPMs with more throttle? When I say lower RPMs, Im not suggesting dropping down to 1.5k rpm and mashing the throttle. ;)

da1nonly said:
I get about 400+KM too at just about the 3/4 tank... I'm with you...How does he do that?

Mine is pretty new (2000km), so I guess it will do better, but I'm getting between 13 and 14 liters/100km so far (city)... The best I got was 11l/100km (only highway).

cron said:
Mine is pretty new (2000km), so I guess it will do better, but I'm getting between 13 and 14 liters/100km so far (city)... The best I got was 11l/100km (only highway).

The worst I had so far was 11.82L/100KM... The best was 9.3L/100KM...

I seem to average about 9.5L/100KM...

This is with mixed driving 50/50 hwy/city (between 110-115km/h), during the winter season ...

I'm at 5000KMs ... and I'm hoping this gets better but it seems to be about the average

Impressive :D

So, the recipe is:

a) you switch the engine off when the red traffic light lasts more than 3 minutes
b) You never carry other human beings nor groceries. Also, trips to the hardware store are banned
c) The engine is switched off and car is rolling on inertia when going downhill
d) You don't step on the gas unless is absolutely necessary (i.e. to fire it up in the morning or to get it moving out of a parking lot)
e) It is a diesel one and you live in Holland (flat land)

No, no, good job, seriously. I guess my best record was around 380 miles once (purely highway, 65mph). It is hilly around here so I keep my expectations low (drive)

Last edited:
Here's the best mileage I have got......I drove 494km all hwy (avg spd 120km/hr) and took 44 litres to fill the tank yesterday. That translates to 27mpg.
Anthony

Back