shakes when braking?!

Andrewsmc

:
Sunlight Silver Msp
my car shakes when braking and the steering wheel moves all around, I know its either alignment or warped brake disc. Any way to tell if its the disc? there not visibly warped .. So im guessing im narrowing it down.. Any other ideas? EAO

does the car make any other vibrations/noise when steering/accelerating (not while braking)

if not it is warped rotors. You can not usually tell if a rotor is warped simply by visual inspection. its generally only off by millimeters @ best and you wont be able to see it.

2 choice - get your rotors turned OR buy new rotors (maybe its time for an upgrade :p)

Andrewsmc said:
hmmmm... Can you point out some nice rotors?? Drilled or slotted or both? let me know

generally speaking drilled/slotted rotors have NO performance gain (and actually lose some braking power) on a vehicle of this caliber. I would say get a nice set of brembo blanks/OEM or do the slotted rotors from rotora. @ best the slotted will only help SLIGHTLY with fading...

are the rotoras a direct fit or order by specific car? and any way to get the old ones off, There prolly stuck on pretty good..

i say they are warped. high speed braking (like on a highway) can really make this apparent.

check the vendors protegegarage or ************* for brake stuff. i agree with B1GHAM, slotted or drilled rotors are not really required. i run Centric blank rotors and they are fine. if you want to stop a bit better, get more aggressive brake pads.

your rotors are a direct fit if you order the ones that are specific to the MSP. Actually, these rotors are the same as the Mazda 626. Do some searching on this forum and you will find more info.

I have the same issue with my car, like everybody says, your rotors are warped. I'm looking for some cheap OEM replacements myself.

if you brake hard the stock ones will warp. if you have to brake hard, ease off on the brake after almost coming to a complete stop. this will release the pressure and stress from the position on the rotor where the pads initially grabbed. this will allow the rotor to cool and will help keep the rotor from warping.

took my car to an auto shop to get the front rotors machined yesterday, they were pretty warped, now the braking is smooth, no more vibrations.

Sounds like a need to follow suit and get some new rotors :( Is it necessary to replace the pads at the same time?

You can use a metric bolt that fits in the hole on the disc to press the disc off of the hub. A few rotations with a wrench or socket and its off. No need for a hammer IMO.

baconbitz said:
Sounds like a need to follow suit and get some new rotors :( Is it necessary to replace the pads at the same time?

I've heard yes, but I don't see how it would be bad. Hopefully someone with more expertise will inform us.

baconbitz said:

its just a good idea to get new pads when you are replacing the rotors or new rotors or resurface the rotors if you get new pads as a precaution to help prevent uneven wear of the brakes and rotors.

Yes always best to resurface the rotors when replacing the brake pads, if you have lines in the rotors and install new pads it will wear into the new pad that way quickly wearing the pad and the rotors. I sand down the pads smooth every time I check them, just rub them on the floor if I'm at home.

orng1 said:
Yes always best to resurface the rotors when replacing the brake pads, if you have lines in the rotors and install new pads it will wear into the new pad that way quickly wearing the pad and the rotors. I sand down the pads smooth every time I check them, just rub them on the floor if I'm at home.

exactly. If you are replacing/resurfacing one, its good to replace/resurface the other.

when you have warped rotors it wears the pads down unevenly causing uneven pressure onto the rotors and the rotors will warp quicker. If you replace your pads without resurfacing or replacing the rotors, it will chew up the pads quicker.

Back