What have you done to your Miata today?

For more than 10 years, I've wanted flares on a Miata of my own.

I... I'm-a need a minute to myself.

20150722_162414.jpg

Damn...they look great Maff!!! Mind if I steal this pic and take a minute for myself?

Made some chips. Made some sparks. Adding weight to a race car just feels wrong. Adding it to a place that helps the balance of the car takes some of the sting away.

Of course, I made far prettier welds on the side that's facing the transmission tunnel than facing out.

20150726_170248.jpg

The basic setup, checking clearance w/ the seat mount supports. The 2 bolts are suspending what amounts to the lower "sandwich plate", a 1/4", 12" x 12" plate that will bookend two 5/8", 12" x 12" lead plates.

20150726_171859.jpg

The lead accounts for exactly 75 lb, then the steel plates, seat rails, hardware and welds add another 27 and some change.

20150726_170540.jpg

In (attempting) cleaning the welder's MIG nozzle between welding sessions on the ballast mount, the nozzle completely boogered up the torch, so, I had to order a replacement.

20150726_171200.jpg

The new gun won't be here until I'm back from travel at the end of next week, so I got it disassembled as far as I could in the mean time.

20150727_131140.jpg

So to fill the time, I started painting the ballast plates. I won't be able to paint the base until I finish up the welding on it. Pretty annoying, but alas.

20150728_195756.jpg

I've gotta say, my welding looks LOADS better after slapping a couple coats of paint over it (rlaugh)

Disabling the slider rails pretty permanently:
20150731_102818.jpg

The base that everything hangs from / mounts to:
20150730_153531.jpg

The full ballast assembly bolted together:
20150731_140741.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you don't change size Andrew.

You and me both! But this should be a fairly long-term change. What I hope is that they don't change the weight for some reason. Unlikely to happen, as it's been pretty consistent, but you never know.

Ordered the "project g" vent window vents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE! i ordered the Miata Roadster vent windows as the vent sits higher up and i felt they would be better for directing air towards me. not looking forward to the install though

It will be my winta project!

haha, i planned on doing the same, figure if its cold the nasty black tar substance wont be as messy as it would now with 90 degree temps

oh and to keep on topic, i installed a new Radiator in the msm on saturday, the oem one took a dump and started leaking. just replaced it with another oem rad and evenutally will upgrade but i want to drive it this summer so i wasnt going to let it sit while i saved for the cooling setup id love to eventually have on the car (cross flow rad, upgraded fans, coolant bypass, Singular NC hood vents and all the other little odds and ends for it)

Last edited:
haha, i planned on doing the same, figure if its cold the nasty black tar substance wont be as messy as it would now with 90 degree temps

oh and to keep on topic, i installed a new Radiator in the msm on saturday, the oem one took a dump and started leaking. just replaced it with another oem rad and evenutally will upgrade but i want to drive it this summer so i wasnt going to let it sit while i saved for the cooling setup id love to eventually have on the car (cross flow rad, upgraded fans, coolant bypass, Singular NC hood vents and all the other little odds and ends for it)
+1

Back