What have you done to your Miata today?

OH! Well, you didn't exactly specify. Given that, again, I've had some trouble with 24x7 & my Picasa albums here recently, it wasn't exactly a stretch for me to make that error. Thanks :)

C'mon Mark, you know me. I start posting a picture now and I'll be responsible for a lot of people ending up in the emergency room! (rofl2) Besides, I'm at work (so you know the rest). Don't worry, once I get my pretty instrument cluster all done I'll post something.

While I have you here, did you get any sort of tracking for your seatbelt extenders? I'm going on two weeks since I ordered mine and nothing yet.

Haha! I couldn't resist!!! Really do want to see it though, nope nothing on the extenders yet ��

(rlaugh) Mike.....post pics? That's a good one! Have a safe voyage!

It took a while for me to get shipping info as well. Ordered mine on 10/6 and got them on 11/13 to give you an example. Can't hurt to reach out to him but I believe he only ships once a week or so? I think I've got to remove the existing two OEM spacers on each side. They sit a bit high and the belts don't retract. Instructions said to remove the middle spacer and insert the new one but on my set up I had a cylinder and three additional spacers so I just removed the middle one?

Got the new door handle in late last week but haven't had the time to pull the panel. Did invest $10 in a panel removal tool though.

Got the first couple coats on the majority of the cage. Touch up on the red-bits will be later tonight. Then probably Friday I'll mask off all the bits I want to remain red (that'll be fun...) and paint the dash & front hoop / firewall supports. Next week, the floor / tub.

20141125_172904.jpg

I'm still waiting for my vision to return to normal. Even with a respirator, painting is f**king awful.

Hey Maff, how's that John Deere green look with red overspray?

Here's a picture to keep you all at bay:

15855531585_748f3674c4.jpg

Is it a Miata? No, but considering working on these helps me keep her in style it's Miata related. Yes, it's a new ship.

Hey Maff, how's that John Deere green look with red overspray?

Practically untouched. Wasn't spraying close enough to it to do more than dust it, and that stuff wipes right off.

Here's tonight's progress. Tonight's goal was to get the front of the cage, the front bits of the tunnel, and the driver's side floorboard done.

20141126_163252.jpg

Awful picture, but you can see how much of the red on the floor is just dust that basically wipes right up. A little mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol and voila, paintable surface.

20141126_202800.jpg

End result of part one. Now the rest of the 'bathtub' is going to get the clean with mineral spirits > booze > paint Machine Gray treatment in about a week or so, but I got the important bits (ie: the cage and all the mounting poings) done to prevent rust.

20141126_210457.jpg

Oh my!!! Those wheels look awesome Muff! Can't wait to see the floor painted and a full pic of the finished product!

It's Monday here in Japan but it might as well be Friday because these juicy Miata updates are awesome! [emoji106]

I'm looking forward to see the progress and I've shared the following pic via Mazdas247 on Instagram...
20141126_210457.jpg

And then I got to feeling spry and started pulling the suspension to start test fitting the new wheel / tire package.

10460121_10100124950360714_3431180710839728427_n.jpg

10802046_10100124950390654_2104535410019182588_n.jpg

(omg) I try to speak but the words just won't come out....she's looking great Maff!

You'd find words seeing it tonight. There's lots of work going on tearing down and refurbishing various bits & pieces that need some TLC while she's in a state of "screw it, while it's down, let's fix THIS too", so it looks better some days than others. Currently, the entire rear suspension (control arms and all) is off the car to measure & replace some bent control arms.

yeah... that happens. Bumpy lots + big grip = something's gotta give.

Love the new wheels.

Finally got my hands on a Beatrush rear diff brace. I would post a picture, except the guy already took the ad down from the site I got it from. It's your normal goldish colored diff brace.

Deech approves! (that'll make sense to a couple of you ;) ). He also made me dust it off. It looks even better w/ the doors on :D
20141202_210524.jpg

Speaking of the doors, I notched the driver's side to clear the door-bar. Probably notched it "too much", but is that really a concept for this car? Doors are "open" per the rules, so long as they look stock-ish and are removable, and not welded on.

20141202_210202.jpg

20141202_210038.jpg

After all that, the doors came back off because they'll be painted the same gray on the inside, and either painted or vinyl wrapped black on the outside. We also went ahead and stripped all of the vinyl and latches / pulls to start the prep work. So, they were only on for about 15 minutes to make sure they cleared the bars.

Last edited:
Back