Help changing headlamp bulb (Bulb seating wire!!?!?)

Mark115

Im just trying to get a new low beam blub in. The service manual says "release the bulb seating wire".

I see this wire, however Ive pushed on the little tab, I've pulled the little tab, I've twisted and turned it and im afraid im going to bend it out of shape and never be able to get my blub back in again!

How does one do this correctly?

Also its almost impossible to get my hand in there because the damn windsheild washer fluid bottle and transmission fluid bottle are in the way! And the windsheild bottle can not be unbolted it seems.

it works like the pin on a button. push it in towards the headlight and then out away from the bulb. you will also need to pry the plastic adapter off the old bulb and put it on the new one or it wont sit properly when you put it back in

Owner's manual FTW I wish I would have looked at it before I broke it hehe...

**edit** oh crap you looked at it already? Wasn't there an illustration?

**edit again** aahhhh I see your looking at the FS manual. Look in your owner's manual theres a better description.

Last edited:
where are you from Mark? If you are close to dayton/cincinnati I will drop by and show you how its done... or simply drop by the dealer service are with new bulb in the box and ask them to swap it for you since it is such a pain in the butt.

I feel yer pain...

I have done it quite a few times now (silverstars[tm] FTW!) and it is still difficult! I have to keep the neighborhood kids away so they don't hear me (i sound Ned Flanders 'Dangdoodlynabgabdonit!' ;) )

P-Funk! said:
I feel yer pain...

I have done it quite a few times now (silverstars[tm] FTW!) and it is still difficult! I have to keep the neighborhood kids away so they don't hear me (i sound Ned Flanders 'Dangdoodlynabgabdonit!' ;) )

Lol, Ned Flanders. My wife compares me to the dad in A Christmas Story when he is trying to fix the furnace.(argh)

Yeah, that right side low beam bulb is nasty. Plus, the PO of this car broke the seating wire on that side, so I have to be extra careful with mine to make sure the bulb is seated properly.

i had that experience too, i accidently took out the wire out and dropped it inthe hole there, later found out that it was simply a push and twist technique to get the wire outta the way ..oh well.. :p

funny, its sposta be comin sense, mazda probably thought "oh well just make it like a safety pin, nice and simple" NO, WRONNNGGGGG D-------- I bet it was ford who decided this. FORD(gun) HOwever the HI-beams are a dream to change, just a flick of the wrist! <<< i blame mazda for that (second)

5PADZAM said:
Lol, Ned Flanders. My wife compares me to the dad in A Christmas Story when he is trying to fix the furnace.(argh)

Yeah, that right side low beam bulb is nasty. Plus, the PO of this car broke the seating wire on that side, so I have to be extra careful with mine to make sure the bulb is seated properly.

Maybe our cars had the same PO!! But I got an added special bonus, not only is the seating wire (clip) missing but even if I found a replacement the area on the headlight where it is attached is broke. Ghetto paper clip FTL! I just swapped out my PS bulb this weekend and had to remove the bumper and the headlight to ensure it was tight.

kableguy said:
HOwever the HI-beams are a dream to change, just a flick of the wrist! <<< i blame mazda for that (second)

I would like to know who designed this setup....why can't our lo-beams be a flick of the wrist as well?

Back