Mazda CX-9 reliability - how will it compare?

2500 miles, 4 months, only problem is with rattles in the drivers door and center speaker grill in the dash buzzing. And 14 MPG...

Still don't know how so many are getting lousy mileage. I had to try hard in order to get ours down to 17mpg. All short stop and go trips for a tank, with one long trip climbing 4000 feet. Still normally 20 to 22mpg

Still don't know how so many are getting lousy mileage. I had to try hard in order to get ours down to 17mpg. All short stop and go trips for a tank, with one long trip climbing 4000 feet. Still normally 20 to 22mpg

15.2 this week, down from last week's stellar 16.7...

How are you measuring MPG? Seems quite good for a CX-9 in stop-and-go driving.

With the reliability survey, in about a month we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. More participants needed, especially for the 2009.

Any 2009s here?

Car reliability research

One man's "stop and go" could be very different from another one's.
City driving is very hard to compare apple-to-apple unless you live in the same neighborhood.

The ConsumerReports indicates CX9's major problem areas
- body hardware
- paint and trim
Overall, it looks good, comparable to most Honda/Toyota.
I owned mine for 1yr 3 months. Only problem was with the rear doors' glass mechanism (stuck while rolling down). It turned out to be some styrofoam pieces in the door went loose and blocked the glasses from going down. Easy fix at dealership.
Other than that, fixed 3 TSBs as preventive care.

going strong. Just the door stop TSB we were sent, 2 minor lube issues, and a broken gas cap tether.

Speaking of gas caps. How the heck do you secure your cap when filling to prevent it from smacking against the side of the vehicle? I just usually jam it between the metal locking tab on the lid.

Actually, when gas hit $4, we bought a locking cap. So to hold it while fueling I bought a Honda cap holder . I cut the tabs off of the back and mounted it to the inside of the door with automotive trim tape. It should work with the factory cap, also.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvext01.html

Attachments

• Gas Cap.JPG
    Gas Cap.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Speaking of gas caps. How the heck do you secure your cap when filling to prevent it from smacking against the side of the vehicle? I just usually jam it between the metal locking tab on the lid.

There's a hook on the inside of the filler door, lower right. I place the cap tether in it, and it keeps the cap out of the way.

There's a hook on the inside of the filler door, lower right. I place the cap tether in it, and it keeps the cap out of the way.

Where is that hook? Before I changed I put the base of the cap against the door and slid the caps groove onto the tab that acts as the strike plate.

Attachments

• Old Gas Cap.JPG
    Old Gas Cap.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 299
Where is that hook? Before I changed I put the base of the cap against the door and slid the caps groove onto the tab that acts as the strike plate.

The inside of your filler door is different than mine.

I was going to take a third photo to show you the tether hung over the hook, and the tether broke when I slightly pulled on it! (pissed)

I wonder if they'll replace it under warranty when I take it in for the seat recall repair? Got my notice today.

Attachments

• DSCF1246.JPG
    DSCF1246.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF1247.JPG
    DSCF1247.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 325
I just sent this email to the service manager at my Mazda dealership.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil,

I had another unsatisfactory service visit today, so decided I would send you an email to express my dissatisfaction. I would have preferred to call you on Monday, but I will be out of town on business starting tomorrow until next Friday evening.

I scheduled a service visit over 2 weeks ago for airbag light recall, power seat recall, and broken gas cap tether. I made it clear to the scheduler that I was giving them 2+ weeks to ensure the parts were available when I dropped the vehicle off. I dropped the CX-9 off this morning (4 April), and when I picked it up only the seat recall was complete--parts had to be ordered for the airbag recall and gas cap tether. This will require me to return and drop the vehicle off again. I was given some sort of excuse for the airbag recall part; however, there was no excuse for the gas cap tether. I did tell the scheduler that the tether was broken, and I would need a new one installed. It also said this on the invoice I signed when dropping the vehicle off.

It would not be so bad if this were the first service department issue I've had. Unfortunately, it's not.

When I first purchased the vehicle I noted a few paint issues. The service rep scheduled me for a Thursday morning drop off, since that's apparently the day the paint guy came in. I also scheduled a bug deflector and HomeLink mirror install for the same visit. I dropped the vehicle off Wednesday afternoon, and received a call Thursday that the mirror needed another part, which had to be ordered. I received a call the following Tuesday that the vehicle was ready. When I picked it up, I noted that the paint had not been touched, and I had to bring it back in again. The vehicle was at your location for 6 days, and they failed to fix the paint, even though I reminded them during the Thursday phone conversation.

In Apr 08 I took it in for grinding brakes. I was told there was a TSB, and that new pads would have to be ordered. I called several times, and the pads were not in. Several months later I called, and was told there was no record of the pads being ordered. It was not until Dec, 8 months later, that I received the new pads.

I just wanted to make you aware of these concerns. My wife and I have purchased/leased 21 new vehicles since 1987. This is our first Mazda, and though I love the vehicle, service and reliability is questionable.

Thanks,

Steve XXXXX
XXX-XXXX

Unfortunately, most businesses these days think they can afford to lose customers, because a new one will walk in right after you. The problem is, they are right, and have no initiative to keep us. Not like the old days when the important thing was not waiting for the next customer to walk in, but making sure every customer was satisfied for the sake of treating them properly.

I had a minor problem at Costco that could have been easily resolved, yet everyone I dealt with seemed all too eager to refund our membership and get rid of us. Well, that worked, and we've gone to Sam's Club ever since. Dumb.

I'll post my letter to a Mazda dealership, if anyone is interested, particularly in Arizona. And I'm not afraid to name them.

even with these minor little glitches with the CX9, Im totally pleased with the car. Other than the poor tire choice, of course. If you look at the TSB list for other vehicles, you will appreciate how much better the Mazda is. Our slow clock, broken gas cap tether, airbag warning light, or clicking noise never once stranded us on the side of the road. (Look at the Tribute list, which is a Ford Escape. Engine quits, wont stay running at idle, won't start, plus a longer list of other problems.)

Last edited:
I received a reply to my email in Post #64 today:

Hello Mr. XXXXXX,

I'd be happy to talk with you about these failures on our part to meet your expectations, when you return to town. Let me know if you'd like to visit about these issues.

Otherwise, you can rest assured that this type of service does not meet my expectations as a manager, either. We have initiated processes that should help us avoid such mistakes as these.

The bottom line here, is that we sincerely care about our customers. We will be glad to pick up your CX-9 to complete the work needed, and save your time bringing it back and forth to us. We have another appointment scheduled for you on the 18th. Once we confirm the receipt of the (correct) parts, Charles XXXXX will contact you to make arrangements to bring a vehicle to you to drive for the day and bring the Mazda to the shop.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to me about this. Please accept my apology for it being necessary to do so.

Sincerely,
Phillip XXXXXX

XXXXX Mazda

They all say they ae sorry, but the lousy service continues. They all would rather have to beg you to come back, than keep you there with good service.

Unfortunately, most businesses these days think they can afford to lose customers, because a new one will walk in right after you. The problem is, they are right, and have no initiative to keep us. Not like the old days when the important thing was not waiting for the next customer to walk in, but making sure every customer was satisfied for the sake of treating them properly.

I had a minor problem at Costco that could have been easily resolved, yet everyone I dealt with seemed all too eager to refund our membership and get rid of us. Well, that worked, and we've gone to Sam's Club ever since. Dumb.

Yes, all too common. I've personally found CostCo less and less satisfying lately.

Back