Transmission Fluid

I have 2001 Mazda Protege Es and I need to change the transmission fluid, but I am not sure what grade of fluid do I need and how many Bottles of transmission fluid do I need to buy to fill the transmission back up.

3 quarts of :
-GM Synchromesh

OR

-Redline MT90 (75W90)

I've been running the GM Synchromesh ever since I rebuilt my transmission with the Quaife LSD...
and I love it.
But there's still a ton of people here on the forum that swear by the redline stuff.

best thing to do is just take it to a dealer. they know whats best for your car! i got my tanny fluid changed from a dealer a while ago, it might be expensive but i trust them to do the job right.

Tzar177 said:
if u have an auto, i think ur gonna need 12-13 quarts of fluid
the auto tranny only holds 7, but if you're flushing it then you really need 10 or so, just to flush all the dirty fluid out completly.

there's a how-to on it, and it's pretty simple acutally.

if your car has 100K or more on it and it's never had a flush, I'd reccomend a filter change too ($32 @ autozone).

anyway, you need Mercon V fluid, the best stuff is mobile-1 Mercon V ATF, which I use and I put it @ 70K, it's possibly the best performance enhancing thing I've done to my car, even better than the $1000 in bolt-ons. It's about $6.50 per quart, so if you want to use something cheaper just remember to get mercon V, I used some chevron Dextron III before that and it worked well too (some people also say to use Dextron III but the dealer told me Mercon V, so that's what I use) but I found that the Mobile 1 fluid just shifted sooner and much crisper than the chevron, while as the chevron was just overall much smoother than the mobile 1.

the how-to explains it, but just remember than you must make sure that you put in the correct amount of ATF fluid and that it's as close to the full mark as possible, if you need to drain some fluid and put some back in then do it.

Last edited:
Tranny Flush

Hey I was wondering if theres a DIY on an auto transmission flush. I got 167000 miles on my 99 dx and Im wanting to flush it and go to the Mobil 1. I looked for a DIY but couldnt find one.

Back