Auto trans life expectancy?

I just had the auto trans go out completely on my 2000 LX with 80k miles. It dropped out of gear at about 40 mph. I took it immediately to my mechanic (about two miles away... I could still limp it) and he took a look at it. Told me the pump went out on me and it dumped all the fluid and was burning what was left. He said there wasn't really anything I could have done to prevent it... just dumb luck.

Anyway, I went ahead and had him put in a used transmission I got from a very reputable salvage yard. I absolutely love my Protege, but now I'm considering getting rid of it because of this. Anybody else know of any tranny problems? Or do you think I'll be good for a while with the used one?

Any advice would help. I really love my car, but if it'll strand me again I will love it a whole lot less.

To me mazda tranny is lame change the oil every 4 month.My friend Sport 20 is a 2000 model and it still going.

yeah the auto tranny suck ass from what i hear, you gotta swap out for a manual

wait till the auto burns, swap manual, then install turbo later, the 1.6 LOVES the turbo from what i hear

i have 86000k maybe i shud look out for this. ive never touched my tranny fluid since i bought it at 50k. yeah u shud of found a mani somewhere

Change my auto trans fluid very 30K, I'm crossing my fingers with 115K on it...so far so good.(whitepro)

Tranny Probs

I just got a 99 Protege. It has 167,000 miles, and everything is still perfect. Im sure the autos arent great, but if its babied, itll be fine.

Original owner here with 150K on our 2000 LX and no tranny problems. I changed the trans fluid at 33K , then 90K, and haven't since. Damn its overdue, but the fluid looks fine.

bought mine with 64k on it. at 95k now and still no fluid change. runs very smooth and the fluid still is in good appearance.

waitingn for mine to blow then ill go 5speed... its only a matter of time... turbo+ auto +10psi.... = trouble... lol., first gear slips if i dont feather it..

Back