HOW TO: Change Rear Discs/Pads on Mazda 3

Hope someone can answer this. I go to store for the rental and the fellow takes me over to the brake stuff aisle and hands me a box shaped universal adapter with different tab configurations on each face, as is square opening on the faces for a 3/8 ratchet. to turn the piston, the fellow says. Ok. but looking at the nifty harbor tool I considered the process. How can i compress the caliper piston properly and how many turns are needed?. Probably over thinking it but it gave me pause and I did not do them today. Any thoughts out there on this I hope?

Hope someone can answer this. I go to store for the rental and the fellow takes me over to the brake stuff aisle and hands me a box shaped universal adapter with different tab configurations on each face, as is square opening on the faces for a 3/8 ratchet. to turn the piston, the fellow says. Ok. but looking at the nifty harbor tool I considered the process. How can i compress the caliper piston properly and how many turns are needed?. Probably over thinking it but it gave me pause and I did not do them today. Any thoughts out there on this I hope?
I have not had a lot of luck with those. You might get it to work, but the HF tool is much better. It is hard to push and twist, and keep the pins in the holes. Of course, it has to have a set of pins that actually match the piston.

I have not had a lot of luck with those. You might get it to work, but the HF tool is much better. It is hard to push and twist, and keep the pins in the holes. Of course, it has to have a set of pins that actually match the piston.
Yes It is a universal. I would think that if I rotate the piston say a quarter turn, with the 3/8 ratchet and wait a moment, the hydraulic backpressure should have relieved and I can give it another quarter turn repeating the process.

Yes It is a universal. I would think that if I rotate the piston say a quarter turn, with the 3/8 ratchet and wait a moment, the hydraulic backpressure should have relieved and I can give it another quarter turn repeating the process.
I say give it a try, but be prepared for it to not work. It's cheap to try.

Back