Door Lock Actuator Problem

FastPro22

:
2003 Protege 5
Recently my door lock actuator stopped working, last weekend I finally replaced it. It was fairly easy only took me 1 hour and a 5 min. beer break. Anyway, I decided to further examine the old door lock actuator, why did it stop working. I openned up the electronic piece and found one of the plastic gears broken. It looks like cheap plastic to me and that motor looks like something from a battery operated car toy.

Attachments

• IMG_0459 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    IMG_0459 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3,827
FastPro22 said:
Recently my door lock actuator stopped working, last weekend I finally replaced it. It was fairly easy only took me 1 hour and a 5 min. beer break. Anyway, I decided to further examine the old door lock actuator, why did it stop working. I openned up the electronic piece and found one of the plastic gears broken. It looks like cheap plastic to me and that motor looks like something from a battery operated car toy.
lol, it looks exactly like the motors from those japanese car toys! I think it's a very common motor, though.

My left rear door just recently stopped opening from the inside. I'll have to pull off the panels next weekend and see what's up...

Yeah, that does look like some pretty cheap plastic. :(

BadKarma said:
that does look like some pretty cheap plastic. :(
Welcome to the wonderful world of technology..Make it cheaper,lighter and faster.
Enjoy!

Anyone know where to get a cheap door lock motor for a 99 protege? They are $90 at the dealership, so I was hoping for cheaper.

ncsukingpin said:
Anyone know where to get a cheap door lock motor for a 99 protege? They are $90 at the dealership, so I was hoping for cheaper.

That was the one of the best things about my old 323 - manual everything. That beast was 18 years old when I finally sold it. Sure, it rattled like a tin can full of marbles, but the windows and locks all still worked. (It also got 27 MPG driving the same route that gives me 22 in the P5, but the 323 was a manual and the P5 is an automatic, and that's most of the difference.)

if it is a 2wire or even a 5wire u can get them from a local car stereo shop...it wont actually bolt up like factory but after u get it mounted and functional hook up the wire (if using a 2wire) and test if it operates opposite of other DL's then reverse the 2wires. if it's a 5wire then the polarities of the wires will have to been tested. i never looked to see yet how many wires there are so good luck
ncsukingpin said:

meh. Just go to a junkyard for it. It is not a recurring porblem for our cars (not like the fan ballast resistor) so it is a good junkyard candidate.

P-Funk! said:
meh. Just go to a junkyard for it. It is not a recurring porblem for our cars (not like the fan ballast resistor) so it is a good junkyard candidate.

What is this problem with the fan ballast resistor that you are talking about?

My car too

FastPro22 said:

Same thing keeps happening on my 2001, with the same gear failure. I'm replacing the driver side actuator for the 3rd time. Seems like the worm gear is under-designed. I wonder if the small limit switch is supposed to keep the actuator from being overdriven - like when you hit the door lock on the key remote and the door is already locked?

Are the actuaors the same all the way around? What I'm trying to say is would a drivers side one work on the passenger side etc!

The fan ballast resistor i mentioned is really the 'a/c cuts off in switch position 1, 2, or 3 but is okay in 4 (high)' issue.

Fixing the plastic worm gear

Your photo of the worm gear explains the problem well, it really is a bad design. 2 years since your posting and still no suppliers of the 50 cent plastic gear. The dealers want $200 for the combined door lock mechanism and the wreckers want $160 for the same. I drilled a 1.5mm hole up the centre of the plastic gear and superglued a nail in place, this meant the auto lock worked well but I was slightly off line in my drilling so the manual interlock becomes too stiff to work. This is because the worm does not liked to be pushed the other way, any friction is magnified and being slightly off line some binding occurs, lubrication of the plastic does not help, they are probably better dry.

onlinemazdaparts dot com

Are the actuaors the same all the way around? What I'm trying to say is would a drivers side one work on the passenger side etc!
No, there are left & rights, front & rears.

I'm wondering the same thing. anybody know the answer to this?

All i found on the forum was 1 part number: BJ3D59350

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123648455&highlight=door+lock
Not sure about part numbers but I'd guess that there are different part numbers for all 4- front L & front R, rear L & rear R. The rears are different from sedan to wagon too.

see links below. 44.00 for fronts - 40.00 for rears......

Here's links to the acutators on onlinmazdaparts dot com..........

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...tege&year=2003&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...tege&year=2003&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0
More questions? Call them. Jason will hook you up. Very helpful/knowledgeable. Have used them exclusively for oem parts many times.

Oh, junkyard is good too, just to get by, but why take the door apart just to have junkyard part fail the same way only sooner?

Last edited:
Since I posted this I have replaced 3 other door lock actuators. Today, it happened again, driver's side, that's the 2nd one on that door. This really sucks! I don't think I'm going to replace these actuators anymore, I GIVE UP! Don't like to spend $40 per actuator per year, that's just riduculous.

I have a brand new OEM L rear door lock actuator. Swear I will have proper pics up tonight.

$44 delivered

Last edited:
So far I have had to replace the rear passenger side door.
Now I have to do the front passenger side door. It sucks that I always have to manually lock that door!!

I need to replace the rear passenger side. Does anybody have one or know the part number? Thanks.

Back