Unlock trip computer on non GT MS3

CosmicMS3

:
Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3
I found this on another forum. I tried it in my MS3 sport and it worked! This unlocks the trip computer on non GT 3 models, I don't know how it works on non speed 3's or other Mazdas. I copied and pasted what I found below:

GT models come with trip computers. But it appears that owners of 2006+ non-GT models can unlock their trip computers. This seems safe, but I can't guarantee it. So proceed at your own risk.

The info comes from Andres (deco79) on m**************** (http://**********************/index.php?topic=67707.150). Scan down to a post by deco79. It appears that everyone with 2006 and 2007 models that's tried it since yesterday's post has gotten it to work. Here's the simple procedure than was posted. It's been refined a bit in later posts.

- Before you start the engine, hold the CD and AM/FM buttons.
- Start the engine (keep holding the CD and AM/FM buttons).
- After a few seconds, you should see the display read "DIS ON" (driver information system)
- Stop the engine.
- Start the engine again.
- Touch the SET button to see the trip computer.
- Touch the TIME button to see the time.

Your owners manual explains how to use the trip computer. With the ignition switch ON, press the SET button (manual says INFO button) to cycle through these 4 options.

- CONSUM CUR: Current fuel economy (calculated every 2 seconds)
- CONSUM AV: Average fuel economy (since battery was connected or resetting the trip computer, displayed every minute, to clear: hold SET for 1+ seconds until the display clears)
- REMNG: Distance you can travel on remaining fuel (must add more than 5.3 gallons to reset it)
- AV: Average vehicle speed (displayed every 10 seconds, to clear: hold SET for 1+ seconds until display clears)

Totally cool, this was one of the features I was bummed about not having on my MS3

Glad ya posted it in the how to... would like to add that you dont need to start the engine... turning key to the ACC position will work just as well (verified as this is what I did on my unlock)

I posted this 2 days ago in the lounge, but this is a better spot for it. it also works on any 2006 and 2007 mazda 3.

That is one of the neatest freebies I've ever seen.

So simple, and yet so effective of a mod. Well done. Who figured this out, and how?

fourthmeal said:
That is one of the neatest freebies I've ever seen.

So simple, and yet so effective of a mod. Well done. Who figured this out, and how?

Someone who originally had the trip computer accidentally used a button combination to deactivate his trip computer, and Mazda gave him the button combo to turn it back on, which just so happened to work on NA '06-'07 that didn't originally have it to begin with.

The OP posted the person who first figured out that the button combo to reactivate the DIS would also work on vehicles that didn't have it activated to begin with... (cool)

I have a MS3 GT with the stock trip computer. For giggles, I tried the magic combo and indeed it said DIS ON, even though it was already enabled. Subsequent tries said nothing. So even though it was originally enabled, the trick seems to have tried to turn it on again, but after that it won't do it again. Strange.

By the way, I was bored and spent a lot of time systemantically pushing and holding different combinations of buttons and key off/on and didn't come up with anything new. Damn CD still won't play MP3s! (bang)

If you hold down the SAT and MEDIA buttons you should be able to turn the DIS OFF. Then you can turn it ON again using the above procedure, if you're so inclined.

I found the secret combo to turn off the trq steer control. now i have all my ponies down low its AWESOME!

problem is i forgot the sequence :D

justa4banger said:
I found the secret combo to turn off the trq steer control. now i have all my ponies down low its AWESOME!

problem is i forgot the sequence :D

You better figure out how to do the trq steer combo...LOL. I cant wait to get my car back do I can do this trip combo. Man that would be sweet. I was hoping there was going to be a way to get one.

hyck said:
I wish I had a '06+ mz3, trip comp is kick azz :)
Actually I am quite disappointed. I have an aftermarket trip computer that plugs into the whatchamacallit port under the dashboard. It gives a lot more interesting information than Mazda's, including miles driven, gph, mpg, miles left, gallons used/left, average mpg, average speed, max speed, etc. etc., all selectable for trip/today/yesterday/tank. Also various sensor readings (like air intake temperature) and other things I don't even understand yet.

It's almost like Mazda designed an intentionally crippled trip computer, just like they designed a crippled (non-MP3-capable) audio system.

Chuckles said:
Actually I am quite disappointed. I have an aftermarket trip computer that plugs into the whatchamacallit port under the dashboard. It gives a lot more interesting information than Mazda's, including miles driven, gph, mpg, miles left, gallons used/left, average mpg, average speed, max speed, etc. etc., all selectable for trip/today/yesterday/tank. Also various sensor readings (like air intake temperature) and other things I don't even understand yet.

It's almost like Mazda designed an intentionally crippled trip computer, just like they designed a crippled (non-MP3-capable) audio system.

If you are talking about the Scanguage II that was the subject of a recent group buy then you should understand that the scanguage is a lot more than just a trip computer. The trip computer is just fine for most people (Yes I said MOST)

Now, on the MP3 compatibility I'm 100% in agreement.

Latest posts

Back